Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where can you search for sold property prices?

Where can you search for sold property prices?

Old Apr 3rd 2016, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

KOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where can you search for sold property prices?

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
You might be benefitting from the Wellington property boom. Well done. (Does that somehow buy out the loss you made on selling your previous house in the bay ?)

The value of our house in Whanganui wasn't even loaded/listed on that site ! Or any of the neighbouring properties either. I could buy an online valuation but there's not much point.

I've always had a kind of 'wait and see' viewpoint regarding property values. Basically, it's not on the market, so we don't need to know the value. If we do put the house on the market, the valuation will be the valuation on the day. There's not a great deal can be done about the regional property market where we live.
Snap Shot, even Wanganui market is hotting up. We saw a property we liked end of last year and as this was soon after our decision to move to NZ we decided to call the estate agent to familiarise ourselves with the buying process over there. Well, imagine my surprise when I saw it listed again this week for $45k more. At first I thought the sale had fallen through but a quick glance at the bottom of the listing confirmed the price & date of sale & now it's being offered again. In the UK the first buyer would have only barely completed the first purchase (assuming they needed a mortgage) - I guess things move a lot faster in NZ in this respect.
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 8:27 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I've had a lot of roast dinner and two glasses of wine. I'm currently sitting on the sofa drinking plunger coffee and eating dessert whilst watching t.v.

I hope you enjoy your Sunday.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Apr 3rd 2016 at 8:28 am. Reason: don't forget the coffee
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 9:34 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Yes would cover the cost, but with me going through the Estate Salespersons licence programme last year I know thats not realistic.

KOH2 - yes the process over here is very different. You have to make sure you really want the property as once you are tied in (unconditional) if you then pull out you will have to pay compensation to the seller. Once you have put an offer in and it is accepted (conditional) you have 15 (at the most) working days to get your reports done before you are classed as unconditional and you would be liable for fines if you fail to complete. You also need a good reason to not go unconditional, so I changed my mind won't cut it. It has to be based on the reports you stipulated in the Sales and Purchase agreement. Once you are unconditional you can literally move in that day or at an agreed date, again stipulated on the sale and purchase agreement.
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 7:42 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A Rush And A Push
After replying to this post yesterday an ad for a site called homes.co.nz popped up today on my screen, no doubt because I'd been looking at property websites.

http://https://homes.co.nz

It claims to give an estimate of the value of any property, based on local sales data etc. No idea how accurate it is, I think it's quite a new site.
If only.....

My house will be one of the more expensive homes in the street and I only bought it 18 months ago. According to this it's worth $300,000 more than I paid for it. Local agent literature suggests its more like $100,000 which is still pretty good.
Old Apr 4th 2016, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A Rush And A Push
After replying to this post yesterday an ad for a site called homes.co.nz popped up today on my screen, no doubt because I'd been looking at property websites.

http://https://homes.co.nz

It claims to give an estimate of the value of any property, based on local sales data etc. No idea how accurate it is, I think it's quite a new site.
Had a look at our house, and the valuation seems spot on, pretty much what we figured on, and same range as our estate agent and a property valuer quoted. Most of our neighboring properties also seem to have pretty accurate estimates based on recent sales.

I imagine they've downloaded more data for some locations than others, but also, there's been a lot of house sales and new construction in our neighborhood.