Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Whats Welly Weather like in February Mr Wolf?

Whats Welly Weather like in February Mr Wolf?

Old Jan 20th 2007, 1:03 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Whats Welly Weather like in February Mr Wolf?

Could someone give me an idea of what the weather is like around Feb time in Wellington to give me an idea of what to pack - eg predominantly shirts and shorts with some warm gear?

I was thinking trousers and cool tops - with a few warm or shorter items.

Also - hints on Interview clothing for an IT professional type job (managerial). Is it smart suit atire, or smart caz?

thank yoU!
Old Jan 20th 2007, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats Welly Weather like in February Mr Wolf?

I would go with predominantly clothes for every eventuality , layers are good and versatility is key if you want to travel light. Shirts not necessarily required unless you are going for interviews. Lightweight trousers, shorts and t-shirts probably best option as it should be quite warm. Winter white skin doesn't fare to well if the sun does decide to show its face, so if you are planning on being out and about alot, a hat, sunglasses and clothes that will cover you from the sun will be essential.

You don't ever need to dress up in NZ, even for some supposedly formal settings, nice restaurants and such like, a pair of casual trousers and a clean top will see you right. A cardigan, sweatshirt or something similar to put on during chillier evenings outside will be required and don't forget to pack an umbrella.

For interviews short sleeved shirt and decent pair of trousers should be all that is required - suits are not essential and rarely worn. You might consider a tie, most do for interviews and formal meeting and then take it off straight away after. It's not unusual for the Kiwi man to be seen sporting his tie in his top shirt pocket ready to be swung into action should the need arise.

No matter what, you will probably end up walking your feet off, so good comfortable shoes would be my highest recommendation.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Jan 20th 2007 at 8:58 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 6:04 am
Banned

Dirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dreamfish
predominantly shirts and shorts with some warm gear?
Old Jan 21st 2007, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Dirk1971
cheers both - i have purchased a fold-up-into-itself-type-kagool-thing-in-fetching-navy-blue should it rain!

Just look for the pom in bush hat, with burned arms nose and neck wearing said kagool - thats me
(the one bent double pointing at me wetting his pants - thats my partner - but at least i will be dry.)
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:48 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
You don't ever need to dress up in NZ, even for some supposedly formal settings, nice restaurants and such like
NOT a good thing, IMHO
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by mazi
NOT a good thing, IMHO
have to agree - i always dress up for interviews and business meetings - i have been brought up its a sign of respect. think i might find that a hard habit to crack.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 6:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dreamfish
have to agree - i always dress up for interviews and business meetings - i have been brought up its a sign of respect. think i might find that a hard habit to crack.
Indeed. I was continually taken the p out of in NZ for daring to wear decent clothes. Actually, not taken the p out of - more ridiculed and told I wasn't being Kiwi enough. I did take to wearing sh** for a while to try to fit in but eventually got so depressed by my unkempt and shoddy appearance that I went to a BBQ (funny that) in a farmer's field (funny that) wearing black velvet trousers and 4 inch-high boots! I made me laugh anyway.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Yeah but she's going to be in a city, not Hamilton. Here in Auckland, people do dress up for work, if by 'dress up' you mean smart? I cant see it being any different in Welly.
And it also depends on what you do normally, if when you go for an interview in uk you would wear a smart skirt or trouser suit, then do the same here.

Weather will be lovely but you are guaranteed to wear the sexy kagool at least once.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 7:38 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jude J
Yeah but she's going to be in a city, not Hamilton. Here in Auckland, people do dress up for work, if by 'dress up' you mean smart? I cant see it being any different in Welly.
And it also depends on what you do normally, if when you go for an interview in uk you would wear a smart skirt or trouser suit, then do the same here.

Weather will be lovely but you are guaranteed to wear the sexy kagool at least once.
Who are you replying to? Don't want to answer if it's not me!
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Who are you replying to? Don't want to answer if it's not me!
I was replying to dreamfish...I think that people do dress up here, especially for interviews! Not so much for a bbq in a field though
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 8:00 pm
Account Closed

I was replying to dreamfish...I think that people do dress up here, especially for interviews! Not so much for a bbq in a field though
no, I wouldn't necessarily recommend dressing up for a BBQ in a field, damn silly thing to do really - I was scraping cow dung off my boots for a week - but I was so depressed by that stage that I didn't know what I was doing.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

no, I wouldn't necessarily recommend dressing up for a BBQ in a field, damn silly thing to do really - I was scraping cow dung off my boots for a week - but I was so depressed by that stage that I didn't know what I was doing.
Very funny though, what kind of comments did you get?
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 8:23 pm
Account Closed

Very funny though, what kind of comments did you get?
Bizarrely, absolutely NONE. I think I shocked them into silence.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bizarrely, absolutely NONE. I think I shocked them into silence.
I can imagine!
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 8:35 pm
Account Closed

I went to a wedding there once at which Boyfriend was Best Man and the cousin of the groom turned up in a Holden t-shirt, those dreadful shorts a lot of Kiwis like to wear and trainers. He was asked about his attire by a couple of people and he replied, "This is how I always dress, I'm not getting dressed up for no-one [sic]". It's a wedding!!! That's the point, you don't dress how you always dress! Surely even those who love NZ and its casualness must agree that that is just damned RUDE.