Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where do you start?

Where do you start?

Old Feb 20th 2012, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

Liss01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where do you start?

Hi, we're in the very early stages of looking into moving to New Zealand but have no idea where to start.

My husband works for British Gas and is a qualified gas engineer and i have worked in childcare (0-5 years mostly) for 11 years.

We have 3 children aged 6,4 and 3.

I've been browsing the immigration website and understand the EOI (although im not sure which category we both come under) so im struggling to work out our points.

Are there any set orders in which to do things? We're also not sure where to look at moving to as it would need to be somewhere with schools and for us to work but to be honest i've not got much of a clue

Any help would be ever so much appreciated.

Many thanks.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 8:31 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Where do you start?

Hi there and welcome to our cosy wee NZ forum.

In short it would be the skilled migrant or work to residence but a job offer would probably be needed.

Intro threads close after a week so jump on over to our main NZ chat forum and also to our Immy section and ask away.

Look forward to seeing you there.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 9:47 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Can I ask why you want to come to New Zealand, do you have ties here, been here and liked it etc ?
Old Feb 20th 2012, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Liss01 & to our (mostly) friendly NZ forums. As BEVS says head over to the Immigration & our chat forums & you'll find out more there.

Happy posting
Old Feb 20th 2012, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Can I ask why you want to come to New Zealand, do you have ties here, been here and liked it etc ?
Hi there!! I think you need to ask your self why you want to do 'it'. Indeed as above ....why NZ? Why not Canada or more importantly why not Oz? We have been here 7 years and we came here because 15 years before during my world travels I came to NZ and loved the place. Oz was not an option as its too big, too hot and Kate hates snakes...BIG TIME! Never thought of Canada..I think I side lined it as Kate would have had issues driving on the other side!!!! The snake thing re Ox is a weak excuse but she is the bread winner!!

In 7 tears of NZ (Freudian typo??) we have had our ups and downs but never regreted coming here. Yes, sometimes we pull our hair out at attitudes and behaviour that irk us but we have a quality of life here that we could not possibly emulate in the UK, plus there is no one here!! I love empty beaches and crowds REALLY stress me so NZ is fine in that area.

But many people really hate Nz and have to leave, we are losing a HUGE amount of people to Oz...you have to ask your self why eh?

Have you been? Isolation, lack of choice and limited things to do of a 'cultural' nature are issues for others. Personally where we live there is so much to do you can shake a stick at it!!! And we are in the 2nd dullest town in Nz (apparently!!). I am told Hamilton is 1st..I am sure others will disagree!!!!!
Old Feb 21st 2012, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

On the plus side (even though I'm planning a future return to the uk) NZ has a lot to offer if you dont get hung up
on money, finances and the differences between here and the UK (which we grumbles about regularly on here.
Its a fabulous place to live and bring up kids and while they are a little odd at times, kiwis are very friendly and welcoming folk.
Are you a qualified teacher?? if not I'd say go with your hubby as the main applicant as his skills will probably earn more points.
As the application goes through brace yourself for some hefty charges and plan ahead by having medicals sorted (check what they look for and have any info ready)
and be ready to submit police checks, also get your house valued and ready to sell and start checking out the various city's in NZ
so you have an idea of where you'd like to live
Old Feb 21st 2012, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

Liss01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, thanks for the replys.

In answer to the most poular question, we would like to come to NZ as my Mother in law has some friends there who have lived there for 30+ years and love it, brought their kids up etc. We also want to bring our kids up in a different society than the UK ones as we're pretty fed up with it all to be honest. We want them to enjoy life not just live it (i hope that makes sense). I also wouldnt want to move to oz as i also have a huge fear of snakes and we have always had our heart on NZ even when we first discussed it 8 years ago.

Our house is already on the market, just needs a bit of a boot when we want to move as the markets have slowed down so i think we'll probably drop the price.

Unfortunatly i'm not qualified but i have very good references and years of experience so we will probably go with my husband as the main.

We are looking at Dunedin if anyone has any experience around that area of what types of jobs are in need?

Many thanks for all your replys. Will make my way over to the other forum too.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 3:32 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to the New Zealand section of BE from the Consierge in Spain.

You will find excellent information in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

BE Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font. Also there are Consierges who can support and guide you.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 1st 2012, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

burltonc is an unknown quantity at this point

By the way "Vector" is the company here most similar to British Gas / national grid. You may wish to contact them to see if they are in need of people. You never know they may even help you get over here if they are desperate for people and getting a visa will be alot easier if you have a job offer.