British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Where is the best all year round weather? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/where-best-all-year-round-weather-472498/)

tequila Aug 8th 2007 11:52 am

Where is the best all year round weather?

Hello all .... first time on the NZ forum, I usually pop into the Aussie one.
Where would I find the best all year round weather in NZ? The least rain and most sun, with a good average temp, I guess it's north of Auckland?
Many thanks

lardyl Aug 8th 2007 12:05 pm

Re: Where is the best all year round weather?

Originally Posted by tequila (Post 5163229)
Where would I find the best all year round weather in NZ? The least rain and most sun, with a good average temp, I guess it's north of Auckland?
Many thanks

erm many woud say Nelson so quite a bit sarf.........one of the best on the rainfall and sun fronts, but don't tell anyone.....

Colin in the middle Aug 8th 2007 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by tequila (Post 5163229)
Many thanks

North of Auckland and least amount of rain :blink::rofl::rofl::rofl: Put it this way Northaland is comparable with the English Summer this year :p

Little bit of a debate can be held on if Nelson has the best weather or the Hwakes Bay (Napier/Hastings) both are wine growing areas so guess thats a good clue?
East coast of the North Island (Gisbourne) is currently in a Drought which people over in the wet West scratch there head in bewilderment considering its not exactly a big Island. Ttrue saying is if you dont like the weather drive an hour :thumbup:

This might help?

http://www.niwascience.co.nz/ncc/index.html

brussels_sprout Aug 9th 2007 1:20 am

The places with the most sun in all of NZ, are Nelson and Blenheim, in the rain shadow of the Southern Alps. Trouble is that at night in winter there it is Bl**dy freezing, i would sooner live in a dull, rainy but warm place in winter like Auckland.

Beachcombers Aug 9th 2007 1:31 am

It's not that cold down here at night, get down to -4 at times, but the house is nice and warm and you wear a jacket if you go out. And when the sun shines (as it does on most days) it's just glorious.

I have never been so cold in my life, then when we rented a villa in Devonport, Auckland. Mildew everywhere, condensation running down the windows, heaters keeping the seagulls feet warm....brrrrr!

NZGrl Aug 9th 2007 1:43 am

Sorry to say that I think the NZ weather is bloody freezing with really short wet summers....Where ever you live is about the same....As I tell people "Don't come to live in NZ for the weather" I drove to work the other day and it was -3:ohmy:

P2L Aug 9th 2007 2:02 am

Originally Posted by NZGrl (Post 5165991)
Sorry to say that I think the NZ weather is bloody freezing with really short wet summers....Where ever you live is about the same....As I tell people "Don't come to live in NZ for the weather" I drove to work the other day and it was -3:ohmy:

Not looking in the right places NZ Girl ;)

I'm with Beachcombers on this one :thumbsup: well we do live round the corner :D

It's a very sunny 16deg here today, I've spent the morning watching my girls do cross country and even the 'locals' only had jerseys on. Warm enough not to light the fire till 6 o'clock at night and then it's just burns slowly.

Andrew Cross Aug 9th 2007 2:32 am

Winter here in Christchurch and 19c. Just been walking the dog along the beach and come back with a sunburnt face...:lol:

Jude J Aug 9th 2007 2:34 am

Lovely and sunny here in Auckland again today. Last week my 17 yr old had a bbq for her mates and they were sitting outside until 9ish, none of them had any coats.
Last summer went on for bloody ages too. Still swimming in late May, paddling in June, electric blanket blanket not put on until beginning July.

I cant imagine the fun in living somewhere hotter than here. I would rather live in the UK and have their wet summer than bake somewhere in the Med.

southerner Aug 9th 2007 3:24 am

Sorry to say that I think the NZ weather is bloody freezing with really short wet summers....Where ever you live is about the same....

You're kidding right????

Anyway, even in somewhere like Dunedin which is pillorised in the media for having some of the worst weather in NZ, I can hand on heart say it sure beats where we came from in England (which was the SE).

To the OP, Nelson and Blenheim definitely have the best weather IMO, Hawkes Bay, Northland and BOP get a bit too hot in mid summer for my liking.

In Nelson, a sea breeze normally comes in during the afternoon which keeps it bearable.

Maz Aug 9th 2007 3:43 am

Originally Posted by Jude J (Post 5166066)
electric blanket blanket

What's one of them then? :p :D

Colin in the middle Aug 9th 2007 3:51 am

Where the heck have you been living?

Should move to where we are in February we had a rare -2 frost which turned into a 28c scorcher as soon as the sun come up :blink: Trouble is everyone except the thermometers and the farmers milking their cows missed the frost :thumbup: oh and my Tomatoes noticed :thumbdown:

500m above sea level and maybe the rainfall is higher but we get some good sunny days and because of the altitude even a cool 20c feels to hot. The rain falls hard and is short lived mostly. We dont get the opressive humidity of sea level. Oh and you can sea snow on the mountain in summer and still go up there in shorts :thumbsup: Guess what it was like Tuesday :eek:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...03809Small.jpg

Jude J Aug 9th 2007 3:52 am

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 5166237)
What's one of them then? :p :D

:rofl: It's my own special kind :D

BEVS Aug 9th 2007 4:56 am

It's gotta be Nelson and Bays hasn't it, but ssshhhh, me and him don't want the place filling up with loads of people.

Hot summers. Winters are frosty starts with sunny warm days. There are some rains but we need these to fill the water tanks ,grow the veg and green the grass.

Today is a Tshirt day and its mid-Winter. Me bloke is outside chopping wood in tshirt and shorts.

No snow on the ground in Winter but a ski field 1 1/2 hours away.
Beaches, National parks, lakes , mountains - it's all here .:thumbup:

SarahB Aug 9th 2007 9:19 am

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 5166394)
Today is a Tshirt day and its mid-Winter.

Yep.... t-shirt and jeans for me today, but my legs were too warm. Considering its mid winter its excellent. :)