Reload this Page >

Where do we begin?

Where do we begin?

Old Feb 28th 2007, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

Kiwibird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where do we begin?

Hi,

Been reading this for a while, thought it's about time we joined in ! We live in the Midlands at the moment, (Solihull). Myself, OH and 3 children (2 girls 14 & 12, boy 9) got residency visas a month ago - Yeeeeh!!! OH got job in Auckland lined up when he came over last August. Think we've just sold the house and now it's like "Wow! Where do we start!?"

It's been a pretty rubbish 12 months since we told the parents our plans and it's not getting any easier with them. Can't see that it ever will at the moment. They feel they'll never see us again no matter what we say cos they won't travel that far and we won't be able to afford to come back often, we're not going to be there, etc, etc! . It's a horrible situation which I'm sure lots of you have been through - any advice on getting through it gratefully received! Everyone else has been great - really supportive. It's surprising how many people have said they've wanted to come over/applied but got turned down. As far as the rest of it is concerned, we've read the books/internet, spoken to lots of people, done as much as we can to find everything out.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi for now! It's a fab site and great to know you're all there to talk to! Hope to speak soon!
Old Feb 28th 2007, 10:18 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do we begin?

Welcome to the site

We are going through the same Parent/Grand Parents thing as you right now. Thing is you just have to stick to your guns no matter how hard it is

Anyway join in and good luck
Old Feb 28th 2007, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad View Post
Welcome to the site

We are going through the same Parent/Grand Parents thing as you right now. Thing is you just have to stick to your guns no matter how hard it is

Anyway join in and good luck
Thanks for that! Was sat here with a large glass of wine having just finished an emotional 'phone conversation with my mum. Didn't even know if I'd got on the site properly! Anyway, you made me feel better!

P.S. Is the Asylum UK or NZ?
Old Feb 28th 2007, 10:33 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwibird View Post
Thanks for that! Was sat here with a large glass of wine having just finished an emotional 'phone conversation with my mum. Didn't even know if I'd got on the site properly! Anyway, you made me feel better!

It not that far from you

Mansfield, in the lush sub tropical paradise that is the East Midlands
Old Feb 28th 2007, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

It not that far from you

Might see you on the plane then! How far along are you with application? Where are you hoping to be in NZ? I know it's late but I seem to have lost my smiley faces along the way - sorry!
Old Mar 1st 2007, 7:57 am
Banned

Might see you on the plane then! How far along are you with application? Where are you hoping to be in NZ? I know it's late but I seem to have lost my smiley faces along the way - sorry!
The plan is no later than Jan 08. We submitted our EOI on 29th Jan and got picked 31st Jan without job offer. So just waiting for ITA now but will drag that out for as long as poss (not in a rush)

We fancy North Shore for work but to live on the Hibiscous Coast. But again we loved Tauranga and Whangarei when we visited in Jan.

What about you?
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 3:21 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Been reading this for a while, thought it's about time we joined in ! We live in the Midlands at the moment, (Solihull). Myself, OH and 3 children (2 girls 14 & 12, boy 9) got residency visas a month ago - Yeeeeh!!! OH got job in Auckland lined up when he came over last August. Think we've just sold the house and now it's like "Wow! Where do we start!?"

It's been a pretty rubbish 12 months since we told the parents our plans and it's not getting any easier with them. Can't see that it ever will at the moment. They feel they'll never see us again no matter what we say cos they won't travel that far and we won't be able to afford to come back often, we're not going to be there, etc, etc! . It's a horrible situation which I'm sure lots of you have been through - any advice on getting through it gratefully received! Everyone else has been great - really supportive. It's surprising how many people have said they've wanted to come over/applied but got turned down. As far as the rest of it is concerned, we've read the books/internet, spoken to lots of people, done as much as we can to find everything out.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi for now! It's a fab site and great to know you're all there to talk to! Hope to speak soon!
It was hard for me leaving my parents and sister as we've always been close. We've been in NZ for 15 months and I speak to my them once or twice a fortnight. I also exchange emails with my dad or chat on messenger most days.
But I love being here and it is definitely home now. We absolutely made the right choice in moving here.
So definitely stick to your guns, get out here, persuade them to visit (I'm still working on that one!).
It's all worth it.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

It not that far from you

You must live in the dome at Center Parcs then!!!

We came from Eastwood, just down the road from you.

How is life back in the East Mids?
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 8:29 am
Banned

Originally Posted by mickey_d View Post
You must live in the dome at Center Parcs then!!!

We came from Eastwood, just down the road from you.

How is life back in the East Mids?
The usual

Looks like my brother may change his mind soon about moving over to NZ.

They got burgled yesterday and a 70 (odd) year old got murdered just up the road from them during a burglary The police have told him that they think they know who committed his burglary. Connected??? Got wonder haven't you.

How come Devonport, are you ex-mob?
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

The usual

Looks like my brother may change his mind soon about moving over to NZ.

They got burgled yesterday and a 70 (odd) year old got murdered just up the road from them during a burglary The police have told him that they think they know who committed his burglary. Connected??? Got wonder haven't you.

How come Devonport, are you ex-mob?
Nothing changes then. Why do the Police always say they know who it was? We where told that when we were broken in to. If they know, shouldn't the person already be doing a bit of porridge.

Devonport, we just got lucky, we where looking for a house to rent anywhere with 2 dogs & a cat (very difficult) & this 1 came up that day. It's very cheap due to its condition, not been updated in 50 years by the look of it, but has a big garden (soon to be halved by the dreaded sub-division).
You need to be ex mob to buy in Devonport, prices seem to be approaching $2m now. I think its amazing they are so expensive as the town is so touristy & is used as a giant Car Park every day for commuters, it's a nightmare to find anywhere to park after 9am. You would think these factors would have the opposite effect. I think its a case of rich people seeing it as a status & locals cashing in on it.
We'll be moving later this year to either Hawkes Bay Or Whangerei area all being well.

Last edited by mickey_d; Mar 2nd 2007 at 9:38 am. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi,

Luckily, both our sets of parents were all for it. We just stressed how it would give our kids a better future out here, which when you do have kids is what it is really all about.
If they aren't on the internet already, get them on it. We talk to & see our parents more now than we used to in the UK, & its great fun for the kids on birthdays, blowing candles out & singing over the internet.
We do all miss each other, but it does get easier over time.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 10:09 am
Banned

Originally Posted by mickey_d View Post
We'll be moving later this year to either Hawkes Bay Or Whangerei area all being well.
My vote would be Whangarei. We didnt like Hawkes Bay. But one mans........ You know
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 10:10 am
Banned

Sorry Kiwibird for going off track here
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

My vote would be Whangarei. We didnt like Hawkes Bay. But one mans........ You know
We had a quick drive around Whangerei area a few weeks ago & loved it.
It really depends on work, my wife is a Nurse so there has to be a Hospital+jobs nearby. I still work part time for my old company in UK so doesn't matter for me.
We also drove through Dargaville, (noticed you visited on your Blog) it reminded me of an X File episode!!!
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 12:22 pm
must be a mid-life crisis

cathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nice

Hiya,

We're getting a bit of grief too. Hoping to move out at the end of May, Clive has a job to start on 30th June (medicals and visas willing) My mother-in-law keeps wailing "Hopefully you will both be spared but if you both die who will look after the kids halfway around the world?" - cheerful soul!

Our answer is What if we don't die and wake up still in the UK at 80 years old and say, bugger we should have gone!

My 16 year old daughter is adamant that she will NOT join us, i'm sure she thinks that we've suddenly gone senile early. We're packing her off to live with her dad (that should change her mind), but if not, she has her own life to lead now. She'll soon be 17 and has a job she loves with good future prospects. Maybe I sound selfish but it's my life too, we've got 2 young kids of 6 and 7 and we want a better quality of life for them.

So, all being well, we'll be moving to the Taupo area at the end of May (hopefully with 16 year old in tow).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.