Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

When looking for a property....

When looking for a property....

Old Jun 16th 2013, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

elk1973 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When looking for a property....

So I keep reading about how cold the houses are in NZ, however some can we quite warm if you get the right equipment by the looks of things.
In england I'd just look for double glazing, and good loft insulation, and of course Central heating. But is sounds like you have to look for different things in NZ. Heat pumps? what are they never heard of them...

So when looking for a property what things should look for in order to keep warm - and I might need a little education on some of this equipment I am unfamiliar with

looking at a budget of $700 per week...not sure if that will make any difference.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 7:07 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When looking for a property....

Assuming you mean to rent??... If so I'd invest in some good heaters of your own and a dehumidifier that you can take wherever you go. Then avoid southern slopes or a house that is in a 'dip', stay away from plaster or anything that 'smells damp'. Then assume that you're going to have a huge power bill during the colder months. All the extras you mention are what you install into a house you buy and you'll be lucky to get them in a rental.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 7:25 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Just to confuse the issue further, a lot of homes, particularly further North are designed to deal with hot weather! You will probably be renting so you can stock up on Electric heaters pretty cheaply.

If I was looking at a house positive things in terms of temperature might be (not in this order):
  • No signs of mold or damp (look for evidence of leaks)
  • double-glazing (rare in Auckland, more common down South I believe)
  • insulation
  • heat pump (which works as air con too - here in Auckland we have it on in the summer and winter.)
  • woodburner (great in a power cut which you get here more often than in SE England)
  • Check the hot water tank is big enough for your needs
  • Large windows and glass doors - good in terms of warming rooms if they let the sunshine in, not so good when not double glazed because they get cold. Nice to have lots of light coming in though. Can lead to overheated rooms in summer.

I agree that a dehumidifier is a good investment, especially if you are renting. This and the electric heaters will probably come in useful wherever you live.

Last edited by jmh; Jun 16th 2013 at 7:28 am.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elk1973
So I keep reading about how cold the houses are in NZ, however some can we quite warm if you get the right equipment by the looks of things.
Usually Kiwis will recommend you invest in an extra sweater and some concrete pills.

The right equipment for bedtime might also includes some sexy thermal underwear, polarfleece onesie, a beanie, electric blanket and flannelette sheets.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 9:07 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

agree with Bo Jangles, get your thermals before you come. men as well. My hubby used to be au naturel in the UK but even he wears fleecy jammies in bed now and we have invested in heated blanket. Heat pumps are well and good but once turned off thats it no residue heat.
Double glazing isn't as UK and does not act the same, unless you get a new build where it might be.
Don't book a rental for more than 6mths, if it has problems you will want to get out as soon as possible as the landlord is unlikely to make things better as there is always someone else to take it on.

Just a note, kiwi friend of ours has been in bed all day with heated blanket on to keep warm as they have no fire wood for the wood burner so it's not just us poms that suffer from the cold
Old Jun 16th 2013, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Hi, just coming in on this thread, we have just rented a bungalow that doesn't have double glazing or a heat pump, but it does have 2 gas wall heaters and we are told, wall and ceiling insulation, underlay under the carpet and wait for it.....under floor heating in the very small ensuite
So my question is what heaters should we buy, electric, oil filled, 5 fins, 10 Fins etc etc. any particular makes best?
Thanks in advanced
Old Jun 16th 2013, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Usually Kiwis will recommend you invest in an extra sweater and some concrete pills.

The right equipment for bedtime might also includes some sexy thermal underwear, polarfleece onesie, a beanie, electric blanket and flannelette sheets.
your pulling my leg...that sounds like bloody camping!
Old Jun 16th 2013, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

why is the housing so poor in NZ? I don't just don't understand - surely developers have said we're going to raise standards?
Old Jun 16th 2013, 9:45 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moonie2011
Hi, just coming in on this thread, we have just rented a bungalow that doesn't have double glazing or a heat pump, but it does have 2 gas wall heaters and we are told, wall and ceiling insulation, underlay under the carpet and wait for it.....under floor heating in the very small ensuite
So my question is what heaters should we buy, electric, oil filled, 5 fins, 10 Fins etc etc. any particular makes best?
Thanks in advanced
we have a oil heater and a electric heater if you need to borrow some
Old Jun 16th 2013, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
we have a oil heater and a electric heater if you need to borrow some
Ooh may take you up on that until we find out exactly what we need by living in it. See you Wednesday, looking forward to it
Old Jun 16th 2013, 9:47 am

they are now getting things a bit better but you will be lucky to find a new build that is for rent.
most places are wooden construction to stand up to the earthquakes. some areas, like ours, do no have main gas so can't have central heating.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by moonie2011
Ooh may take you up on that until we find out exactly what we need by living in it. See you Wednesday, looking forward to it
ok will put them in the boot, unless you don't want them yet, along with a pick axe and bow saw to return to Mary

Last edited by MrsFychan; Jun 16th 2013 at 9:51 am.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 12:23 am
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

I wear a beanie to bed or sleep with my head under the duvet otherwise you wake up with a mega headache from the cold.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Camping, yes it can often feel that way. I forgot to mention that other preferred Kiwi mod con; the hot-water bottle.

I have heard many folks extolling the virtues of an electric throw; it sounds to me like they all pretty much live on the sofa wrapped in it. Yeughh!

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Jun 17th 2013 at 2:19 am.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 2:24 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I wore a knitted beany hat to bed when we lived in Christchurch. Yes it was like bloody camping. How was this an improvement on life in England I asked myself ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.