Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

When was your " think I've settled" moment

When was your " think I've settled" moment

Old Mar 8th 2014, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

gazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nice
Default Re: When was your " think I've settled" moment

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
A bit like having a bar in your garage - euhhh!
I think having a bar in your garage is really cool. So much so that I plan to build one in my own garage and serve amongst others, my own beer.

I never met anyone in Scotland who had a bar in the garage.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Reylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to all

I could see myself in that scenario, I thought it was a male / female thing, so you've scuppered that idea for me. I always find that car places, tradies and the likes here seem to be unaccustomed to dealing with the lady of the house. I gave one fella a ticking off as he shook my OHs hand and gave him all the sweet as bro, I'll see you right treatment and thanking him for the business of fixing up my bloomin car; er excuse me young man it's my car, I brought the car in, I paid for it and OH had absolutely nothing to do with the transaction.
Unfortunately, this happens in the UK too.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 6:36 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
And they lived happily ever after....not. I actually know quiet a few German immigrants who have lived in NZ for many many years, but now that they are growing old they feel stuck, having traveled every road in NZ, would like to return to Europe/ move on to other countries, but for various reasons do/can not. So not for everyone there will be a "fit" feeling for ever. For me there never was a fit feeling although I had a decent job, a great landlord and fantastic friends.

Of course, some people will repeat the process over and over. I wonder whether it fits with returning expats when they've been away a while.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 10:54 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

See it's crap like that that does my head in; people have been brewing beer the world over since ages ago - it's not a Kiwi thing. It's always been a bit uncool and synonymous with 1970s dads, along with manky beards, handknitted jumpers and socks and sandals - so I can see why NZers have adopted it as their own. A bit like having a bar in your garage - euhhh!
Don't let it do your head in Bo, it wasn't a comment intended to annoy anyone

I can assure you that all of our friends who brew range from early twenties and up into their sixties. Non of which have manky beards, hand knitted jumpers or wear socks and sandals. That just seems like a huge a generalisation, and not an accuate one at that. The way I view it NZ'ers haven't adopted brewing as their own. It is just something that seems more popular here. Obviously that is just my personal experience and entirly subjective.

Anyways, back on topic... something about settling...

Last edited by Pom_Chch; Mar 8th 2014 at 10:56 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

I popped into a brewing shop a few days ago out of curiosity. The place was fascinating, I think it could be quite fun concocting a home brew. I've made alcoholic ginger beer a few times ( unintentionally though ). Back to topic.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 11:48 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hokey-pokey
I popped into a brewing shop a few days ago out of curiosity. The place was fascinating, I think it could be quite fun concocting a home brew. I've made alcoholic ginger beer a few times ( unintentionally though ). Back to topic.
It is a fun thing to do and the more you brew the more you want to concoct! A great little hobby and fantastic way to make new friends. Also saves a lot of money. I can never resist saving a bob or two!

Unintentional ginger beer sounds good!!
Old Mar 9th 2014, 7:19 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

30 months and still not had the settled moment

I think once I start masturbating as to how great Lorde is or jerk off every time a celebrity of some sort is visiting the country, then perhaps I might experience it

That or get so excited I wet my pants when Valerie Adams or the all blacks win
Old Mar 9th 2014, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom1983

I think once I start masturbating as to how great Lorde is or jerk off every time a celebrity of some sort is visiting the country, then perhaps I might experience it

My favourite post of 2014
Old Mar 9th 2014, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

snip snip

I'm so not settled, I had to look up who Valerie Adams is. Been here nearly 10 years.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I guess when I met the kiwi woman who is now my wife 3 years ago.
I was pretty ok before that, thought about going back briefly when it went to custard with the ex but think
I realy just wanted a hug from my mum.

I absolutely love it here
Old Mar 9th 2014, 8:29 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by The Weezer
I'm so not settled, I had to look up who Valerie Adams is. Been here nearly 10 years.
You are so lucky that you didn't hear the constant 24/7 news about how disgraceful it was that she didn't win gold medal at London (this was before the Belarussian woman was found to be using drugs)

It was as if the world was coming to an end. I thought the media was bad back in Blighty whenever the England football team lose but this was 10 times worse.

I thought when England defeated the All Blacks 2 years ago, there would be a national disaster in the media. But that was mild compared to the Valerie Adams fiasco.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 8:46 pm
She'll be right

You are so lucky that you didn't hear the constant 24/7 news about how disgraceful it was that she didn't win gold medal at London (this was before the Belarussian woman was found to be using drugs)
Totally off topic (again) but...

I personally see nothing wrong with the extent of the media coverage surrounding Valerie Adams. It was no different to coverage in the UK when Lance Armstrong was rumbled for abusing drugs. I think what happened to Valerie would have been devastating to say the least. Missing out on winning gold at the biggest sporting event of all time just because someone else cheated. Yes, those are the kinds of things that have an awful lot of coverage in the news here and everywhere for that matter. That moment will never come back for Valerie. As we all know NZ has such a small population so to produce a world class athlete is a huge achievement. I also think it's great that Kiwi's are so passionate about their sporting achievements.

As you were!
Old Mar 9th 2014, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

gina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of light

I'm interested in this home brewing side thread !!!!! I wonder if anyone can tell me if wine making at home is the same sort of thing? It's just that this year I have an insane amount of blue/black grapes and they are too jelly like for eating was wondering what to do with them

Back to topic of dad coming to stay. After a lot of talk with my brother I realised it was a heat of the moment reaction and I didn't quite think about what a huge impact it would have on our little family here, so for now he is staying in the uk, he has a home help etc and hopefully next year we could all go visit him
Old Mar 9th 2014, 9:16 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

This home brew talk is making me have horrible childhood memories.

The memory of my dad trying his hardest to make drinkable wine, year after bloody year. The cupboard in my bedroom taken over by glugging demijohns full of sour, vinegar tasting fluid.

My poor mam who each year was selected as wine taster because my dad was too scared to try it. Now when you are a child and you get the chance to have a sneaky try of alcohol it is sooo exciting, not for me. Did it once, never again. Im sure my dad actually used his wine one year to remove an oil stain on our driveway.

My dad did wear crazy knitted jumpers and slippers too but didnt have a beard. He was bald, that also may be due to his wine!
Old Mar 9th 2014, 9:25 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I used to make home made wine and it was lovely. You need to get all the gear in, and I always found bottling a bit of a hassle, but I had some really good results. I never made grape wine because it was in the UK and I didn't have a ready supply, but I made a gorgeous rhubarb wine which was a lovely dry rosé - looked lovely in a glass too.

I suggest you see if your library has a book. I had one that included non-alcoholic cordials as well as the more standard wines. See if you can get the demi-johns in a second hand shop or on trade me. They can be quite expensive. Maintain good hygiene too as bugs will cause failures (and sickness!).

I also remember home made ginger beer from my childhood which was pretty good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.