Default Re: What's with the "wh"?

Originally Posted by sr71
Nothing wrong with swearing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_osQvkeNRM
Old Apr 11th 2012, 10:24 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Justcol
You two are so set on being PC you cant even see that the people you think you are championing are laughing at you.
I only showed my friend your comments she was the one pissing her sides at your silly attitudes.
The great thing about kiwis be they white or Maori is they call a spade a spade,they dont suck up and they dont kiss ass,
what a shame a lot of the migrants who arrive think this is wrong and try to bring all the bullshit PC crap we all tried to leave
behind when we left the uk with them.
The ridiculous PC attitude of the meek who are to afraid to say what they really think (unlike most kiwis) will ruin this country
I have plenty of Maori friends, some university educated professionals, some kids and young people from less advantaged backgrounds
it makes no difference to me, a friend is a friend
they don't give a crap that I'm not interested in their heritage or culture and I wouldn't insult them by pretending I am

Bellasmum, you have a habit of popping up in threads and chipping in with nothing more than what you think are smart arse
comments, make a contribution love, anything would be better than snipping from the sidelines for once
Well said
Old Apr 11th 2012, 10:35 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Apr 11th 2012, 11:05 pm
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by P18PPS
friends of ours have 2 children, their great-great grandmother was maori. The kids are therefore 1/32 maori and qualify for free university education. The kids currently enjoy private education thanks to generous scottish granny. Question - should these children get free university education based on their maori lineage??
If that is the current situation, then why not? The Question should be, should they accept it if they have the means to go without it.

Govenments make rules based on the majority of situations, individuals also have a responsibility to decide what is the right thing to do.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 11:12 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

there is whenever I overhear them talk !! what the f**k ... etc etc
That's an English word

Originally Posted by theghostofdustybin
'They get this', 'we dont get that' and 'i heard the other day' arguments are generalised at best and just plain damaging at worst.
Blimey, I couldn't agree more: "I've asked a few Maori's at dinner" v "I've got one RIGHT HERE laughing at you" ... WTF is that all about?!

Originally Posted by lardyl
you could add "maleness" - yes being a male in most schools (particularly in primary and ECE) means that you have to think in a manner that you are not wired to do in order to acheive what girls do and this is borne out by how many countries approach the education of boys and by most modern research in the area - MrsL works for MoE in the field of developmental disorders and this issue winds her up no end.... schools operate in a manner designed for girls to acheive, which must by the "positive discrimination" argument be unfair.

So contrary to what Ms McIntosh is saying in her 1988 study, then perhaps we should be giving more places in University to boys who are disadvantaged by the eduction system in NZ??
Ahem, but looking around me at the representation of males in top end professions, I'm thinking the boys are doing all right, Lardyl

Positive discrimination is such a thorny issue: one the one hand I do think it's important that our public services represent our societies for both reasons of social justice and practical reasons of social cohesion, BUT I'm not comfortable with positive discrimination for all the reasons above. The thinking is it's a temporary measure until there's better representation of the group, not a permanent solution. Tricky though because it creates a whole new wave of divisions.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 11:38 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

If that is the current situation, then why not? The Question should be, should they accept it if they have the means to go without it.

Govenments make rules based on the majority of situations, individuals also have a responsibility to decide what is the right thing to do.

so what's the "right" thing to do?!
Old Apr 12th 2012, 12:16 am
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

so what's the "right" thing to do?!
I'm not in their position and unlike many people have no urge to judge people on how they live their lives, even if they have different principles to me.

Simplistically though if i had kids and felt that i could afford to educate them without hardship then that is what I would do.

In the same way I might have been entitled to claim for glasses an old tv etc after an earthquake but chose not to.

All i'm saying is that people need to take responsibility for their own actions and what directly affects them, other than look for someone to blame for percived unfairness.

I dont think it is fair that people get an allowance for having children and people who choose not to get nothing. I am also bright enough to see that there are reasons for this and dont feel the need to have a paddy about it.

Peace, I'm out on this one.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Another attempt to provide a blance to the discussion

http://www2.careers.govt.nz/educatio...aori-students/

BTW when you said Reo did you mean Te Reo

Ray or Debbie, "Te" is "the" in English so both Te Reo and Reo are correct.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 6:05 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not in their position and unlike many people have no urge to judge people on how they live their lives, even if they have different principles to me.

Simplistically though if i had kids and felt that i could afford to educate them without hardship then that is what I would do.

In the same way I might have been entitled to claim for glasses an old tv etc after an earthquake but chose not to.

All i'm saying is that people need to take responsibility for their own actions and what directly affects them, other than look for someone to blame for percived unfairness.

I dont think it is fair that people get an allowance for having children and people who choose not to get nothing. I am also bright enough to see that there are reasons for this and dont feel the need to have a paddy about it.

Peace, I'm out on this one.

so you haven't even answered the question then....
Old Apr 12th 2012, 6:14 am
grumpy bugger

so you haven't even answered the question then....
Apparently not...
Old Apr 12th 2012, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

friends of ours have 2 children, their great-great grandmother was maori. The kids are therefore 1/32 maori and qualify for free university education. The kids currently enjoy private education thanks to generous scottish granny. Question - should these children get free university education based on their maori lineage??
What courses are they doing and would they be free to allcomers anyway?

Certain Maori studies are free to all. I studied Te Reo at Te Wanaga O Aotearoa and lots of their course are free to anyone. I did not pay one cent and was provided with all course materials, books, t-shirt, a coat, an alarm clock, pens paper and all manner of CDs, DVDs, a few free lunches, plus a long weekend away at a Marae with meals included. It was fantastic!

However, my only critcism is that whilst I enjoyed the benefits it is a complete and utter waste of taxpayers money; many people did sign up for this, got all the free stuff and were hardly ever seen again and indeed were molly-coddled / persuaded and reminded weekly to attend and basically spoonfed the answers to all the assessments so that the Wanaga could continue to claim the funding.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
What courses are they doing and would they be free to allcomers anyway?

Certain Maori studies are free to all. I studied Te Reo at Te Wanaga O Aotearoa and lots of their course are free to anyone. I did not pay one cent and was provided with all course materials, books, t-shirt, a coat, an alarm clock, pens paper and all manner of CDs, DVDs, a few free lunches, plus a long weekend away at a Marae with meals included. It was fantastic!

However, my only critcism is that whilst I enjoyed the benefits it is a complete and utter waste of taxpayers money; many people did sign up for this, got all the free stuff and were hardly ever seen again and indeed were molly-coddled / persuaded and reminded weekly to attend and basically spoonfed the answers to all the assessments so that the Wanaga could continue to claim the funding.
so you are maori then???

otherwise why on earth are "we" paying for 31/32s to go and "learn" maori??

do they teach you how to get a free university degree when you get "failed" all the way through your NCEAs?
Old Apr 12th 2012, 7:45 am

wananga - hamilton??? is that the same university campus that was purpose built some 10 years ago and has remained empty (Huntly)??

maybe not - Ngaruwahia perhaps.... (spelling? who cares) - waste of space - literally though. go and learn what a koha is ...
Old Apr 12th 2012, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

so you are maori then???

otherwise why on earth are "we" paying for 31/32s to go and "learn" maori??

do they teach you how to get a free university degree when you get "failed" all the way through your NCEAs?
How long have you been paying tax in NZ

And why do you think you should determine who learns Reo here.

It is one of three official languages in NZ and should be available to anyone who wants to learn it.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 8:05 am

oooohhh don't start me....

i have no problem with people getting off their arse and learning something, however if you want to learn something why should you not pay for the education that you are receiving?

would you expect to getting cooking lessons for free?? or are you a michelin star chef already?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.