Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where do we begin?

Where do we begin?

Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:58 am
UK, NZ and SA User

leaseuk is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Where do we begin?

Hi there Kiwibird. Welcome to the site. I can't give any advice on the family as mine are all over there and looking foward to me coming home. My only problem is getting my mum to listen to me. She always has so much to talk about - I have to have a notebook and write down what I want to talk about.

Jack & mickey - what are you thinking about - Whangarei!! I used to go up there with my boyfriend and it was soooo boring. But then that was lots and lots of years ago.
And Dargeville - very very rural - no wonder it reminded you of the X-Files
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:09 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do we begin?

Originally Posted by leaseuk
Jack & mickey - what are you thinking about - Whangarei!! I used to go up there with my boyfriend and it was soooo boring. But then that was lots and lots of years ago.
Well I think we are heading for the North Shore/Orewa area. Loved Whangarei but I think the kids would prefer Orewa

As for Dargaville its like the wild west
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:38 am
UK, NZ and SA User

leaseuk is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad
Well I think we are heading for the North Shore/Orewa area. Loved Whangarei but I think the kids would prefer Orewa
Hey Jack
Owera would be good only because it is very near to the Waiwera Hot Pools - a fantastic Thermally heated pool and slide park. You can take a picnic or hir a gas bbq, and spend the whole day there. Big tubes to slide down. Really hot hot pools, cool pools, kids pools, even a movie pool.

Check it out at www.waiwera.co.nz
Old Mar 4th 2007, 11:11 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Jack
Owera would be good only because it is very near to the Waiwera Hot Pools - a fantastic Thermally heated pool and slide park. You can take a picnic or hir a gas bbq, and spend the whole day there. Big tubes to slide down. Really hot hot pools, cool pools, kids pools, even a movie pool.

Check it out at www.waiwera.co.nz
Looks great doesnt it?
Old Mar 4th 2007, 2:09 pm
In Albany and loving it!!

katracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nice

Originally Posted by cathynclive
Hiya,

We're getting a bit of grief too. Hoping to move out at the end of May, Clive has a job to start on 30th June (medicals and visas willing) My mother-in-law keeps wailing "Hopefully you will both be spared but if you both die who will look after the kids halfway around the world?" - cheerful soul!

Our answer is What if we don't die and wake up still in the UK at 80 years old and say, bugger we should have gone!

My 16 year old daughter is adamant that she will NOT join us, i'm sure she thinks that we've suddenly gone senile early. We're packing her off to live with her dad (that should change her mind), but if not, she has her own life to lead now. She'll soon be 17 and has a job she loves with good future prospects. Maybe I sound selfish but it's my life too, we've got 2 young kids of 6 and 7 and we want a better quality of life for them.

So, all being well, we'll be moving to the Taupo area at the end of May (hopefully with 16 year old in tow).

We are in the process of moving to NZ. We too have a 17 year old, we have come to an agreement that she spends a year with us to see if she likes it. I keep telling her that it is an opportunity that not many 17 years old have. After that year we shall see what happens. My 8 & 9 year old can't wait!!
Good luck it will all work out
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:03 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the site, Kiwibird! *waves* I'm only going through a little bit of the grief as I already live 4,000 miles from my family (I'm in the US Midwest), and have already been an expat for 15 years now. Just stick to your guns - you have more than enough to keep you busy with the physical aspect of the move! We're a friendly bunch, come join us in the main forum.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:45 pm
must be a mid-life crisis

cathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nice

Thanks for that Katracy,

I really don't think she'll change her mind at the mo. She's a stubborn moo - I blame her father My main worry is that she's gonna change her mind at the last minute and it'll be too late. We're booking medicals and sorting out visas right now and if she doesn't change her mind really soon she'll have to wait til we get out there.

She's always loved sport and the outdoors so I thought that she'd jump at the chance, but you know yourself what these teenage girls can be like

As for the 6 and 7 year old, their views depend on how their school day went. If they fell out with their friends they can't wait to go, if all went well then they want to stay. And we haven't dared tell them that they will have a volcano in their back garden yet...

As for us, we go from being really excited to absolutely pooing ourselves. We've lived in the same town for most of our lives - moaned about it for most of that time. We've talked about moving away for ages, then 1 night last October (I think we were probably drunk ) we had this crazy idea and it's just escalated from there. I've never done anything reckless in my life and this is the most excited i've felt in a long long time.

When are you hoping to move out and where are you planning to go? We're hoping to be in NZ at the end of May and Clive is hoping to start his new job on the 30th June.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:24 pm

katracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nice

[QUOTE=cathynclive;4481392]Thanks for that Katracy,

I really don't think she'll change her mind at the mo. She's a stubborn moo - I blame her father My main worry is that she's gonna change her mind at the last minute and it'll be too late. We're booking medicals and sorting out visas right now and if she doesn't change her mind really soon she'll have to wait til we get out there.

She's always loved sport and the outdoors so I thought that she'd jump at the chance, but you know yourself what these teenage girls can be like

As for the 6 and 7 year old, their views depend on how their school day went. If they fell out with their friends they can't wait to go, if all went well then they want to stay. And we haven't dared tell them that they will have a volcano in their back garden yet...

As for us, we go from being really excited to absolutely pooing ourselves. We've lived in the same town for most of our lives - moaned about it for most of that time. We've talked about moving away for ages, then 1 night last October (I think we were probably drunk we had this crazy idea and it's just escalated from there. I've never done anything reckless in my life and this is the most excited i've felt in a long long time.

When are you hoping to move out and where are you planning to go? We're hoping to be in NZ at the end of May and Clive is hoping to start his new job on the 30th June.:QUOTE]

Hi

We are hoping to move out 21 May, OH starts his job on 5 June. We just have to sell the house, not going well at the mo

Where are you moving to? Us Auckland, just looking at different places. Bet your 17 yr old will change her mind at last minute. Maybe get her to e-mail my daughter and they can have a chat. Just let me know.

I can't wait to go, what visas are you going out on? Bloody paperwork is coming out of our ears!!
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

We were half lucky,Donna's mum and dad really supportive,realise how and why we moved,and are coming out for 8 weeks over Christmas,2 brothers also planning a visit,with ideas of joining us in the future.
On the other side,my dad died last year (April),but we'd always said we were going to emigrate-but my family see it as almost another kick in the teeth-they say they understand,but I never got the feeling that it was with their blessing that we went.
However-the simple fact is this. We are adults now,in charge of our own destiny,taking our own risks and are accountable for whatever happens.Our priority has to be our children,as well as our own wellbeing. And it is because our parents were so good to us growing up,that we could rationalise what is such a hard decision to make.
And at the end of the day-the world is a smaller place-travel is much easier,more comfortable,even for the elder traveller,so I feel that my mum and sister have no excuse to come and see what we have,and for them to see we made the right decision.
There's no easy answer,but for us the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages,and once you are here,you'll see why.
Good luck to you.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:46 pm

cathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nice

[QUOTE=katracy;4481536]
Originally Posted by cathynclive
Thanks for that Katracy,

As for us, we go from being really excited to absolutely pooing ourselves. We've lived in the same town for most of our lives - moaned about it for most of that time. We've talked about moving away for ages, then 1 night last October (I think we were probably drunk we had this crazy idea and it's just escalated from there. I've never done anything reckless in my life and this is the most excited i've felt in a long long time.

When are you hoping to move out and where are you planning to go? We're hoping to be in NZ at the end of May and Clive is hoping to start his new job on the 30th June.:QUOTE]

Hi

We are hoping to move out 21 May, OH starts his job on 5 June. We just have to sell the house, not going well at the mo

Where are you moving to? Us Auckland, just looking at different places. Bet your 17 yr old will change her mind at last minute. Maybe get her to e-mail my daughter and they can have a chat. Just let me know.

I can't wait to go, what visas are you going out on? Bloody paperwork is coming out of our ears!!
Hi,
maybe if she has someone to e-mail she may come round. Clive has been offered a job in construction covering the Rotorua and Taupo area. I'm trying to sort out the medicals at the mo but was really given the run-around on Friday so am going to try to get to the bottom of it tomorrow - can't book a medical without an appointment for chest x-rays and blood tests booked - tried to book them and told that need medical forms for x-rays and blood tests ?????? Why can't they do the lot at the same hospital?

As for the visas - Clives employers say they'll help us with them - once we've had the medicals .... wish I had the smilies on quick reply I could be having so much fun with them on this post.

On the positive? side, we had an offer on our house after 2 days - we may be living in a cardboard box with no visas ... oh well, i'll keep you posted lol
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:50 pm

Just PM me and the girls can set themselves up on MSN and chat

We have got all our medicals in the same place. Just a BIG expense!! But worth it. Speak later
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by danny.f
We were half lucky,Donna's mum and dad really supportive,realise how and why we moved,and are coming out for 8 weeks over Christmas,2 brothers also planning a visit,with ideas of joining us in the future.
On the other side,my dad died last year (April),but we'd always said we were going to emigrate-but my family see it as almost another kick in the teeth-they say they understand,but I never got the feeling that it was with their blessing that we went.
However-the simple fact is this. We are adults now,in charge of our own destiny,taking our own risks and are accountable for whatever happens.Our priority has to be our children,as well as our own wellbeing. And it is because our parents were so good to us growing up,that we could rationalise what is such a hard decision to make.
And at the end of the day-the world is a smaller place-travel is much easier,more comfortable,even for the elder traveller,so I feel that my mum and sister have no excuse to come and see what we have,and for them to see we made the right decision.
There's no easy answer,but for us the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages,and once you are here,you'll see why.
Good luck to you.
Hi Danny,
So sorry to hear about your dad, I lost mine suddenly last May and I know how gutting it is. It's partly because of that that we decided on such a big change. I have realised that life is really too short and you have to make your own destiny.

If we screw up at least we tried. We've had the worst time trying to sell his house though, the second buyer pulled out on Friday, our house sale is going through at the mo but we really need his to sell as well before we leave the UK.
Heres hoping....
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by katracy
Just PM me and the girls can set themselves up on MSN and chat

We have got all our medicals in the same place. Just a BIG expense!! But worth it. Speak later
Cheers for that, i'll let her know.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there Kiwibird. Welcome to the site. I can't give any advice on the family as mine are all over there and looking foward to me coming home. My only problem is getting my mum to listen to me. She always has so much to talk about - I have to have a notebook and write down what I want to talk about.

It depends on whay you want, the hustle & bustle of city suburbs or somewhere quieter. After 9 months on the north shore we would prefer the latter. We love the beaches around here but there's more to life than that.

Mickey_D
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

Kiwibird is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Where do we begin?

Hey I found the smilies again ! (Sorry, I don't do technical much - got a bit carried away then !) Thanks to everyone for their comments/support about the leaving parents thing - a couple of those experiences sounded very familiar ! We're hoping perhaps ours will reassess their views when we've actually got to NZ and settled in - perhaps then they'll see things from our side like we do from theirs - we'll see. Anyway, things are still very up in the air here - sold the house last monday and it fell thru on Thursday. Had some viewings yesterday which we should get feedback on tomorrow . Need to sell to get there - OH's new employers been great so far - they say to get there when we can but I guess they can't wait forever.

How have all your children coped with the prospect of moving/living there? Our girls (14 and 12) seem very up for it at the moment though I think it's beginning to kick in now. They've got some fantastic friends here but luckily MSN reigns ! The eldest is in year 10 and started her GCSE options - not sure what happens there. They're both into sport - particularly netball (played league for several years). Our son is 9 (10 in June) and this is definitely not what he wants. He's not got the greatest self-esteem/self-confidence and this is way out of his comfort zone. We're hoping it gives him the push to open up and shine with the rest but at the moment - he ain't happy . I think from my point of view I could do with them being a bit younger and having a few more "playground years" where they haven't got so many hormones and just get on with it!

Anyway, thanks again for all your replies. I'm still learning my way around the site (not being very technical as I said before) so sorry if it's a bit hit and miss (in between fighting the kids for the computer!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.