Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wheelchair hire or scooter hire in Auckland generally and CBD

Wheelchair hire or scooter hire in Auckland generally and CBD

Old Oct 5th 2013, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

LittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really nice
Default Wheelchair hire or scooter hire in Auckland generally and CBD

Hi everyone,

Was wondering if anyone knew if wheelchair hire is available and in particular the electric, shop mobility type, scooter/wheelchair hire in Auckland CBD and at attractions in Auckland generally?

Thanks!
Old Oct 5th 2013, 5:11 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wheelchair hire or scooter hire in Auckland generally and CBD

A quick Google search will give you listings of places to hire wheelchairs etc

As for specific attractions, no idea.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 6:05 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by LittleMonkey
Hi everyone,

Was wondering if anyone knew if wheelchair hire is available and in particular the electric, shop mobility type, scooter/wheelchair hire in Auckland CBD and at attractions in Auckland generally?

Thanks!
Hmm. My Mum was disabled for many decades of my life and my Dad had very impaired mobility in his later years ( I'm practicing with roller skates )

Such a difficult thing isn't it to plan and sort. Have you ever needed to do this before?

Auckland Zoo seems to have motor scooters
Auckland museum has facilities.

Where are you wishing to visit. The Auckland CBD is quite condensed from memory. Not sure what there is there.

Skytower has access.

There is an actual disability access map available for Auckland but I was unable to get it to appear here. Contact the Auckland tourist people for it.

I had a poodle around trying to find the right sort of thing. Must admit I found this a bit of a tough one and I've had to do plenty of this in the UK and Europe in th epast.

In the end I came up with THIS ONE.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 6:07 am
`

Oh ! Confused now. You are in Auckland.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

LittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really nice

Originally Posted by BEVS
Oh ! Confused now. You are in Auckland.
Hi Bevs,

Yes sorry should have been clearer, I have a family member visiting soon who will occasionally need a wheelchair and has in the uk hired the scooters for ease!

I have had a google and have struggled to find places...which is why I posted on here! maybe coz I am looking for somewhere like in the uk where you can go to a town and hire one by the hour etc! Well was thinking there might be on in the CBD anyway!

We live an hour plus out of CBD so haven't been there often enough to look!

Thanks for the link, very helpful, hadn't found that one previously!
Old Oct 5th 2013, 6:39 am
`

I gotcha. Normally , you can do this from a UK shopping centre etc. or Red Cross.

edit here.

So. Not suggesting you're not capable at all but you need to have an itinerary and make that sorta very set here.

Ask your relly what they want to see and then look at how they can do this. ( sorry . Not meaning to suck eggs)

My Mum once wanted to see the Eagles Nest in Austria so I went all out and when we got there we had a very limited access which equalled to a very frustrated visit for everyone.

It's tough and can be so time consuming that you lose the actual visit or outing. Knowing in advance is everything.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 5th 2013 at 6:55 am.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
I gotcha. Normally , you can do this from a UK shopping centre etc. or Red Cross.

edit here.

So. Not suggesting you're not capable at all but you need to have an itinerary and make that sorta very set here.

Ask your relly what they want to see and then look at how they can do this. ( sorry . Not meaning to suck eggs)

My Mum once wanted to see the Eagles Nest in Austria so I went all out and when we got there we had a very limited access which equalled to a very frustrated visit for everyone.

It's tough and can be so time consuming that you lose the actual visit or outing. Knowing in advance is everything.

Thanks Bevs,

They are on with there list now
Old Oct 5th 2013, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.ilsnz.org/ might be able to help