British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Where in Canterbury??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/where-canterbury-527207/)

chippy64 Apr 6th 2008 11:26 am

Where in Canterbury???

Hi, we are looking at possibly Oxford area or, if we go into ChCh, not overly sure of areas to avoid?
We have a soon to be 15 year old boy and a large dog! OH is carpenter and does not mind 50 min drive from Oxford.
Also, possibly renting first - dog looks like a problem!!
School will also need to be decent. We won't have much money if renting and initially looking at 2 bed min.
Any ideas?

Many thanks from snowy Kent!

happynz Apr 6th 2008 5:13 pm

Re: Where in Canterbury???

Originally Posted by chippy64 (Post 6166754)
Hi, we are looking at possibly Oxford area or, if we go into ChCh, not overly sure of areas to avoid?

This must be a British peculiarity. The question of which places to avoid often crops up on these forums. Short form as far as Christchurch goes -- there are no 'no-go' areas really. Of course, there are nicer suburbs and towns and less economically advantaged areas, but no place where you should feel physically endangered. OK, hanging about drunk on certain streets at 1:00AM may not be a wise, but still...in my opinion there isn't any horrible dangerous place.
Oxford is in a beautiful location by the way. Rangiora is a bit closer in and is quite OK as well. Your best bet is to look around and see what works for you before committing yourself.

We have a soon to be 15 year old boy and a large dog! OH is carpenter and does not mind 50 min drive from Oxford.

He may well mind once he sees his pay packet and what he pays in fuel to commute.

That does seem to make finding a place more difficult. Negotiate with the rental agents or landlords, offer a higher bond, etc. You'll just have to accept the fact that you'll likely have to work harder to find a rental that accepts dogs, but it can be done.

School will also need to be decent. We won't have much money if renting and initially looking at 2 bed min.
Any ideas?

Not that many horrible or dangerous schools here, if any, here in Christchurch. He should do well enough here. It really depends on the student and parents.

You keep saying that you don't have much money. Prepare yourself for a learning curve. Many things here cost a bomb and the salaries aren't all that flash. However, once you get the hang of it and develop a few strategies, Canterbury can be a grand place to live.

Good luck with it all.

happynz Apr 6th 2008 8:21 pm

Please excuse my grammatical mistakes above. I blame it on a caffeine delay. :zzz:

chippy64 Apr 6th 2008 8:47 pm

Thanks for reply!

Area is way important for a Brit - there are so many no go areas in the UK (originally from East London, so wary of moving to a dodgy place!).

Son is doing well at school and taking his GCSE's this summer. He is totally sport mad - rugby (of course!!!), basketball, cricket, golf and skiing to name a few. He's easy going and make friends easily but has said space is what he is looking for - big garden and less than an hour to see the Crusaders (we managed to fit in AirNZ match v Hurricanes in August and were sitting behind Chris Jack, Aaron Mauger and Reuben Thorne - awesome!!!).

Carpenters wages have fallen steadily over the past few years, partly due to Eastern European being prepared to work for a lot less. Job offer from NZ offering similar wages to here in UK. We know mortgage rates are high but found other things cheaper so very much swings and roundabouts! We are hopefully being realistic - we know we won't live like royalty but we don't have any sort of life in the UK. What we are looking for is more outdoor life and space!

hjmilligan Apr 6th 2008 10:41 pm

Hi Chippy, Oxford can be in my opinon too far out and not alot there at all!
Also have been reported in local newsrag trouble with drunken teenagers and boy racers. We are in Rangiora just 25 mins outside CHC,its a small town but it has everthing you need,(3,000 brits can't be wrong!) you also have the rual aspect as well,maybe look at Loburn,Ashley,Cust or West Eyerton,these places are more closer to Rangiora if you didnt want to live in the town. Also we came over with a dog and yes people are funny when it comes to renting but Harcourts in Rangiora explained to them that we would not have paid alot of money to bring a dog over if he didnt behave it self!!! and we got a good rental.
Your son would have to catch bus from Oxford to go to Rangiora high school and i think this leaves roughly about 7am!! Good thing or bad thing he can learn to drive at 15!!!
My kids go to Rangiora high and really like it there,made lots of friends.

If you need anymore help please pm me anytime
Good luck

Helen :)

hjmilligan Apr 6th 2008 10:44 pm

Oh by the way,daughter plays rugby and DAN CARTER! coming to the school this week,my girl dead excited,gonna hide in the field and watch him from a distance!;)

Kiwiprincess Apr 6th 2008 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by hjmilligan (Post 6169937)
Oh by the way,daughter plays rugby and DAN CARTER! coming to the school this week,my girl dead excited,gonna hide in the field and watch him from a distance!;)

Dan Carter attended a school event at one of my friends school. apparently they have never had such a high turnout...of mothers!

hjmilligan Apr 6th 2008 11:01 pm

:lol::lol::lol:
Well they say he's the David Beckham of Rugby :D

Yotty Apr 6th 2008 11:11 pm

no he's much more famous than that! :D

MandyB Apr 7th 2008 1:11 am

Any ideas?

Hi, i have a kiwi friend that grew up in oxford, she loved it there then but would definitely not live there NOW, she reckons its changed a lot and now its a bit of dodgy place to be living in, beautiful as it is.

We live in Rolleston, lots of space there and only 30 mins into city centre - good high school at Lincoln too.

Good luck

Dustybin Apr 7th 2008 4:29 am

Originally Posted by hjmilligan (Post 6169924)
....Also have been reported in local newsrag trouble with drunken teenagers and boy racers. We are in Rangiora just 25 mins outside CHC,its a small town but it has everthing you need,(3,000 brits can't be wrong!).... Helen :)

You've got to be careful of these bloody immigrants coming in and making little communities for themselves.... ;):p

hjmilligan Apr 7th 2008 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Dustybin (Post 6170690)
You've got to be careful of these bloody immigrants coming in and making little communities for themselves.... ;):p

:rofl::rofl:

hjmilligan Apr 7th 2008 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by MandyB (Post 6170281)
Hi, i have a kiwi friend that grew up in oxford, she loved it there then but would definitely not live there NOW, she reckons its changed a lot and now its a bit of dodgy place to be living in, beautiful as it is.

We live in Rolleston, lots of space there and only 30 mins into city centre - good high school at Lincoln too.

Good luck

Yea,heard its nice there too!!:)

danny.f Apr 8th 2008 9:33 am

Any ideas?

Why Canterbury? You must have had enough of Canterbury coming from Kent by now!

chippy64 Apr 8th 2008 2:10 pm

Ha ha Danny!