Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where do you start?

Where do you start?

Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

samsuth has a brilliant futuresamsuth has a brilliant futuresamsuth has a brilliant futuresamsuth has a brilliant futuresamsuth has a brilliant futuresamsuth has a brilliant futuresamsuth has a brilliant future
Question Where do you start?

Hi

My husband has just been offered a job in Blenheim, we have now just started the immigration process but there seems so much to do in such a short space of time. We walk around the house (which is going up for sale shortly) wondering when and how do you decide what to take with you? Any suggestions??
Old Jan 6th 2008, 1:22 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where do you start?

Hi, yes there is a lot to do but you'll be amazed at how you manage to get through it all.

Start with de cluttering to get the house ready for the market and then try to bring as much as possible to save the expense when you arrive. Of course you may just decide to get rid of everything and start anew and save the expense of shipping it all.

Good luck.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

wilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by samsuth

Hi

My husband has just been offered a job in Blenheim, we have now just started the immigration process but there seems so much to do in such a short space of time. We walk around the house (which is going up for sale shortly) wondering when and how do you decide what to take with you? Any suggestions??
Congratulations on the job offer!

We're at a similar point you guys are at, got the job offer and the house has just gone on the market this week. Whats your timescale? We began de-cluttering last year, and have moved into overdrive the last couple of weeks. Are you planning on buying or renting when you get there? Is your furniture/ white goods any good, and worth shipping, or would you prefer to take the money and get things there? Apparently white goods are expensive in NZ, but then so is shipping - I got quotes for half a container, which would take about the contents of a 2 bed house, and it was in the region of £3-£5000. As none of our white goods or furniture are brand new or worth a lot, we've decided to get rid of it, and just ship out 15 or so boxes with personal stuff in-books, dvd's, kids toys etc, which will cost us around £5-£700.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:52 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

Sorth out everthing into 3 groups,
1. Definatley Keep
2. Maybe keep
3. Dont Keep

Then Chuck out groups 2 and 3
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:52 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Hi Samsuth

We're down the road in sunny Renwick. I have to say you have made an excellent choice in Blenheim, although if we continue like this we could be full by the end of the year!!!

We did the decluttering thing in stages; the dreaded loft was first and either bunged stuff on eBay, returned it to it's rightful owner or chucked it in the skip . We then went through the whole house ( several times!!) until we were satisfied that we had decluttered enough.

What my DH failed to realise at the time, was that whilst he was decluttering, I was buying new stuff, so probably didn't get rid of that much in the end

My advise is start sooner rather than later
Old Jan 7th 2008, 11:43 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Everone is different but we pretty much sold almost everything. Sent over 1 sq metre and what we could carry (oh yea and 2 cats) and then started fresh over here. Enjoyed not having all the crap and starting from fresh. You have picked a great area we live just down the road and love the south island.
Good luck
Darren
Old Jan 8th 2008, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Emyorks will become famous soon enoughEmyorks will become famous soon enough

Hi Samsuth

We're moving out to Blenheim at the end of Jan! So we'll see you there!
Our container went just before Christmas - i think it sailed today so hope the seas are calm, I don't want to turn on the tv and see our stuff being picked off a beach in Devon!!

Anyway we had too much stuff orig for 20ft container so got rid of stuff that could, at the end of the day, be replaced...beds...old white goods and tried to keep hold of the stuff that meant something or was desperatley needed. The packers were amazing though and at the end of filling the container there was room for 1 small box - at this point i nearly climbed in the space myself!

I tried to keep the very bare minimum with us clothes wise for luggage purposes on our flight but ummmmmm.... i have just been shopping