Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What's wrong with NZ ?????

What's wrong with NZ ?????

Old Sep 10th 2008, 9:14 pm
Me, my 2 boys & Red 10

Team-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really nice
Default What's wrong with NZ ?????

Help your all worrying me
What's wrong with NZ? Why's everyone going home?
Old Sep 10th 2008, 9:21 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What's wrong with NZ ?????

Originally Posted by Team-Reynolds
Make up your own mind, I have English friends living in NZ and they never come on expats, they are getting on with there lifes.

If you took any notice of what went on here...well you wouldn't go anywhere.

but Im sure someone on here will tell you all the negative points, wait for it you asked
Old Sep 10th 2008, 9:43 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

There is nothing wrong with it. It's not going to sink ,although I s'pose it could shake itself apart or bury parts of it in molten lava one of these days.

For any hopeful migrant , it is a simple equation. Don't read the fancy travel guide type stuff . Just do the math and research . The scenery , less people etc is just a bonus . Get your fundamental living facts & figures right and try to make sure those facts & figures come close to your expectations or what you are willing to settle for in exchange for living in NZ.

New Zealand is not a cheap place to live and can be very isolating.
As someone else has stated here recently , it is better to be pulled to a new life than feel pushed from where you are.

What are you wanting from your move to New Zealand?
Old Sep 10th 2008, 9:49 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS here
There is nothing wrong with it. It's not going to sink ,although I s'pose it could shake itself apart or bury parts of it in molten lava one of these days.

For any hopeful migrant , it is a simple equation. Don't read the fancy travel guide type stuff . Just do the math and research . The scenery , less people etc is just a bonus . Get your fundamental living facts & figures right and try to make sure those facts & figures come close to your expectations or what you are willing to settle for in exchange for living in NZ.

New Zealand is not a cheap place to live and can be very isolating.
As someone else has stated here recently , it is better to be pulled to a new life than feel pushed from where you are.

What are you wanting from your move to New Zealand?
Good answer Bev, and your right.

I like it has fewer people, we have a big house overlooking countryside, which we could not match in the Uk...

the people are friendly I feel is safer for my children, kids stay kids longer, the citys like Wellington and Auckland are very cosmo love them...

the scenery spectacular, the weather is milder.

a long way a way from the Uk just wish it was nearer..

Dont Know if we will stay here for life, but are living the dream now.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

There's nothing wrong with NZ. Its just not everyone's idea of fun. I got pissed off living in the UK after 45 years, wanted and needed a change, NZ offered much of what I felt me and my family wanted. I was right. We love it warts and all. Just like all countries NZ has its own fair share of crap and awful stats. It has many positives aswell. I am sure all my kids will do the off and seek more fun and excitement elsewhere. That's life. NZ is not for everyone. You have to think hard about why you want to come here.

At 50 I am sure that the first 3.5 years here are the start of my last. I do not intend to make a BIG move again and for the first time in my life I am happy to call somewhere home and hang up my hat. Having bought a house that no one else would ever wish to buy probably helps me make that decision!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 11th 2008, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
At 50 I am sure that the first 3.5 years here are the start of my last. I do not intend to make a BIG move again and for the first time in my life I am happy to call somewhere home and hang up my hat. Having bought a house that no one else would ever wish to buy probably helps me make that decision!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am happy for you.

It's always good to read your life stories ....... ........though you repeat them over and over again! -

it also inspires me ............

sometimes wish I could luv nz {{{that much }}} as you do.

NOw........give me Belgian Waffle.............. WAFFLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:embaressed_smile:

Last edited by crap coffee; Sep 11th 2008 at 10:49 am.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 10:33 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
There's nothing wrong with NZ. Its just not everyone's idea of fun. I got pissed off living in the UK after 45 years, wanted and needed a change, NZ offered much of what I felt me and my family wanted. I was right. We love it warts and all. Just like all countries NZ has its own fair share of crap and awful stats. It has many positives aswell. I am sure all my kids will do the off and seek more fun and excitement elsewhere. That's life. NZ is not for everyone. You have to think hard about why you want to come here.

Well done stick to your guns and I am happy for you that you have found somewhere to call home. Don`t listen to all the moans about NZ I imagine its a great place for you to live. Whereabouts do you live?
Old Sep 11th 2008, 11:49 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Nothing wrong for us where we are - love it too!

But my mum's selling her place in Cyprus if you decide not to come ...
Old Sep 11th 2008, 6:48 pm
** My Beautiful Angel **

mum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant future

Hi everyone
Back on my log in now. Was using OH Team-Reynolds log on as mine crashed :curse:

I was just being nosy really about why people are leaving NZ. No ones going to change my mind about coming in Feb. We can wait to arrive, were coming for a better life for kids and there future, and will embrace NZ warts and all.

If you can live in Cyprus for 2 years you can live anywhere. Since the Euro came in this year prices have shot up everywhere. To say shopping is poor is a huge understatement.

Where used to moving and all its highs & lows been moving every 3 years for all our married life so we don't envisage any major problems (fingers crosses )and are used to living away from our families.

Everyone's reasons for leaving are different i suppose, and i'm just nosy

Your all right, I let peoples moans on here go over my head. We would never do anything if we listened to the all.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mum-dad-3-little people
Hi everyone
Back on my log in now. Was using OH Team-Reynolds log on as mine crashed :curse:

I was just being nosy really about why people are leaving NZ. No ones going to change my mind about coming in Feb. We can wait to arrive, were coming for a better life for kids and there future, and will embrace NZ warts and all.

If you can live in Cyprus for 2 years you can live anywhere. Since the Euro came in this year prices have shot up everywhere. To say shopping is poor is a huge understatement.

Where used to moving and all its eighs & lows been moving every 3 years for all our married life so we don't envisage any major problems (fingers crosses )and are used to living away from our families.

Your all right, I let peoples moans on here go over my head. We would never do anything if we listened to theI all.
I'm sure you are right, it is easier to settle in NZ if you come here having already been expatriated somewhere else. The NZ supermarkets will probably look like an improvement to you as they did to me in Wellington after my last EU country - at least New World (the biggest one) is good with quality fresh fruit and vegetables which are much larger (the fruit that is) than in Europe.

Assuming your budget adds up (very important) the isolation will be the major factor but as you say you are used to being apart but the difference here is the cost and time taken to visit, should you decide to do so. Even if money is no object, few people want to use all their annual leave every year to return to UK..from Cyprus a few days can work....from here a few days is not practically or economically viable...it's a biggie if you emigrate permanently I would say....unless you don't have close relatives left in Europe then its not a problem at all.
Very best of luck with your move.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Well done stick to your guns and I am happy for you that you have found somewhere to call home. Don`t listen to all the moans about NZ I imagine its a great place for you to live. Whereabouts do you live?

We live in Palmerston North. Its one of NZ's 'joke' places to live..like who would even VISIT palmy let alone live there!! But we are quite content. Would have liked the beach at the bottom of the road but then I would not have been able to afford the house I live in had it been beach side. There is not the culture or diversity of a larger more attractive town but we wanted small, less people, less traffic, cheaper homes..etc, etc. Palmy has in every way and many more ticked all our boxes when you consider we had limited funds for a big house and needed somewhere with a big hospital for Kate to work.

I guess in the perfect world I would live somewhere in NZ like Queenstown or Nelson. But most of us have to compromise and Palmy is that compromise and a rathet grand one too. Which is nice.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=crap coffee;6771778]I am happy for you.

It's always good to read your life stories ....... ........though you repeat them over and over again! -

BUT...in the main I am replying to either different posters or new threads.

Glad it inspires you!!
Old Sep 12th 2008, 8:37 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Genesis;6775184]
Originally Posted by crap coffee
I am happy for you.

BUT...in the main I am replying to either different posters or new threads.

Glad it inspires you!!
People repeat their grieviences or praises for something over and over again on forums, becuase that is what they are for.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mum-dad-3-little people
Hi everyone

Where used to moving and all its highs & lows been moving every 3 years for all our married life so we don't envisage any major problems (fingers crosses )and are used to living away from our families.

Your all right, I let peoples moans on here go over my head. We would never do anything if we listened to the all.
I would say that is pretty wise. You are only seeing a very small number of ex pats in here.

Life is what you make I say.

The biggest mistake anyone can make is expect NZ to be a small version of the UK.

I am a Kiwi (OH is from UK). We sold up and moved over to be near his family for a few years and both had to work darn hard when we came back to restablish ourselves here in NZ.

But it was all worth it, we are sitting pretty now !
Old Sep 12th 2008, 9:45 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say in answer to your question 'f e c k all' But, from what I've seen since I arrived three years ago - it all depends on you. It'll be like nothing you've experienced or expected. It'll throw you about like a bit of driftwood on a rough sea (haha - God, I'm over meself) but seriously - it's different. Listen to talkback radio - www.newstalkzb.co.nz or http://www.radioonline.co.nz/ - they will give you an idea of what it's like here - the earlier you listen the better cos they get a bit mad around 3am

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.