Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

When did you move?

When did you move?

Old Jan 1st 2010, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

robc1985 will become famous soon enough
Default When did you move?

I have wanted to move to New Zealand for a long time to do my trade as a Civil Engineering Technician which is on the skill level 2 list. I turn 25 in January which is actually starting to make me feel old and that time is running out! I am engaged so obviously have a long term plan for making it to New Zealand but I just worry that i'm going to end up being one of those people who say 'I wish' rather than saying I tried. Even if I move and hate it, i'd rather say I tried and failed rather than never tried at all.

I was just wondering if people planned settling down or just bit the bullet and did it. Like I say, i'm nearly 25 and i'm just worried that before I know it i'll be 30 and have other commitments, children etc.

Cheers

Rob
Old Jan 1st 2010, 2:46 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When did you move?

you are soooo young! and have plenty of time!

Completely agree better to have a try & things not work out than to always wonder how it may have gone. How does you fiancee feel about going to NZ is this a dream for both of you?

Joining this site is a great start, you will get some invaluable advice and lots of good info on the whole process of making the move warts and all.

Do not worry about your age you have lots of time to really research & plan for the move should you wish to go ahead, in a way I think it would be a lot easier to go now while you are young & do not have kids & mortgage. Having said that there are plenty who have gone/are going with kids and a mortgage here (myself included) we all go for different reason just make sure its a pull not a push

Good luck to you & all your future plans

Dewb
Originally Posted by robc1985
I have wanted to move to New Zealand for a long time to do my trade as a Civil Engineering Technician which is on the skill level 2 list. I turn 25 in January which is actually starting to make me feel old and that time is running out! I am engaged so obviously have a long term plan for making it to New Zealand but I just worry that i'm going to end up being one of those people who say 'I wish' rather than saying I tried. Even if I move and hate it, i'd rather say I tried and failed rather than never tried at all.

I was just wondering if people planned settling down or just bit the bullet and did it. Like I say, i'm nearly 25 and i'm just worried that before I know it i'll be 30 and have other commitments, children etc.

Cheers

Rob
Old Jan 1st 2010, 4:09 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

Rob
No, no , no!! 25 is not old!!!

We have children your age and are about to leave them here in the UK to settle in NZ, like you say better to try than say 'I wish' but we do say 'we wish we'd moved earlier!!

If you want to you could keep putting things like this off for a very long time, until you are older.....or you could bite the bullet and go for it !!

Totally agree with Dewb09 on being pulled rather than pushed!!
Good luck with whatever direction life takes you in!
B x
Old Jan 1st 2010, 6:14 pm

george toni is an unknown quantity at this point

I say just do it!

one thing I wish I had done was make the move at your age instead of at 38!

You are right life will get in the way the longer you leave it as all being well and should you want them children do add to the equation and will either make you come here or keep you there due to grandparents etc.

id say at 25 look at the next 5 years as the ones to try this adventure in,then if it all goes wrong you can head back to the uk and still only be 30!!

If it truley is a dream to try this then just do it!

good luck and all the best

george
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Theres plenty of work for civil engineers down here.
Although i think OZ would be a better place for a 25 yr old.
(thats just my opinion)
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,
We have just arrived (Oct 09!) Im 28 OH is 29 and we are loving it. We thought we need to do it now before starting a family etc as we didn't want to say 'what if' if we had stayed in the UK.

If its what you want to do just go for it! We initially came out on a working holiday visa back in 2002/3 for 6 months and love it and always wanted to go back so we never really settled back in the UK.

Jo
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

robc1985 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Dewb09
you are soooo young! and have plenty of time!

Completely agree better to have a try & things not work out than to always wonder how it may have gone. How does you fiancee feel about going to NZ is this a dream for both of you?

Joining this site is a great start, you will get some invaluable advice and lots of good info on the whole process of making the move warts and all.

Do not worry about your age you have lots of time to really research & plan for the move should you wish to go ahead, in a way I think it would be a lot easier to go now while you are young & do not have kids & mortgage. Having said that there are plenty who have gone/are going with kids and a mortgage here (myself included) we all go for different reason just make sure its a pull not a push

Good luck to you & all your future plans

Dewb
The slight problem is that is it my dream and not Becky's. That's what makes it really hard. Becky is younger though so in a few years maybe she'll feel like me and want to do it. The plan was to do it all before I am 30. Becky is scared about moving for good so one possible option is to have a working holiday. Like you say I suppose I am still fairly young and have time to plan. It's just a case of doing it before we settle down with children.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 12:40 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers

Rob
25??? omg your kidding me? wish i was 25 again I wouldnt have got married or had commitments as you call them, enjoy yourself and dont settle down

Im 51 and i dont feel old its a frame of mind!!
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

As the others have said, 25 is very young. I think it will certainly be easier at your age, with no kids to consider, no worries about schools and more freedom to mix. On the other hand I wonder if those who move in middle age with kids and a mortgage try harder to make it work, as they have more to lose. Certainly at your age, if it doesn't work you can go back to UK and have plenty of time to pick up your careers and recover financially.

Has Becky even been to NZ? If not then a straight holiday or a working holiday for a few months might let you both know whether it's what you want. Do you have to decide it's for ever before you do it?

If you don't both want it, and she's more important to you than the NZ adventure, I wouldn't do it, as resentment is no way to start a marriage. However, if you don't go now I don't think you need feel it's all over. Look how many on this site are moving with kids, dogs and containers of stuff in their 30s and 40s. Circumstances change and so do dreams, but you may both have to agree to compromise to help each other realise your respective dreams.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 8:10 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Hope I am not coming across as patronizing, not intended. My son is the same age as you and the one thing I have always encouraged my kids to do is to get out and see the world. Is it possible you can save up and do some traveling. My son and his girlfriend did a world tour did a lot of far east / Australia then spent about six months in NZ working to earn some pingers before continuing on. There is a whole big world out there to go and see. I cant help but wonder why you have settled for NZ?

Hopefully if you travel with your girlfriend you will both get to see what you really like and what you dont.

Please do not think I am patronizing you, it was something I wished I had done when I was youn (ahhhh hindsight is wonderful). I am now married to a Kiwi and have been over a few times so for us its a natural next step as hubby has lived in the UK for 11 years, though I would give it go over in his homeland.

Good ;luck with what every you do, but dont put an age limit on anything life is way too short.

Dewb
The slight problem is that is it my dream and not Becky's. That's what makes it really hard. Becky is younger though so in a few years maybe she'll feel like me and want to do it. The plan was to do it all before I am 30. Becky is scared about moving for good so one possible option is to have a working holiday. Like you say I suppose I am still fairly young and have time to plan. It's just a case of doing it before we settle down with children.