Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What's Wairoa really like?

What's Wairoa really like?

Old May 27th 2009, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's Wairoa really like?

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Actually, I'm really insulted by this comment.

Although I think anyone who makes a comment like that is FAR less intelligent than I
Hear Hear

Browner writes...silly snotty negative comments...about everything. It is so obvious he despises NZ and is unhappy.

Take no notice chuck!
x
Old May 27th 2009, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Numptyhead
You pay £200k ($515,531.64)......for a terraced house in Cornwall.....with no driveway and a yard for a garden. Where the water rates(the highest in the country) are over £1k a year...thats being conservative. Council tax another £1k a year...again I'm underestimating. Lowest wages in the country.....Err probably on a par with NZ...!

Yeah Cornwall is fab The cost of living in the UK is truly horrendous. I am working 70+ hours a week to make the move financially viable for us

We love Cornwall. My OH has 600 years of Cornish ancestry, but locals cannot afford to live here...well unless you are on Benefits...then it all gets paid for you.....Oh don't start me on that one!

The rest of the UK is fairly crap...Scotland is beautiful and if things don't work with the visa...its the Isle of Bute for us. But so bloody cold...hence NZ!

Maria
Well, I never said it was cheap!

The weather in Hastings would be pretty decent for you Id admit that.

If you come to Hawkes Bay you will be in good company for benefit scroungers, thats a NZ speciality.

Personally, I think the NZ rural dream is quite hard to achieve. Because unless you want to literally sit and stare at your horse and sheep for 365/365 , you need to be close to Auckland, Wellington or Christchurch for any entertainment that would qualify as such in the UK.
Travel for more than an hour from those places and you are really quite remote from anything for best part.

Someone will no doubt shout me down for saying this, but rural England is inhabited by the rich with their nice old houses and BMWs, but rural NZ is inhabited by the poor with their sheds, weed and goatees.
Old May 27th 2009, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

You rude man

You've selectively quoted me when actually my comments about the antique shop were about having had a conversation with the owner and nothing to do with the merit of the shop- I made NO claims about the shop being an asset.

That's really shoddy quoting and crappy posting imo, shame on you

Oh for God sake.
Im sure the shop and its owner are very interesting, but is this relevant to the point under discussion?
Old May 27th 2009, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Actually, I'm really insulted by this comment.

Although I think anyone who makes a comment like that is FAR less intelligent than I
How can you be insulted by someone elses personal opinion?
I think your arrogant comment that followed is far more insulting, but frankly my dear, I dont give a damn
Old May 27th 2009, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Numptyhead
Hear Hear

Browner writes...silly snotty negative comments...about everything. It is so obvious he despises NZ and is unhappy.

Take no notice chuck!

x
I tell you one thing, Id hate NZ a lot more if I moved from Wellington to Hastings or Wairoa , thats for sure
Old May 27th 2009, 11:36 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_
Oh for God sake.
Im sure the shop and its owner are very interesting, but is this relevant to the point under discussion?
Well, lets see- the OP was asking about rural life in NZ and I said:

<snip> The other consideration is that rural NZ communities aren't chocolate box pretty like Cornish ones. In fact they can look shabby and run down and lifeless from the outside, but that is often just an appearance. If you go to Waipawa (next door to Waipukarua) you'll find a second hand/antiques shop run by an expat husband and wife. He came out to NZ and bought the business and she followed after having never seen the area. Her first drive through the area had her in tears, but now she loves it. You'll meet tales like that again and again.
Which, granted, may have been a long winded way of saying that it takes a while to look beyond the shabbiness of rural NZ, but was still an attempt to make a helpful post to the OP.

Your selective quoting of me to try and make me look foolish was not at all helpful to the discussion, but that didn't stop you. Also, the OP seems to have found my comments about the area where I actually lived (rather than just passed through) quite helpful.

I'm wondering which of your comments you feel have actually been helpful to the thread? I'm also looking forward to displays of your above-Hastings/Waipuk intellect.
Old May 27th 2009, 11:37 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I think your arrogant comment that followed is far more insulting, but frankly my dear, I dont give a damn

It was a pun on your comment ...
Old May 27th 2009, 11:42 am
---

It wasn't your OPINION that I found insulting (nice attempt at deflection there though), it was that you claimed to be too intelligent to live in or near Hastings and Waipuk AFTER I'd said I lived near both. You seem to have a really poor/selective memory Browner-

I said:

Browner has never lived in or near Hastings or Waipukarua I would guess
You said:

No I havent , Im far too intelligent to do that.
I know Hastings well though.
That's not an opinion- that's an attempt to demean someone else.
Old May 27th 2009, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I never said it was cheap!

The weather in Hastings would be pretty decent for you Id admit that.

If you come to Hawkes Bay you will be in good company for benefit scroungers, thats a NZ speciality.

Personally, I think the NZ rural dream is quite hard to achieve. Because unless you want to literally sit and stare at your horse and sheep for 365/365 , you need to be close to Auckland, Wellington or Christchurch for any entertainment that would qualify as such in the UK.
Travel for more than an hour from those places and you are really quite remote from anything for best part.

Someone will no doubt shout me down for saying this, but rural England is inhabited by the rich with their nice old houses and BMWs, but rural NZ is inhabited by the poor with their sheds, weed and goatees.

It really is everyone to their own. I am so looking forward to seeing Wellington. To sitting in a coffee house and taking it all in...but I wouldn't want to live there

Its such a shame I will have to work over there as to sit and stare at the landscape from my decking or window everyday...sounds wonderful to me. I have a OH and DD that make me laugh everyday...honestly we really do want that. I am an A&E Nurse and will be doing that over there...believe me...I want peace and quiet.

Yes, I have noticed how shabby things seem to look in rural NZ, but as you say they are relatively poor. Quality of life is way more important than aesthetics.

We are going to make our shed really nice. I don't think we will bother with the weed but I will have to watch for OH shaving his beard into a goatee
Old May 27th 2009, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

I tell you one thing, Id hate NZ a lot more if I moved from Wellington to Hastings or Wairoa , thats for sure
But so would most New Zealanders too.
Old May 27th 2009, 3:12 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if Wairoa is a still a hole and hastings run down, nothing much has changed then. Havelock North has always been hoity-toity, too.

Are you SURE you wouldn't consider Napier? It's lovely. That's all I'm saying. And you're right near the sea. Lovely town. A bit more going on.

If you're looking for warmth I'd also consider Nelson. Yes it's in the South Island. But it has it's own climate that is not as cold as other parts of the South, and is a lot warmer than say, Wellington. Good schools (I hear) too.
Old May 27th 2009, 7:14 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

rural NZ is inhabited by the poor with their sheds, weed and goatees.
that'll be me then except for the goatee!
Old May 27th 2009, 9:26 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Numptyhead - PM Sue in admin and she can sort out your username change.

My two eldest went to Truro School! Fantastic place and they were really sad to go. However, we have found Tauranga Girls College here to be on a par with Truro and it's not private!

I agree with Kiwilass that you might want to consider Napier and was going to suggest it myself. Great climate. Beaches. Shops. But 10 minutes and you're rural.

Can everybody else play nicely please. The OP is trying to gauge some useful information not get caught up in a "he said, she said" game!
Old May 27th 2009, 9:28 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

and the weed.

I like numptyhead!
Old May 27th 2009, 9:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
and the weed.

I like numptyhead!
I was about to comment on that Laura

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.