British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Whee do I start???? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/whee-do-i-start-683655/)

Essex Mum Sep 1st 2010 1:27 pm

Whee do I start????

I'm new to this site (managed to posted my first message in the wrong place...doh!) My family and I are tentatively considering a permanent move to NZ. Despite being die-hard Brits, we're becoming more and more jaded by good ole Blighty and so may be looking to NZ for a different way of life. I'm 41, husband 42, 2 daughters 8 and 2. I've spent the last 25 years working in London in Insurance, my husband has the same time in Construction. We have no contacts in NZ, know very little about the country, immigration, where to go for suitable work, education, health - you name it, we don't know it! Hope to have funds for a first NZ visit in the new year but really wouldn't know the most suitable cities/towns for go for our particular line of work. Any pointers greatfully received. Thanks!!!

desert-rat Sep 1st 2010 2:15 pm

Re: Whee do I start????

Originally Posted by Essex Mum (Post 8818645)
I'm new to this site (managed to posted my first message in the wrong place...doh!) My family and I are tentatively considering a permanent move to NZ. Despite being die-hard Brits, we're becoming more and more jaded by good ole Blighty and so may be looking to NZ for a different way of life. I'm 41, husband 42, 2 daughters 8 and 2. I've spent the last 25 years working in London in Insurance, my husband has the same time in Construction. We have no contacts in NZ, know very little about the country, immigration, where to go for suitable work, education, health - you name it, we don't know it! Hope to have funds for a first NZ visit in the new year but really wouldn't know the most suitable cities/towns for go for our particular line of work. Any pointers greatfully received. Thanks!!!

I am in the same position.
Have a look at www.immigration.govt.nz
Good luck

Essex Mum Sep 1st 2010 2:19 pm

Thanks Desert-rat - will do!

Scousebird Sep 1st 2010 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Essex Mum (Post 8818756)
Thanks Desert-rat - will do!

I love NZ and also planning a return have visited x3 and lived there for over 12 months. Although expensive it's always worth trying to visit a place as making the move is massive when you don't know where you're going to. At least you will have an idea of what to expect and could speak to people over there. I feel it's a better place for children to grow up in and now I have children we are going back having regretted returning! The only bad points I found whilst there was kiwi drivers (sorry), choice of food and being that little bit further away from the UK than I liked as it is an isolated country. I've read through many threads of different experiences and there are many different ones some good some bad but that's with everything. Good luck.

Essex Mum Sep 2nd 2010 12:45 pm

Thanks Scousebird. I do have an assumption (rightly or wrongly) that the lifestyle would benefit my children, although it would have to work for all of us, with work being the biggest issue. If we can get funds together, we'll aim to have a couple of weeks in NZ, running around different areas and see how the job market currently lies. It is a massive step and I'm conscious that this would affect a lot of people (family/friends) but there's no harm in doing the ground work, is there? Thanks again.

Toon_Nut Sep 7th 2010 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Essex Mum (Post 8818645)
25 years working in London in Insurance, my husband has the same time in Construction.

know the most suitable cities/towns for go for our particular line of work.

I'd say head straight to Christchurch after last weeks terrible events. Surely if there was ever a place in need of insurance and construction right now thats got to be your best bet by far?

Not making light of the quake but someone somewhere will be making mega $$$$'s from it, it's worth a shout.

Am Loolah Sep 7th 2010 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Toon_Nut (Post 8832442)
I'd say head straight to Christchurch after last weeks terrible events. Surely if there was ever a place in need of insurance and construction right now thats got to be your best bet by far?

Not making light of the quake but someone somewhere will be making mega $$$$'s from it, it's worth a shout.

Great minds think alike, you beat me to it!:thumbup:

Other places to consider might be the bigger cities/towns depending on what kind of lifestyle you want from the move? Auckland, Wellington, Dunedin etc.

Essex Mum Sep 8th 2010 12:34 pm

Thanks guys. It did cross our minds when we saw Christchurch devastation. Think we need to do some more ground work as we really are starting from scratch. Although, I have just found out an old colleague of mine moved to NZ a few years ago, so am trying to locate him as he's still in the insurance sector and would be a good contact.