British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   When to inform your work (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/when-inform-your-work-689501/)

LukeandJo Oct 14th 2010 6:56 am

When to inform your work

I can imagine for some people a difficult yet jubilant time to inform work you are leaving and moving to another country, but when do you inform them?

Is it OK to leave it up to just working your notice? I suppose depending on the relationship with work and mainly your boss the replies might be different.

Any, when did you inform work that you are emigrating.

Jo-Chris Oct 14th 2010 7:09 am

Re: When to inform your work

Originally Posted by LukeandJo (Post 8917163)
I can imagine for some people a difficult yet jubilant time to inform work you are leaving and moving to another country, but when do you inform them?

Is it OK to leave it up to just working your notice? I suppose depending on the relationship with work and mainly your boss the replies might be different.

Hi,

Once we got PR I told work that we were emigrating. I gave them a rough date which gave them about 3 months notice! We didnt have jobs and were job hunting from the UK. We didnt have much luck so decided on a date and confirmed our leaving dates - with that I got offered a job in NZ whilst still in the UK - Typical!

sirplug Oct 14th 2010 8:10 am

Originally Posted by LukeandJo (Post 8917163)

As my boss was a pain in the @rse power freak, I gave them the contractual 4 weeks, for a job that my replacement is still learning, 7 months on!:D

LukeandJo Oct 14th 2010 8:50 am

Well thank you for the replies.
Tough one for me, part of me wants to tell them. The other part says just give them the contractual notice period.

Mrs Pointer Oct 14th 2010 9:01 am

I told mine in July when I got PR, though I'm not leaving until the end of Jan (moving to NZ end of March).

We were going through a restructuring so I had to tell them why I wasn't reapplying for my job and going for voluntary severance. Didn't get the dosh though, they demoted me instead :thumbdown:.

I've worked out a compromise with them (they're paying me more money to do the job I was doing anyway because it will take them that long to get a replacement and they needed me as much as I needed the salary) and we're all friends again.

The OH has only told one of his bosses as there is maybe a chance to move in=house to NZ. But he's not resigning until the last minute.

skybluestu Oct 14th 2010 10:31 am

Its a Hard One to get right I would say, My OH got offered a Job Four months ago and we decided to go for PR visas. We are still waiting for our PR today and the wifes start date was last Monday 11th October. I took voluntary redundancy thinking we would get our Visa in time and the wife gave in her job and has worked her three months notice. So I am doing some part time work and the OH is not working.

I personally would not say anything to your employers until you have your PR then either work your notice or just leave depending if you have a Job to go to. My wife would do that as she wanted to be Loyal to her present employer I would be a bit more mercenary and just leave.

We have been told we will know by the end of October about our PR visa and luckily the OH new employers are happy to wait. But we are in Limbo as the Kids are not at School, we cant book flights, we cant let the house out, we cant ship the dog or furniture and i have had to turn a job down because i dont have my PR visa any they could wait any longer.......................

keep on checking the NZ web site and e-mail and ther post every day in antcipation of a new Life!!

skybluestu Oct 14th 2010 12:42 pm

Its a Hard One to get right I would say, My OH got offered a Job Four months ago and we decided to go for PR visas. We are still waiting for our PR today and the wifes start date was last Monday 11th October. I took voluntary redundancy thinking we would get our Visa in time and the wife gave in her job and has worked her three months notice. So I am doing some part time work and the OH is not working.

I personally would not say anything to your employers until you have your PR then either work your notice or just leave depending if you have a Job to go to. My wife [COLOR="red"]would not do that as she wanted to be Loyal to her present employer I would be a bit more mercenary and just leave.

We have been told we will know by the end of October about our PR visa and luckily the OH new employers are happy to wait. But we are in Limbo as the Kids are not at School, we cant book flights, we cant let the house out, we cant ship the dog or furniture and i have had to turn a job down because i dont have my PR visa any they could wait any longer.......................

keep on checking the NZ web site and e-mail and ther post every day in antcipation of a new Life!!

LukeandJo Oct 14th 2010 1:14 pm

Oh we have PR. Been through the process.
Leaving at the end of March.

Mrs Pointer Oct 14th 2010 1:31 pm

Same time as us. We're flying out with Emirates on March 31!!

So, I've told my work (because of circumstance), the OH hasn't. I also wanted a couple of months off to sort out my wedding and the move. He's working right up to the wire.