British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Where did you find your points on EOI? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/where-did-you-find-your-points-eoi-389031/)

danny.f Aug 6th 2006 11:42 am

Where did you find your points on EOI?

OK kids.Time to do your magic and help Fiona and Dan. They trying to fill EOI themselves but are coming up short. Where did you all officially find points from.
They married (I think) with 2 kids.
Professional qualifications-diploma/degree 50 pts.
You get points for age,skills shortage,having siblings/family(?),settling outside of Auckland. That's all I can remember.

thebears Aug 6th 2006 12:49 pm

Re: Where did you find your points on EOI?

Originally Posted by danny.f
OK kids.Time to do your magic and help Fiona and Dan. They trying to fill EOI themselves but are coming up short. Where did you all officially find points from.
They married (I think) with 2 kids.
Professional qualifications-diploma/degree 50 pts.
You get points for age,skills shortage,having siblings/family(?),settling outside of Auckland. That's all I can remember.

Speaking english
Your partner speaking english, and having a profession on the list
Supporting Liverpool (well in my dreams anyway :) )

DiffordA Aug 6th 2006 1:04 pm

I think that is everything pretty much covered. We benefited from having work experience in a future growth area also. I hope they find those extra points fom somewhere - good luck!

Fidan Aug 6th 2006 7:53 pm

Hello!!

Thanks Danny.F - we've just found this thread that you said you might start!

We currently have 125 points, going on last night's first attempt at EOI. Yes, we are married, two children (5 and 3), using Dan's qualifications and work experience in IT. We do not yet have a job offer, so we guess this is why we can't yet guarantee we won't be in Auckland. The main confusion surrounds the children (no surprise there then!), as we have read that you can get 5 points for each child, but they made no difference to our tally. Is there some age limit? Do they think children of a certain age are more useful than others? Or are we missing something obvious and just can't get them added on somehow?

If anyone has any ideas about this, or how else we could boost our tally and "achieve our dream" (very corny, we know!!), we would be eternally grateful.

Thank you!! :rolleyes:

helinuk Aug 6th 2006 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Fidan
Hello!!

We currently have 125 points, going on last night's first attempt at EOI. Yes, we are married, two children (5 and 3), using Dan's qualifications and work experience in IT. We do not yet have a job offer, so we guess this is why we can't yet guarantee we won't be in Auckland. The main confusion surrounds the children (no surprise there then!), as we have read that you can get 5 points for each child, but they made no difference to our tally. Is there some age limit? Do they think children of a certain age are more useful than others? Or are we missing something obvious and just can't get them added on somehow?

If anyone has any ideas about this, or how else we could boost our tally and "achieve our dream" (very corny, we know!!), we would be eternally grateful.

Hi
we filled out our EOI last night - we didn't get any points for 2 children:-(
I think we got points from: age, degree, 10+yrs work experience in a shortage area, Speaking/studying in English (this made me laugh - we are English and have a qualification to teach English to foreigners)
We scraped in at 110 points. We don't have a job to go to. We want to wait till we get there.
Did you notice that the on line submission of EOI will be closed for a week.? When we read that we decided to keep plugging away at the form filling till we finished it(at 9.30pm- had an hour to spare!)
Fingers crossed now!
How long is the wait for a decision?
helinuk

Joshlin Aug 7th 2006 6:14 am

i don't remember getting any points for the kids.
we got points for age, my quals, my work exp, his quals, his work exp, quals being on long term shortage, being outside auckland, family in NZ - 140 without jobs if I remember rightly.
Vicki

helinuk Aug 7th 2006 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Joshlin
i don't remember getting any points for the kids.
we got points for age, my quals, my work exp, his quals, his work exp, quals being on long term shortage, being outside auckland, family in NZ - 140 without jobs if I remember rightly.
Vicki

We didn't think we could tick the outside Auckland box because we haven't got a job offer? That box was associated with work aleady/offer of work in NZ.

We don't have family in NZ either and my qualifications are not on the recognised quals list:-((
H.

Spacecake799 Aug 7th 2006 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Fidan
Hello!!

I don't think you'll have a problem getting picked out with 125 points. We got picked with 115 about 4 weeks. Does your partner have a degree in IT? My husband only has loads of microsoft qualifications and there not recognised, you need a degree for the points. Hope this helps and good luck.
carole :D

Spacecake799 Aug 7th 2006 9:43 am

Originally Posted by helinuk
Hi
we filled out our EOI last night - we didn't get any points for 2 children:-(
I think we got points from: age, degree, 10+yrs work experience in a shortage area, Speaking/studying in English (this made me laugh - we are English and have a qualification to teach English to foreigners)
We scraped in at 110 points. We don't have a job to go to. We want to wait till we get there.
Did you notice that the on line submission of EOI will be closed for a week.? When we read that we decided to keep plugging away at the form filling till we finished it(at 9.30pm- had an hour to spare!)
Fingers crossed now!
How long is the wait for a decision?
helinuk

Hi,
If i remember rightly your application stays in the pool for 6 months. You are unlikely to get picked out with 110 points, however we got picked one week with 115 points on a special selection. I don't know if they do that when they don't have many others to pick. Immigration had told us we would'nt get picked with that amount of points and we did. Good luck,
carole

Fidan Aug 7th 2006 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Hi,
If i remember rightly your application stays in the pool for 6 months. You are unlikely to get picked out with 110 points, however we got picked one week with 115 points on a special selection. I don't know if they do that when they don't have many others to pick. Immigration had told us we would'nt get picked with that amount of points and we did. Good luck,
carole

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the advice. I guess we just go for it with 125 points for now and hope for the best. Dan has an HND in IT, not degree, and like you say, his professional qualifications do not seem to count, but he has quite a few years experience. Hearing that you were selected with 115 is pretty reassuring, even if not very common or expected, so fingers crossed!
Thanks again.

helinuk Aug 7th 2006 10:44 am

Hi,
carole

Who did you speak to - who told you you wouldn't get picked? Was that an immigration agent?
I know we'll have a wait but thats ok - our daughter doesn't finish A levels till next June. Hope they don't reject us outright!
I'm telling myself that I have 6 months to wait for a reply to EOI and ITA, then a 6 month wait for a visa.

Spacecake799 Aug 7th 2006 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by helinuk
Who did you speak to - who told you you wouldn't get picked? Was that an immigration agent?
I know we'll have a wait but thats ok - our daughter doesn't finish A levels till next June. Hope they don't reject us outright!
I'm telling myself that I have 6 months to wait for a reply to EOI and ITA, then a 6 month wait for a visa.

Hi,
We went to a NZ expo in london in March and London immigration were there, they told us without a job offer we would'nt get picked with 115 points.
Came away not knowing what to do, anyway i watched the immigration site every 2 weeks until someone with 120 points and no job offer got picked, then i submitted ours. Good luck.

helinuk Aug 7th 2006 4:54 pm

Hi,
We went to a NZ expo in london in March and London immigration were there, they told us without a job offer we would'nt get picked with 115 points.
Came away not knowing what to do, anyway i watched the immigration site every 2 weeks until someone with 120 points and no job offer got picked, then i submitted ours. Good luck.

Oh my goodness looks like we will have a bit of a wait! Seems it's worth checking the NZIS site on a regular basis!
Thanks Carole.

danny.f Aug 7th 2006 5:20 pm

Sorry all-misinformation given-no points for kids-sorry,wife just chastised me!! Please take karma away!!