Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where do you go on Holiday when living in NZ?..

Where do you go on Holiday when living in NZ?..

Old Jan 30th 2008, 5:28 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do you go on Holiday when living in NZ?..

Not entirely sure yet where we're going for our first hols, but will definitely be going skiing up around Ruapehu sometime this winter. Invitation from Colin (thank you Colin! ). Can't wait to hit the slopes again! Though the apres-ski is usually just as much fun as the actual skiing.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garryhg
hi sarah,coramandel is lovely,we went to Matarangi last year for a week,going there again at easter,had a great time,scenery is spectacular.....

you will have to go on the mountain railway in coramandel town,kids will love it......jacky
Hi Jacky... thanks, I do hope we get to go. Hayley doesnt travel too well for long in the car so we thought Coromandel wasnt too far to go.

Jude, hiya hows it going? Is there anything else that we should do or see if we get to go there?... and also where's a nice town for us to stay... where would you recommend?
Old Jan 30th 2008, 6:19 am
Fight for the republic.

Cava Fizz has a spectacular aura aboutCava Fizz has a spectacular aura aboutCava Fizz has a spectacular aura about

So far i've been pretty lucky.

Been Skiing on Mt Ruapehu - was awesome but i've only been skiing once before so probably not the best judge.

Pahia, Bay of Islands - beautiful saw dolphins probably don't need more than a weekend though

Karikari peninsula - beautiful Matai bay one of the nicest beaches i've seen

Queenstown - Fun fun some amazing drives

Abel Tasman - wasn't there for long enough

Rotorua - Most over hyped place in NZ, still good if you head to Tarawera though

Dunedin & Otago Peninsula / southland - the best place i've been was so good saw Hector Doplhins, yellow eyed penguins and fur seals all completely naturally. The best beaches i've seen in NZ aswell.

I've done alright in 7 months!

Regarding coromandel been both sides for over night stays go to Eastern side and stay by cooks beach or flaxmill bay is so beautiful and lots to do and you can get the very cheap ferry over to busier part forgotten name!!! Someone

Last edited by Cava Fizz; Jan 30th 2008 at 6:21 am.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 10:06 am
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

Can I ask anyone, how long it would take to drive from Alk to Bay of Islands. Takes us 3 hrs to get to Akl from Tauranga.
We had couple days away in Coromandel, stayed in Coromandel town, Restaurant in Coromandel Hotel was amazing food. Then the drive over to the eastern coast was quite spectacular, had the afternoon on Hot water beach and stopped off in some other places on way down the coast, all lovely.

We would like a long weekend in Bay of Islands, any suggestions as to must see's there or places to stay ?
Thanks
Old Jan 30th 2008, 5:44 pm
Fight for the republic.

Cava Fizz has a spectacular aura aboutCava Fizz has a spectacular aura aboutCava Fizz has a spectacular aura about

AKL - BOI approx 3.5 hours. The centrabay lodge in Pahia is good for cheap accommdation. Do the fullers cream trip. Don't bother with the BBQ extra though.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:09 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

We've been to the Bay of Islands a few times, been to Rotorua and Corromandel the first year we were here. Last year was fantastic - we had a weekend in Wellington, one in Waipu and another in Wanaka (all the Ws ). Then, ten of us went to Tonga for a week. Have to say, of all the places, Wanaka was just the best. It's sooo beautiful, especially in early winter when the trees are still turning colour - I miss that up here in Auckland. We're going up north somewhere next month for a long weekend - somewhere near Kaitaia I think - I'm obviously not organising it We're also thinking about going to Ireland at Christmastime - it'll depend on the money honey
Old Jan 30th 2008, 8:17 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets.

he he he.

Seriously, if you are going to go away, wherever you go, if you are trying to save money (not sure if you are or not though) but don’t want to camp, keep an eye out for tourist flats or tourist cabins in camping grounds. They often have very similar amenities to a regular motel but are cheaper. If you want to camp, get onto the Department of Conservation website www.doc.govt.nz where there is a huge range of accommodation options. And, if you go skiing on Ruapehu (in fact, pretty much any ski area), ring the ski lodges for accommodation options. I know Forest & Bird has a ski lodge (which I have used) up at Whakapapa village for something like $22 a night – very good rates as it is centrally heated and has a full kitchen! Bit basic but that’s ok. Scripture Union also has a lodge which they rent out for a similar price. Its a nicer lodge but no alcohol is allowed. That was the deciding factor...

Growing up we always went to a camping ground where we had our caravan (ok it had a tv, video, sega and a bathroom…). I swore for years I would never go back there. As I have gotten older (grand old age of 28) I realised that it wasn’t such a bad thing to do each summer! We went on other holidays around the place at different periods throughout the year but summer was always a beach holiday. June/July is when people go off to the Pacific Islands, Australia and Bali (in particular) and get some sun! or to the mountains for a snow holiday. January was for the NZ beach holiday. Works quite well methinks

Last edited by Kiwiprincess; Jan 30th 2008 at 8:21 pm. Reason: smilie face came out wrong :)
Old Jan 30th 2008, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SarahB
Jude, hiya hows it going? Is there anything else that we should do or see if we get to go there?... and also where's a nice town for us to stay... where would you recommend?
Hi Sarah. I would second what jacky has said about the railway, it is great! Lola loved it.
We stayed in Kennedy Bay last time but it was half and hour drive over the hills on a twisty gravel road from Coromandel Town and there is nothing there apart form a few bachs and a beach! That's what we wanted though so we loved it, but if Hayley doesn't travel very well then I wouldn't recommend it. We have also stayed in Matarangi, Whitianga and Coromandel Town. All are lovely, Whitianga is probably the best out of those as there is loads to do without too much car travel, unless you do the railway then you have to go to Coromandel! Its about half hour drive from Whitianga. Loads of boat trips from Whitianga, the beaches are lovely, we spent ages at low tide on the estuary bit looking for starfish.
There are loads of places we haven't been to yet over there but I dont think you can go wrong really!