Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

When flying into Auckland do you feel ....

When flying into Auckland do you feel ....

Old Sep 22nd 2011, 1:58 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When flying into Auckland do you feel ....

On the occasions when I've been back none of the five listed. I'm with Charismatic, just glad to be able to walk away alive. Landing in Wellington is a real joy.

I do admit to feeling No.1 when I touch down in Brisbane, walk out of the terminal and feel the warm breeze on my face. There's just something special about Brisbane airport.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

I'm just sad that I'm not landing somewhere warmer. I love that feelilng whe the door opens and you get blasted with the heat!
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 2:51 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, I do too. It's like being on holiday.

Landing in Auckland feels like work to me and the drive from the airport across Mangere bridge and into the city doesn't do much to alleviate the feeling.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 7:38 pm

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi

Landing in Auckland feels like work to me and the drive from the airport across Mangere bridge and into the city doesn't do much to alleviate the feeling.
Well ... you must have some sort of romantic attachment to your old country. You seem to spend half your life posting here.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 7:48 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Number one. Despite the glaring issues with NZ Lardyl mentions and my own reservations and frustrations, I've always felt a sense of delight and pride returning to NZ. She seems to always put on a blue sky for us too and the kids are always delighted to be 'home', which this really is for them even though they will have been sobbing at leaving family.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 7:48 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

PS- don't go Waikato Guy, I think there's room for you adn your perspective!
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 9:08 pm

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
She seems to always put on a blue sky for us too
It's a fantastic morning in the Waikato today. Not a cloud in the sky. I love this time of year when it's like this. Not too hot, not too cold. I'm going to try and wangle today's work schedule so that I'm outside as much as possible.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 9:40 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
It's a fantastic morning in the Waikato today. Not a cloud in the sky. I love this time of year when it's like this. Not too hot, not too cold. I'm going to try and wangle today's work schedule so that I'm outside as much as possible.
totally - no flies here yet which makes being indoors in the sun fantastic

the tide's right for taking the kids down the wharf after school - let's hope no work comes in today
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 9:45 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
PS- don't go Waikato Guy, I think there's room for you adn your perspective!
Yup ! A bit like The Tardis. There is room for all.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 10:51 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
Well ... you must have some sort of romantic attachment to your old country. You seem to spend half your life posting here.
Ok next time I'm over I'll drive south
Old Sep 24th 2011, 6:09 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Both times I've come back from Ireland I've been on my own so my strongest feeling was that of looking forward to seeing my husband. I didn't feel sad this time because I'd been there long enough to get fed up and I really felt I'd come to terms with my life being on this side of the world and coming into Auckland really felt like coming home. My youngest sister had her first baby last month and that feeling's been tested a bit. It's hard when you leave children behind. I just want to give her a cuddle though so if I could do a 'beam me up Scotty' I'd be as happy as that Larry lad and I wouldn't have to fly at all.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I arrived back from a trip to italy and the uk this morning and DEFINITELY felt
warm and fuzzy on the approach to Auckland.