Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where does everyone live

Where does everyone live

Old Aug 17th 2012, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

phyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud of
Default Where does everyone live

And why did you choose to live there.

Me and the family. Now in West Yorkshire but if the move back home happens we'll be moving to Mount Maunganui or Papamoa because of family there, good climate and a good place for one of my businesses.

I love my home town of Taihape. You can still buy a 4 bedroom home on a acre section for under $300000 but it's just a wee bit small (the town that is) for the wife.

I'd love to know peoples reasons for settling where they have and why. I'm sure it would be helpful to potential expats.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where does everyone live

My wife and I from Sunny Scarborough, North Yorkshire. Now happily residing in Christchurch. The father in law moved here 5 years ago and we arrived last November.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 8:59 pm
Movin on

skends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to behold

we are near Portsmouth, Hampshire and soon hopefully Christchurch. Secured a job at the hospital.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 9:03 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I moved back to my home town of Auckland (was in London). Two reasons. One, I have family there, two, I have set up my own business and Auckland is where most of the work is. I'm not really a small town girl.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Auckland. Reasons: I like cities and most jobs are in Auckland.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

bigjohnny7 is just really nicebigjohnny7 is just really nicebigjohnny7 is just really nicebigjohnny7 is just really nicebigjohnny7 is just really nicebigjohnny7 is just really nicebigjohnny7 is just really nicebigjohnny7 is just really nice

Ex-Oldham, now living happily in Howick.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 10:07 pm
Account Closed

DandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond repute

Was living in the dizzy heights of Bedfordshire, now happily living in the even dizzier heights of Invercargill (and loving it)
Old Aug 17th 2012, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Born in Hampshire, family home in Andover, schooled in the Royal County of Berkshire, then Southampton for uni, currently residing in Brentford, West London.

Next year, moving to Auckland to be a JAFA because that's where family and friends are.

I for one hope my wife gets her dream of working with DOC at some point, because, in time, who knows where that'll lead in terms of location? Exciting.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

I came from Kilmarnock which is near to Glasgow.
I could have pretty much gone anywhere in NZ as my job is in shortage in most places. I chose Rotorua as it looked good on paper and the population was just a bit higher than where I came from (Kilmarnock-45,000 - Rotorua 60,000) so I figured it would even up pretty well.

Big mistake, I realised pretty quickly that population means nothing and that Rotorua was much more like small town UK. I also realised that I'm much more of a city girl and that the outdoor life really doesnt appeal to me that much.

So now I"m in Auckland. Pretty central at the moment but due to move to the North Shore in the next few weeks. I love it here, lots more social opportunities and lots more to do in general. I can work the way I want to up here and earn over twice as much as I did in Rotorua (and in the UK)

Auckland all the way for me.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 2:28 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Good on you Lisa ! I remember your worries last year about moving from Rotorua to Auckland and start your job within 48 hours ! You did it though !

We are from Surrey, I was born and raised there. My husband is a British born kiwi from Auckland. His mother and sister live in Auckland. His view of Auckland is very much, been there, done that, bought the t-shirt.

We live in Wanganui which is a town of about 48,000 people two and a half hours drive from Wellington. We eventually came here for my husband's job last June. Ironically enough, he works for DOC.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

We are in Christchurch - it is the place we like best
Old Aug 18th 2012, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

UKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud of

Just moved to Papanui, Christchurch today!
Old Aug 18th 2012, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

Tray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by phyns
And why did you choose to live there.

Me and the family. Now in West Yorkshire but if the move back home happens we'll be moving to Mount Maunganui or Papamoa because of family there, good climate and a good place for one of my businesses.

I love my home town of Taihape. You can still buy a 4 bedroom home on a acre section for under $300000 but it's just a wee bit small (the town that is) for the wife.

I'd love to know peoples reasons for settling where they have and why. I'm sure it would be helpful to potential expats.
We settled in Nelson but chose Sumner, Christchurch as we had two fantastic holidays in Southshore. Loved living by the sea then hopping on a bus & being in the CBD in 20 mins. We live 20 mins out of Nelson now & are loving it too
Old Aug 18th 2012, 6:37 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Was in landlocked Nottinghamshire.....now living North of Auckland, on the Whangaparaoa Peninsula, right by the sea!
Old Aug 18th 2012, 6:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally come from a Lancashire town famous for glass manufacture, then spent 12+years in a Staffordshire town famous for beer production. Now I live near the end of the Whangaparaoa peninsula, famous for nowt!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.