Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where does everyone live

Where does everyone live

Old Aug 20th 2012, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where does everyone live

Originally Posted by phyns
And why did you choose to live there.

Me and the family. Now in West Yorkshire but if the move back home happens we'll be moving to Mount Maunganui or Papamoa because of family there, good climate and a good place for one of my businesses.

I love my home town of Taihape. You can still buy a 4 bedroom home on a acre section for under $300000 but it's just a wee bit small (the town that is) for the wife.

I'd love to know peoples reasons for settling where they have and why. I'm sure it would be helpful to potential expats.
Originally from Bellshill, (just outside Glasgow) now living in Rolleston (just outside Christchurch) loving it
Old Aug 20th 2012, 12:38 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HeatherGirl
We're from the very north of Scotland and moving to Hawera, Taranaki on Saturday! We're going there as that's where my OH was offered a job. Think it's very rural but less than an hour to New Plymouth (and compared to where we're from it'll be positively cosmoplolitan!)
Good luck. I live in Wanganui, that's about one and a quarter hour's drive from Hawera. I had an interview at the council in Hawera but I didn't get the job. Good luck with all your plans.

We, by that I mean Debbie, could meet up with you if you would like. I realise your head will be all over the place on arrival. What job will your OH be doing if you don't mind me asking.

Hawera reminded me of small town Scotland with regard to shops etc. No doubt your idea of small town Scotland will be different to mine ! I had a friend in Inverness many years ago. Are you even further north than that ?

Last edited by Snap Shot; Aug 20th 2012 at 12:40 am.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

Ex Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to all

Whilst living in Spain we decided to return to Australia & move from Sydney to Perth . However someone convinced me that NZ would be closer to our children in NSW & QLD.

I hopped on a plane landed in Auckland & fell in love with Mission Bay.www.missionbay.co.nz Most importantly it was close to a lovely beachfront for walking. Close to the city with good public transport if I did not want to drive. Close to the supermarket & all other shops & services. 6 screen cinema & lots of cafes & restaurants.10 minutes from major hospital.
Nice safe area & lastly it reminded me of the place I spent my childhood in South Africa.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

HeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to all

Good luck. I live in Wanganui, that's about one and a quarter hour's drive from Hawera. I had an interview at the council in Hawera but I didn't get the job. Good luck with all your plans.

We, by that I mean Debbie, could meet up with you if you would like. I realise your head will be all over the place on arrival. What job will your OH be doing if you don't mind me asking.

Hawera reminded me of small town Scotland with regard to shops etc. No doubt your idea of small town Scotland will be different to mine ! I had a friend in Inverness many years ago. Are you even further north than that ?
Thanks Debbie,

Bad luck on the job front at the council, from looking at seek.nz there doesn't seem to be many jobs in the area, other than dairy work, trades or engineering. I'm a teacher but I may have to end up packing milk cartons!

Inverness is our nearest large town/city which is over 2 hours away. I live in the most northernly town on the British mainland so as I say, I'm used to being out in the sticks! And the weather will be a definite improvement for us, no doubt about that!

Would love to meet up sometime - Wanganui looks nice, I remember it was featured in the Australia/NZ magazine, a feature on reasonable property prices there in comparison to other areas of the North Island. Will send you a PM on arrival.

HeatherGirl
Old Aug 20th 2012, 8:45 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Bon Voyage Heather Girl. PM me when ready. New Plymouth is your nearest large town as you've already said. We went to Pukekura Park in New Plymouth on Boxing Day last year and it was very nice. We went to a pop concert at Sentry Hill vineyard near New Plymouth in the summer too. Still odd to be hot and sunny at Christmas oh well, a change is as good as a rest !

Hawera, though not huge, has a historic tower. Easy parking at the shops. Coming from, Wick is it ? You might not see a great deal of difference. Kiwis can be reserved/off-hand. Don't take this personally, it's just their way. Which doesn't make it right, but hey ho.

Waverley and Patea are in driving distance but blink and you'll miss Patea but the beach there is nice.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 8:52 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Somerset> Herefordshire> Somerset> Hawkes Bay> NSW > Cambridge
Old Aug 20th 2012, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Sunderland to Wellington (north of the city)
Old Aug 20th 2012, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Somerset> Herefordshire> Somerset> Hawkes Bay> NSW > Cambridge
Interesting.

I'm assuming Cambridge, SE of Hamilton, as opposed to the University town.

Many people who aren't clear, or refuse to understand why I'm heading to NZ ask me why I'm going to NZ and tell me Australia is the better option.

In time, I imagine Australia won't be unlikely.

So, if you pardon my asking, why; Hawkes Bay> NSW > Cambridge?
Old Aug 21st 2012, 12:22 am
jjg
Numpty

jjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of light

Bolton to Renting in Papanui, Christchurch (awaiting rebuild on the hill)
Old Aug 21st 2012, 10:07 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sirplug
Was in landlocked Nottinghamshire.....now living North of Auckland, on the Whangaparaoa Peninsula, right by the sea!
Us too! Well in Leicestershire, like Nottingham but less gunfire
Old Aug 21st 2012, 3:33 pm
Account Closed

justjo76 is just really nicejustjo76 is just really nicejustjo76 is just really nicejustjo76 is just really nicejustjo76 is just really nicejustjo76 is just really nicejustjo76 is just really nicejustjo76 is just really nice

Originally Posted by simonsi
Us too! Well in Leicestershire, like Nottingham but less gunfire
LOL! Whereabouts in Leicestershire? I was born there.. returned for a 2 days visit once in all 37 years . Nottingham has some nice spots
Old Aug 21st 2012, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by justjo76
LOL! Whereabouts in Leicestershire? I was born there.. returned for a 2 days visit once in all 37 years . Nottingham has some nice spots
From Brighton to Gothenburg to Hove(actually) to Auckland and now Titirangi
Old Aug 21st 2012, 8:42 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by justjo76
Sileby
Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:21 pm
Account Closed

justjo76 is just really nicejustjo76 is just really nicejustjo76 is just really nicejustjo76 is just really nicejustjo76 is just really nicejustjo76 is just really nicejustjo76 is just really nicejustjo76 is just really nice

Originally Posted by simonsi
Sileby
not heard of that , but i reckon that's a posh place compared to where i was born. Beaumont Fleas I think i heard it being named once . Charming never been back so I wouldn't know
Old Aug 27th 2012, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

gaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nice

Doncaster - Reading - Osnabruck - Catterick - Paderborn - Dover - Fallingbostel - Monchengladbach - DUNEDIN (I was in the Army so moved around a lot!!!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.