Where do we start

Old Apr 26th 2007, 9:46 am
Just Joined

BongoandTonic will become famous soon enough
Default Where do we start

Hi everyone, what a little godsend this forum is, I've learned so much, thank you.

Hope someone can help us. We have made the decision that we would like to live in NZ. We've looked at jobs and there are loads that we are qualified for so that's great. Only problem we have is, neither of us have got any degrees and on looking at websites these are needed. Is this really so? We have qualifications in our field (IT - Citrix, Microsoft, MSCE) and doesn't experience count for more?

So what do we do first, go for work permit or residency? Also how long does the whole process take?

Can someone be encouraging and say we don't need a Batchelor of Science to get in.

Frustrated in Norwich
Old Apr 26th 2007, 9:59 am
Account Closed

eileen35 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where do we start

Hi there,
we are going as tourists and applying for work permits from there.
that means selling home here and taking huge gamble that we are going to like N.Z.
But i cant wait,through sites like these and my space,we,ve had stacks info and advice and do believe we are going to love it.
So thats our option as its quicker,if house sells fast,which hopefully will,and we have to have return tickets,which gives us choice if things arent what we think,well we can say we tried.
just be homeless
But we believe with determination it will work out fine.
so just thought id say hi
and thats our way of getting there.
Others will advise you on going through the skilled migrant way,which might appeal more to you. but sorry i know not a lot about that.
Good luck anyway,and im sure you,ll get loads help,if you want to ask me anything ,feel free to pm.
take care
Eileen
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:18 am
Just Joined

BongoandTonic will become famous soon enough

Thanks for that Eileen. That is a big gamble isn't it. We would love to know how you get on. What line of work are you in?

We don't have a problem leaving the UK, Rick was in the RAF and has moved all over the place and my dad was in the Army and I've moved all over the place with my family. As I say this is life it ain't a rehearsal and it's better to regret the things you've done than the things you haven't.

It is such a minefield as to how to get in to NZ it has completely left us exhausted.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest regards

Linda and Rick
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:32 am
Account Closed

eileen35 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi Linda and Rick
thats not so bad your used to travelling.
I dont work im a stay at home mum,even though their all at school.
Colin my hubby is in construction,external wall plastering,so as far as we know constructions booming in N.Z.
We are heading for south island,outskirts of Chch or Blenheim.
Going to hire a camper van and tour first so Colin can look for work and find place that suits us best.
We have a 15 yrold daughter going and a 5 yrold son.
What about yourselves,do yous know what part you fancy?
And do you have kids?
cheers
Eileen
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

StevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BongoandTonic
Hi everyone, what a little godsend this forum is, I've learned so much, thank you.

Hope someone can help us. We have made the decision that we would like to live in NZ. We've looked at jobs and there are loads that we are qualified for so that's great. Only problem we have is, neither of us have got any degrees and on looking at websites these are needed. Is this really so? We have qualifications in our field (IT - Citrix, Microsoft, MSCE) and doesn't experience count for more?

So what do we do first, go for work permit or residency? Also how long does the whole process take?

Can someone be encouraging and say we don't need a Batchelor of Science to get in.

Frustrated in Norwich
Hi guys. I was looking at this before we left (I'm Microsoft Certified Professional, but never got to the dizzy heights of MCSE!). It is my understanding that if you have a degree level qualification that is internationally recognised (such as MCSE, Citrix, even CompTIA) and sufficient working experience, then you should be ok.
It may be worthwhile checking with the NZQA, although they're not always a great help. Also, start looking for job opportunities now. With many you can apply prior to leaving UK and get a phone interview. If they offer you the job, and as long as the employer is on the NZIS list, you're a good way to getting in.
Lots of good info on the NZIS site. Trawl through everything on there. If you take a look on the long term skills shortage list, about page 3, you'll see that 'IT Professionals' is listed, with no qualifying requirements, so it might be worth a call to them to check out your quals and experience.

Anyway, good luck and happy hunting!!
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BongoandTonic

Frustrated in Norwich
I'm in exactly the same predictament as you. I think like me you have three options.

[1] Apply for jobs in NZ whilst in the UK, contact/send CV to all the agencies, but keep a track on what jobs your applying for and who you've sent your CV to.
[2] Get agencies in NZ to line up a whole series of interviews over a week and go out there for some face to face interviews, before coming back.
or
[3] Like Eileen, just go on a 6 month holiday visa and apply whilst there, but you need a bit of money behind you for this option, and i don't think you can ship your stuff out there (not that you'd want to) until you have a visa to work there.

I'm at stage [1] at the moment as that is what i promised the OH i'd do, before exploring the other two options.

Have you been out there yet? I found a big difference between Auckland and Wellington, but that might only be me.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:50 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
[3] Like Eileen, just go on a 6 month holiday visa and apply whilst there, but you need a bit of money behind you for this option, and i don't think you can ship your stuff out there (not that you'd want to) until you have a visa to work there.
I'm on a tourist visa and have shipped my stuff over (from Japan). Nobody in officialdom seemed to mind at all. Just had to clear customs like anybody else.

I think the attitude is, 'If you want to add $5,000 to your holiday expenses and ship your bed here then it's no skin of our nose'.

It's a laid-back country, you know.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:54 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

[1] Apply for jobs in NZ whilst in the UK, contact/send CV to all the agencies, but keep a track on what jobs your applying for and who you've sent your CV to.
[2] Get agencies in NZ to line up a whole series of interviews over a week and go out there for some face to face interviews, before coming back.
or

I'm at stage [1] at the moment as that is what i promised the OH I'd do, before exploring the other two options.

There is also a stage 4....come over on a holiday visa and hide in the mountains when the visa runs out.

There is NO way I would recommend this to anyone...but it is technically an option. Gareth Hunt (of The New Avengers) did this when he was young. He jumped ship in Wellington Harbour and I think it was 2 years before they caught him....or they caught him at once and he spent two years in prison....can't remember.

Anyway, I'd try option 2, if I were you, if it's possible.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

StevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Avid
There is also a stage 4....come over on a holiday visa and hide in the mountains when the visa runs out.

There is NO way I would recommend this to anyone...but it is technically an option. Gareth Hunt (of The New Avengers) did this when he was young. He jumped ship in Wellington Harbour and I think it was 2 years before they caught him....or they caught him at once and he spent two years in prison....can't remember.

Anyway, I'd try option 2, if I were you, if it's possible.
Looks like someone's having a similar problem in the Immigration forum at top of front page..under 'problems filling questions online' or something like that!
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StevieB
Looks like someone's having a similar problem in the Immigration forum at top of front page..under 'problems filling questions online' or something like that!
What Me! Love your avatar, Son drives me bonkers with Spongebob. Have some Karma...
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

What Me! Love your avatar, Son drives me bonkers with Spongebob. Have some Karma...
Why thank you. Can't beat a bit of the Spongemeister! However, like the retro theme you've got going!
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by StevieB
Why thank you. Can't beat a bit of the Spongemeister! However, like the retro theme you've got going!
gertanga maylabbawonga (Lenny Henry reference) It was my youth, i wonder how many others remember him - the mild mannered janitor.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:18 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

gertanga maylabbawonga (Lenny Henry reference) It was my youth, i wonder how many others remember him - the mild mannered janitor.
The sponge has departed - will I do?!
What about the Thundercats Not nearly as retro as your hong kong chappie but a classic in it's own right
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by karonious
The sponge has departed - will I do?!
What about the Thundercats Not nearly as retro as your hong kong chappie but a classic in it's own right
Lion-O - The Lord of the ThunderCats. Only he can wield the Sword of Omens and control the eye of Thundera that is embedded in the hilt.

Yep another classic. My all time fav is Danger Mouse. Don't think it was meant for kids
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:27 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Lion-O - The Lord of the ThunderCats. Only he can wield the Sword of Omens and control the eye of Thundera that is embedded in the hilt.

Yep another classic. My all time fav is Danger Mouse. Don't think it was meant for kids
Ahh, the magnificent Penfold........
And the Banana Splits - sheer childhood magic!
Sorry, this hijack will cease now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.