Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where do we meet other expats in Auckland?

Where do we meet other expats in Auckland?

Old Feb 15th 2006, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

adnyl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where do we meet other expats in Auckland?

Hi, we moved to Auckland mid last year and are having some difficulty settling down. Where is the best pub or other sch meeting place where I can find like minded people?
Old Feb 15th 2006, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Where do we meet other expats in Auckland?

Originally Posted by adnyl
Hi, we moved to Auckland mid last year and are having some difficulty settling down. Where is the best pub or other sch meeting place where I can find like minded people?
I cant really help much, but just thought id say we too had some difficulty making freinds easily in NZ, as people have less of a pub culture atmosphere here. im sure youre not the only one finding that.

What doe you mean by "like-minded", what sort of people are you looking to meet. You are probably more likely to make contacts signing up for somoe after work sports than necessarily in the pub. try looking into some of the 5- a side soccer leagues for example.

Kiwis are also more prone to invite people to their houses to entertain, and probably expect the same.

the bog in parnell is a good irish pub ands should have at least some irish expats, and there are plenty of pubs in the viaduct or along ponsonby road crowded over weekends

we are living in wellington now, so we are of no use to you!

maybe try and organise a BE auckland expat meetup on here.

you have to make it happen for yourself in NZ, its harder than in the UK where you soon find yourself part of an extended circle of friends meeting up to watch the football or whatever...
Old Feb 16th 2006, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

Stuee is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by adnyl

I have met hell of alot of expats just walking my dog along Long Bay beach on the shore. I will say though I dont go out of my way to get expat mates but I do have a few. The only danger is I feel (with wanting to meet expats) that if you surround yourself with expats and they are also having difficulties settling you may bring each other down.

Just getting out and meeting in people in general I think is the key, where ever they may be from.

After saying that I can sometimes be found keeping myself company in the Malt house at Greenhithe and I have been here for 5 years, if your ever passing come in and have a beer. Its a massive move you have done and these things take time, stick in there and I am sure it will all come good

Ian
Old Feb 17th 2006, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you try the NZ Dating website. Now that's not as odd as it sounds - you've got the option of searching for people looking for friends only. most people seem really genuine on there.

Someone suggested organising an Auckland meet up. We're keen if anyone else is.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 6:48 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about a dating website, you'll get some right weirdos on that -probably all saddos that post their details on expat forums etc !!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps someone should take the next step of suggesting a venue ??? and date ???...........