Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where is the best place to live?

Where is the best place to live?

Old Jan 31st 2008, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

lisashaw1973 is a jewel in the roughlisashaw1973 is a jewel in the roughlisashaw1973 is a jewel in the roughlisashaw1973 is a jewel in the rough
Default Where is the best place to live?

My husband and I are looking at moving to New Zealand to start a new life for ourselves.
He is a painter and decorator and I work for the local council in Adult Care.Where would be the best place for us to live and get jobs?? We have looked around New Zealand on the net and we are going to have a holiday there soon but where do we start???
Love to hear any ideas you have.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Here comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really nice
Smile Re: Where is the best place to live?

Hi, care jobs seem in demand in most cities so finding work shouldnt be a problem. The main cities are Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin and it really depends what you are looking for.

Cost was a factor for us so we ruled out Auckland as property tends to be more expensive. We initially looked at dunedin and christchurch as we both love skiing but the climate is considerably cooler on the south island so in the end we looked at welly as it seemed to offer everything we wanted.

My sister lives there plus there is plenty of work (both nurses) we could live out of the city by the beach within commutable distance and house prices are fairly reasonable.

Definately see both islands and decide if climate and cost of living is a factor, also work for your husband.
Have a great time!!
Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:16 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where is the best place to live?

Painters and decorators in great demand in Christchurch, so presumably elsewhere to!

Hamilton (north island) is the 4th largest place in NZ, so might be worth looking there.

And NO!!!!! for the millioneth time from someone who actually knows, cos she's actually here living it - THE SOUTH ISLAND IS NOT, I REPEAT NOT, CONSIDERABLY COLDER!!!!

We live 25 mins north of Christchurch. Last winter was our first and locals thought it was cold. I was sunbathing and doing my ironing outside. I don't remember one single week where it rained solidly, just the odd days here and there. Mainly it was early morning frost, the big blue sky and sun and warm that you could walk down town with just jeans and a t-shirt.

Summer most days we've had temps from low 20s to way up in the 30s/low 40s. In fact it has been dry for so long we're on a hosepipe and irrigation ban. And all fire permits have been revoked for outdoor fires due to increased risk in bush fire.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 8:15 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, there are many other factors to consider apart from the weather!

For a start, do you prefer city life or want a more rural home? Do you have children? What sort of lifestyle do you want; city cafes, bars, entertainment or more outdoors kind of stuff? Are you looking to rent or buy a house? Do you have a budget in mind? I think painters and decorators earn between $16 - $25 per hour. Does OH have the qualification level required?
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:37 am
Just Joined

delcat will become famous soon enoughdelcat will become famous soon enough

Have to disagree with you there TeamEmbo, we lived in Auckland for 2 years and have now been in Christchurch for 10 months, and this winter just gone is the first time I've had my long winter coat out since I left the UK. And the winter we just had was, by all accounts, mild. The top of the North Island definitely has milder year-round temperatures. All I wore up there was a lightweight waterproof - it rains a lot in Auckland!

Having said that, that doesn't mean it's better. I hated the muggy humidity in summer, and missed the seasons. South Island definitely so far wins hands down in the climate stake. Well the east coast at least, it's dry with hot summers and proper seasons

Lisashaw1973 (good year btw:-), good luck in making a decision, we moved to NZ from Bath / Bristol, and although I miss it, I love the lifestyle here. Most of the cities North or South have a lot to offer, as do the surrounding areas - its all so varied.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:40 am
Just Joined

delcat will become famous soon enoughdelcat will become famous soon enough

Just to clarify - I didn't just wear a waterproof coat...NZers are very conservative!!