Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where do we begin?

Where do we begin?

Old Mar 5th 2007, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do we begin?

Originally Posted by Kiwibird
Hey I found the smilies again ! (Sorry, I don't do technical much - got a bit carried away then !) Thanks to everyone for their comments/support about the leaving parents thing - a couple of those experiences sounded very familiar ! We're hoping perhaps ours will reassess their views when we've actually got to NZ and settled in - perhaps then they'll see things from our side like we do from theirs - we'll see. Anyway, things are still very up in the air here - sold the house last monday and it fell thru on Thursday. Had some viewings yesterday which we should get feedback on tomorrow . Need to sell to get there - OH's new employers been great so far - they say to get there when we can but I guess they can't wait forever.

How have all your children coped with the prospect of moving/living there? Our girls (14 and 12) seem very up for it at the moment though I think it's beginning to kick in now. They've got some fantastic friends here but luckily MSN reigns ! The eldest is in year 10 and started her GCSE options - not sure what happens there. They're both into sport - particularly netball (played league for several years). Our son is 9 (10 in June) and this is definitely not what he wants. He's not got the greatest self-esteem/self-confidence and this is way out of his comfort zone. We're hoping it gives him the push to open up and shine with the rest but at the moment - he ain't happy . I think from my point of view I could do with them being a bit younger and having a few more "playground years" where they haven't got so many hormones and just get on with it!

Anyway, thanks again for all your replies. I'm still learning my way around the site (not being very technical as I said before) so sorry if it's a bit hit and miss (in between fighting the kids for the computer!)
Our children were 13 (Daughter) & 11 (Son) when we came here last June.
Our Son loves it & has made plenty of friends. Our Daughter didn't want to come mainly because of missing friends back in the UK. She has now made a few friends & also go's to Girl Guides every week, so she is slowly settling down. We still get days when she 'hates' it, but it seems to be getting better over time. MSN is a great help for keeping in touch with all their friends in the UK, not perfect, but a help.
I'm not sure they'll see things from your side, but thats teenagers for you!!!
Our Daughter has just started year 10 after choosing her options, so it is similar to the UK. School is different regarding content within subjects & they may find it a bit of a struggle at first, but the Teachers understand this & are very supportive. Both ours have now settled ok in to school.

Hope this helps

Mickey_D
Old Mar 6th 2007, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

sunny jim is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Where do we begin?

Hi mickey
sorry to side track, although i am sure this might help others too.
I know that the school year in nz starts in Jan but dont know how the school terms are worked out. Can you let me know please ?

Originally Posted by mickey_d
Our children were 13 (Daughter) & 11 (Son) when we came here last June.
Our Son loves it & has made plenty of friends. Our Daughter didn't want to come mainly because of missing friends back in the UK. She has now made a few friends & also go's to Girl Guides every week, so she is slowly settling down. We still get days when she 'hates' it, but it seems to be getting better over time. MSN is a great help for keeping in touch with all their friends in the UK, not perfect, but a help.
I'm not sure they'll see things from your side, but thats teenagers for you!!!
Our Daughter has just started year 10 after choosing her options, so it is similar to the UK. School is different regarding content within subjects & they may find it a bit of a struggle at first, but the Teachers understand this & are very supportive. Both ours have now settled ok in to school.

Hope this helps

Mickey_D
Old Mar 6th 2007, 2:27 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunny jim
Hi mickey
sorry to side track, although i am sure this might help others too.
I know that the school year in nz starts in Jan but dont know how the school terms are worked out. Can you let me know please ?

here you go
http://www.minedu.govt.nz/index.cfm?...ocumentid=3767
Old Mar 6th 2007, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

sunny jim is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Where do we begin?

thanks kev & sarah that isreally helpful, there are other things on the site that will be of interest to us aswell
all the best natalie (sunny)

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Old Mar 6th 2007, 7:26 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwibird
How have all your children coped with the prospect of moving/living there?
Our daughter will turn 5 1/2 when we're on our recce trip. She is extremely excited at the prospect of moving there, even though I don't reckon for a minute she really has too much clue that it would mean not 'coming home' to this house ever again. She keeps telling everyone she meets - even strangers in our local mall - that we're moving to New Zealand. She can pick it out on a map, and even show you where Wellington is.

She's exceedingly close with her Grandma, though, who's my mother-in-law. When my daughter asked if Grandma would be coming with us, I completely got the answer I wasn't expecting. Instead of crying and maybe pitching a fit, she just contemplated the idea for a bit, then said "I'll miss her, but that's OK". I was floored! I think sometimes we don't give our children the credit they deserve.