British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   where did the time go! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/where-did-time-go-682773/)

londonescapee Aug 25th 2010 9:10 pm

where did the time go!

Holy camoley. I just have to share. Last day at work tomorrow. We fly out on Friday :eek: I can't quite believe it! And we STILL haven't sorted out the packing! On the day we fly we have to go via Anglo Pacific's offices to send out more bloody boxes because we hadn't a clue about how much clothes actually weigh :o And they are already coming to collect 2 boxes from my office tomorrow morning. Doh.

Oh and just one piece of advice to any of you who are getting married and then moving quite soon after - get your wedding dress sorted and sent out with the packers before you fly! Mine is just in this insanely large box that I'm having to bin because there is no way I can get it to NZ in it unless we'd had it wrapped up by the movers (and no I ain't giving it to the charity shop it cost me enough to buy and get clean so I can at least have the pleasure of looking at it once in a blue moon :rofl:).

Is that somewhat stunned feeling quite common? I feel totally and utterly bizzare at the moment. Excited/sad/adreneline/knackered - oh and like I've put on about 2 stone in a week. Not sure how :(

Anyway, just wanted to vent spleen. Will go to bed now. Not long before we get highlighted in red on Dewb's list :thumbsup: Have loved this forum for seeing me through some quite tricky times and providing inspiration and much needed advice. Look forward to posting in the updates bit whoop :D

Toon_Nut Aug 25th 2010 9:35 pm

Re: where did the time go!

:thumbup:

We just had our third and final shippers round tonight, just have to decide on which one suits us best then that's it, we're off!!

They all claim they can have us packed up and shipped out by Monday the 13th so that's our aim.

:fingerscrossed:

Good luck for Friday, hope it goes well.

londonescapee Aug 25th 2010 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Toon_Nut (Post 8803225)
:thumbup:

We just had our third and final shippers round tonight, just have to decide on which one suits us best then that's it, we're off!!

They all claim they can have us packed up and shipped out by Monday the 13th so that's our aim.

:fingerscrossed:

Good luck for Friday, hope it goes well.

Ohhh good luck with that :fingerscrossed: shippers are amazing they just come and sort it out - our mistake was grossly underestimating what should be shipped and what could come out on the plane - and we binned so much stuff!

Ahh it is also my birthday in about an hour I must say I've never felt more un-birthday like than this year (21 guv honest). It will be one to remember though :eek:

Mrs Pointer Aug 26th 2010 11:25 am

Good luck, and thanks for the tip. I'm going to buy my wedding dress soon, although I'm not spending a lot on it (haha, that's what I'm telling him anyway)

did anyone know that you get taxed on all new things as well. so we're not asking for wedding presents...just give us dosh :thumbup:

Toon_Nut Aug 26th 2010 11:35 am

Originally Posted by londonescapee (Post 8803279)
Ohhh good luck with that :fingerscrossed: shippers are amazing they just come and sort it out - our mistake was grossly underestimating what should be shipped and what could come out on the plane - and we binned so much stuff!

Ahh it is also my birthday in about an hour I must say I've never felt more un-birthday like than this year (21 guv honest). It will be one to remember though :eek:

Happy 21st!!!!

;)

MnB Aug 26th 2010 5:14 pm

Happy Birthday!!.....best wishes for the start of a very exciting year lol B x

Dewb09 Aug 26th 2010 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by londonescapee (Post 8803279)

:wub: bless you what a time you are having! will so be worth it.

Happy birthday to you :cake:

Safe travels & the red wave is near :lol:

Dewb

Auskiwi Aug 26th 2010 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by londonescapee (Post 8803158)
Holy camoley. I just have to share. Last day at work tomorrow. We fly out on Friday :eek: I can't quite believe it! And we STILL haven't sorted out the packing! On the day we fly we have to go via Anglo Pacific's offices to send out more bloody boxes because we hadn't a clue about how much clothes actually weigh :o And they are already coming to collect 2 boxes from my office tomorrow morning. Doh.

Oh and just one piece of advice to any of you who are getting married and then moving quite soon after - get your wedding dress sorted and sent out with the packers before you fly! Mine is just in this insanely large box that I'm having to bin because there is no way I can get it to NZ in it unless we'd had it wrapped up by the movers (and no I ain't giving it to the charity shop it cost me enough to buy and get clean so I can at least have the pleasure of looking at it once in a blue moon :rofl:).

Is that somewhat stunned feeling quite common? I feel totally and utterly bizzare at the moment. Excited/sad/adreneline/knackered - oh and like I've put on about 2 stone in a week. Not sure how :(

Anyway, just wanted to vent spleen. Will go to bed now. Not long before we get highlighted in red on Dewb's list :thumbsup: Have loved this forum for seeing me through some quite tricky times and providing inspiration and much needed advice. Look forward to posting in the updates bit whoop :D

It's very exciting and nerve wracking at the same time!! Enjoy your trip..

And happy birthday (even if belated!!)..:D

londonescapee Aug 26th 2010 11:03 pm

Thanks all for your lovely posts. Just back from 2 leaving dos, one with work colleagues and one with very old friends. Both hubby and I feeling very pensive - and in my case an awful lot of :cry_smile:

Was wandering round Embankment feeling like the ghosts of me during my 20s were there. I kept having flashbacks of the amazing times I had living here :D We are so sad to be leaving but once I get on that plane....well let's see! I just need to keep reminding myself why we are doing this. Would I feel the same if it was just another birthday and I didn't have this massive change coming? Probably would still be fed up at yet another year stuck in a rut innit :eek: Only time will tell....

I'll post in the updates bit when we actually make it - roll on 5 days in Singapore - although that looks like it may be a bit stressful too (family issues don't ask :rofl:)

londonescapee Aug 26th 2010 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Mrs Pointer (Post 8804683)
Good luck, and thanks for the tip. I'm going to buy my wedding dress soon, although I'm not spending a lot on it (haha, that's what I'm telling him anyway)

did anyone know that you get taxed on all new things as well. so we're not asking for wedding presents...just give us dosh :thumbup:

Oh yes - I took it all out of the wrapper (House of Fraser sale on beautiful cotton sheets) and washed the lot first! Nearly new.....that said it does seem to depend on the items some peeps get charged some don't. Typical.

But we asked for dosh - paid for a lovely honeymoon in Wales and our flights over :thumbsup: It's the right way forward definitely

zoexr Aug 26th 2010 11:42 pm

I felt so strange just before I came out, just like I wasnt attached to myself...but that didnt stop the tears!
Dont worry, its normal (I hope!!)

bevissa65 Aug 27th 2010 5:17 am

Originally Posted by londonescapee (Post 8803158)

All those feelings completely normal:thumbsup: Just as bad when you get here as it feels so surreal that all the time, planning and money spent getting here has finally reached fruition. Enjoy the journey and relax with very large glasses of wine every so often and you'll be fine:) Good luck. Bevissa

keyholekate Aug 28th 2010 9:47 am

Uh...yes - that stunned feeling is something I remember well. We reach our first year in NZ anniversary tomorrow. Last year, when we landed in Sydney (spent a night there before coming here) I felt absolutely sick, to tell you the truth, and wondered what the hell I had done. BUT this year I feel GREAT! Love it - have a job, bought a plot of land, have fabulous colleagues, love the space...it's all good!:thumbsup: