Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where can we commute from? (Wellington)

Where can we commute from? (Wellington)

Old Jun 28th 2013, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where can we commute from? (Wellington)

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Did they fix the landslide under the railway tracks near Petone yet ?
Yes, we had buses replacing the train service till the the trains started runnung again yeaterday. All good in the hood
Old Jun 28th 2013, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
You could move slightly more North and get slightly better weather. Have a look at the Kapati area, Paraparumu, Paraparaumu Beach Waikanae and Waikanae Beach which are both coastal have train links to Wellington and slightly better weather (from what I'm told)
Haha, you so know that north of Pukerua Bay the weather improves.
Kaz
Old Jun 28th 2013, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Did they fix the landslide under the railway tracks near Petone yet ?
No, I was done that way on Wed and they were still working on it.
Petone, the weather is not as good as up the coast, but there are lots of things for couples and no kids to do.
Kaz
Old Jun 28th 2013, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babybella
Haha, you so know that north of Pukerua Bay the weather improves.
Kaz
Kaz, we know Mrs F's in denial

You could easily commute from Paekakariki northwards and take advantage of the better weather and flat sections/gardens. But if you want city life and not so fussed about the weather, then somewhere closer in would probably suit you better. Lower Hutt/Petone could be another option for you as others have said or around the Plimmerton, Papakowhai area.

I drive to work from Waikanae to Pauatahanui. I leave at 7.30am and am usually there just after 8am. On Wed this week, it was 8 degrees and no frost when I left Waikanae, 3 degrees and frost by the time I reached Pautahanui. We don't get frost at all in Waikanae town. The coast is usually 4-6 degrees warmer, sunnier and less rain/wind.

There's the choice of the coast road via Pukerua Bay which can be slow as it drops to one lane and 50km. The alternative road is the Paekakariki Hill road which starts off very steep and windy and then winds through the hills, it is slightly quicker though and it's good to have 2 options depending on traffic. Although, arriving at work feeling a bit car sick is not something I experienced in the UK

My OH gets the train to Wellington. It takes just under an hour from Waikanae, and you'll always get a seat. Paraparaumu which is a larger town with shopping centre, cinema, sports facilities etc. is 5 mins closer to Wellington.

Best to have a drive round when you're here and decide. There are plenty of options depending on your priorities.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 7:47 am
Just Joined

EmilyCambridge is an unknown quantity at this point

Will have a look at Petone!

We're coming over on permenant skilled migrants visas. We've both accepted jobs and have all the paperwork ready apart from medicals (we had to wait weeks to get an appointment with panel doctor). Both our jobs aren't too fussed about when we turn up which takes the pressure off, but I just want to get out there now, the anticipation is killing me :-)
Old Jun 28th 2013, 8:34 am
Just Joined

Thanks MOSO, loads of information there! We'll be renting for about six months before we buy, so no dramas if we end up in slightly the wrong place. I actually get a bit car sick in the UK so that could be entertaining!
Old Jun 28th 2013, 9:39 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

denial Moso I was the one to say its warmer up that way. tst tst tst.
You never know one of these years I may just be on your doorsteps more often than I am now.

Renting is a good call, another couple over here without kids intend to rent in a few area's for a few years so they get to savour inland as well as coastal area's.
But they are heading more north and just missed out on a property opposite to where I live a month or so ago . Think they are looking at Aotea, so not coastal this time round
Old Jun 29th 2013, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Eastbourne which is further round the harbour after Petone is another area you could consider. You could get the ferry to Wellington and OH drive to Trentham. Great views of the harbour and lovely housing, although I suspect it gets windy.

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 30th 2013 at 9:55 pm. Reason: Slight snip just to preserve privacy on the open forum. cheers.
Old Jun 29th 2013, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

Ohh ferry to work sounds very exciting, will have a look now!
Old Jul 11th 2013, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

kiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Emily and welcome.

The Kapiti coast would be a problem for Trentham unless your husband is planning to drive which is the only direct connection. Otherwise, he'd have to train it to Wellington then back out to Trentham. He'd be travelling a good 2 hours each way trying that.

Lower Hutt or Petone lie about half way between the two, have good shopping, restaurants etc. and plenty of schools (if that's a consideration).
From either of these is a 15 - 20 min train ride to either destination.

The Hutt Valley has a good commuter train services despite some weather related interruptions in which event the trains are replaced/supplemented with buses.

Pete
Old Jul 13th 2013, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

kiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I'd add a map to show the relationship between Wellington/Lower Hutt/Trentham.

I'm guessing your OH is either with the military or the Prison Service if he's going to Trentham as there is not much else there in the way of employment.

There is no direct public transport connection from the Kapiti Coast to Trentham so, if you chose to live that side, he would have to drive over State Highway 58 to connect with the Hutt Valley. Don't be misled by its grand title. SH58 is a twisting single lane road (with some overtaking lanes).

If you're renting when you first arrive you could do worse than rent in the Upper Hutt area (which is where I live) while you look around for where you eventually want to settle.

I've attached a basic map to show what I mean but I've no doubt you've already Google Earthed it.
Attached Thumbnails Where can we commute from? (Wellington)-wellington-map-edit.png  
Old Jul 13th 2013, 10:26 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

lots of information for you to digest. As has been said pick an area to initially rent and spend time looking around other area's as it's down to personal taste your budget and compromises in the end
Old Jul 14th 2013, 4:00 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

There are some advantages to the South Wairarapa line as well. High sunshine hours, low rainfall, low population density, express trains and cheaper property than the Hutt valley.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 11:07 am
Just Joined

Loads more useful information to think about. Hubby would be driving to work so it looks like kapiti is definitely an option, but with the slight drawback of a longer commute for us both. I think we'll probably look to rent in parapararumu initially then do our homework for six months or so before we buy! At least it will give us a good reason to explore all sorts of places rather than being lazy and just enjoying the weather :-)
Old Jul 14th 2013, 9:42 pm

when you are over give me a shout and we can arrange one of the semi regular "tea and cake" sessions we have in the Kapati area and get to have a chat first hand with the lovely ladies. Nothing better than a chat over a cuppa and some cake for advise and giggles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.