Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What's Wairoa really like?

What's Wairoa really like?

Old May 26th 2009, 10:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's Wairoa really like?

Originally Posted by Numptyhead
LOL...nah...too near Auckland and all that hectic stuff....Hey, I just had to look up where that is
It was just a thought . Have to say though, I don't find it at all hectic this far north of Auckland. But horses for courses & all that. Good luck
Old May 26th 2009, 11:19 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Numptyhead
LOL.....It sounds so lovely but the temperature drops lower the further South you go and I want it warm! I think we will save the South Island for holidays.

Hey, Wairoa is no longer being considered, but Hastings and the Central Hawkes Bay Area is definately on the cards. Thanks for the input folks x
The Top of the South is not that cold. No snow on the ground in winter and less rain than many places.
Old May 26th 2009, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
cinemas that have seats akin to first class airflight that you can take glasses of local wine into (tick- Havelock Gold). Against this you have some very poor families living pretty much hand to mouth.
That's more a comment on the sad state of British cinemas than anything else with their sticky floors, crap screens and dodgy sound systems. Pretty much every multiplex I've been to in Aus and NZ (and Asia) have gold class these days, and even the normal seats are pretty comfortable.
Old May 27th 2009, 1:07 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
That's more a comment on the sad state of British cinemas than anything else with their sticky floors, crap screens and dodgy sound systems. Pretty much every multiplex I've been to in Aus and NZ (and Asia) have gold class these days, and even the normal seats are pretty comfortable.
It's not gold class seats but Gold Class cinema- so posh you're not even allowed popcorn!

http://hn.cinemagold.co.nz/

I've been to quite a few cinemas all over NZ, NSW, WA and Queensland and not been to anything quite like it
Old May 27th 2009, 4:22 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

You're right to be discounting Wairoa-it really has a bad reputation and BB was being very careful with her words.

Hastings is alright, Havelock North is very nice, if a bit pretentious.

My list of top towns in NZ (if you're remotely interested) would be Kerikeri, Cambridge, Havelock North, Richmond, Rangiora, Geraldine and Oamaru. Those are towns with a population in the 5-15,000 range. Others such as Taupo and Queesntown are OK too, but a bit touristy.
Old May 27th 2009, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not gold class seats but Gold Class cinema- so posh you're not even allowed popcorn!

http://hn.cinemagold.co.nz/

I've been to quite a few cinemas all over NZ, NSW, WA and Queensland and not been to anything quite like it
Sounds fairly common

http://villagecinemas.com.au/Cinemas/Gold-Class.htm

Loads of them, although the one in NZ seems a lot cheaper, I'm off to the Crown one in Melbourne next Thursday and it's $37 (+$5 booking fee :curse: )
Old May 27th 2009, 5:37 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
My list of top towns in NZ (if you're remotely interested) would be Kerikeri, Cambridge, Havelock North, Richmond, Rangiora, Geraldine and Oamaru. Those are towns with a population in the 5-15,000 range. Others such as Taupo and Queesntown are OK too, but a bit touristy.
I've lived in Havelock North and am (hopefully) moving to Cambridge The only other one I know of is Rangiora- off to google the others now
Old May 27th 2009, 5:42 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

I don't actually live in Kerikeri but it's where my DH works and I really love it.
For a small town it's amazingly well supplied with stuff.
But I do think how settled you feel has a lot to do with the friends you make - this has definitely been the case for us.
Old May 27th 2009, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Browner has never lived in or near Hastings or Waipukarua I would guess.
No I havent , Im far too intelligent to do that.
I know Hastings well though.

My brother lives in Cornwall and on scale of 1 to 100 Cornwall is 85, Hastings 25 , Waipukerau 15 and Wairoa 2.
Old May 27th 2009, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

The other consideration is that rural NZ communities aren't chocolate box pretty like Cornish ones. In fact they can look shabby and run down and lifeless from the outside, but that is often just an appearance. If you go to Waipawa (next door to Waipukarua) you'll find a second hand/antiques shop run by an expat husband and wife.
Couldnt argue with that, except that most of them are nothing BUT shabby run down and lifeless.

And , wow, a second hand antique shop, thats a reason to emigrate, none of those in Cornwall are there?
Old May 27th 2009, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_

My brother lives in Cornwall and on scale of 1 to 100 Cornwall is 85, Hastings 25 , Waipukerau 15 and Wairoa 2.

You pay £200k ($515,531.64)......for a terraced house in Cornwall.....with no driveway and a yard for a garden. Where the water rates(the highest in the country) are over £1k a year...thats being conservative. Council tax another £1k a year...again I'm underestimating. Lowest wages in the country.....Err probably on a par with NZ...!

Yeah Cornwall is fab The cost of living in the UK is truly horrendous. I am working 70+ hours a week to make the move financially viable for us

We love Cornwall. My OH has 600 years of Cornish ancestry, but locals cannot afford to live here...well unless you are on Benefits...then it all gets paid for you.....Oh don't start me on that one!

The rest of the UK is fairly crap...Scotland is beautiful and if things don't work with the visa...its the Isle of Bute for us. But so bloody cold...hence NZ!

Maria
Old May 27th 2009, 9:54 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved from Cornwall to Tauranga just over 2 years ago and love it here! And the weather is amazing.

Our 2 eldest were at private school in Cornwall - where do yours go?

The schools are not really on a par IMHO but there is just so much more for the kids here and they seem happy.
Old May 27th 2009, 10:49 am
---

Couldnt argue with that, except that most of them are nothing BUT shabby run down and lifeless.

And , wow, a second hand antique shop, thats a reason to emigrate, none of those in Cornwall are there?
You rude man

You've selectively quoted me when actually my comments about the antique shop were about having had a conversation with the owner and nothing to do with the merit of the shop- I made NO claims about the shop being an asset.

That's really shoddy quoting and crappy posting imo, shame on you
Old May 27th 2009, 10:51 am
---

Actually, I'm really insulted by this comment.

Although I think anyone who makes a comment like that is FAR less intelligent than I
Old May 27th 2009, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
We moved from Cornwall to Tauranga just over 2 years ago and love it here! And the weather is amazing.

Our 2 eldest were at private school in Cornwall - where do yours go?

The schools are not really on a par IMHO but there is just so much more for the kids here and they seem happy.
Hi Loolah,

Its lovely to hear that you love it there. One day eh?

DD goes to Truro School. There is only that or Truro High (the girls school) in Cornwall. All the rest are prep schools.

I know we will make it work. Where we settle on first arrival may not be the bees knees but we will find our little place once we've had a mooch around.

As for DD. She is an intelligent girl.....well school say she is....not a lot of evidence of it around the house... More than anything I want her to have a childhood....at least what's left of it.
I think in truth it will be a big adjustment for her. She's already into make-up...clothes...straightens hair every day...just way too obssessed with how she looks. I was climbing trees and generally messing about with friends at her age. If she could have a fraction of that, it will be worth all the form filling and nerves to get there. I am also aware that the minute she finishes Uni, she will off to Oz or the USA...like a shot....and I wouldn't blame her in the least...in fact I'll help her pack......can you tell its half term and she is now standing on my last nerve

I'll shut up now...as I am aware I am rambling.....
Maria

PS....Loolah, is there anyway I can change my login name....I absolutely hate it. I think I may have been drunk or something when I choose it years ago...it seemed so funny at the time........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.