Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What's th weather like?

What's th weather like?

Old Aug 7th 2006, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gobshite...............again!

Originally Posted by SarahB
Was just discussing with a friend earlier how different this winter is to last years. Its been much colder..... we have a coffee group and even in mid winter last year we were able to sit outside in a t shirt whilst the kids ran around barefoot round the gardens.... it was gorgeous and quite warm. We've had the odd nice day here havnt we this winter but not as many as last year. Knowing that the northern hemisphere is having a particularly hot summer and we have a cold winter do you think this is related in any way?

Roll on the lovely warm spring days again. So looking forward to them
Sarah how does the weather vary between places in NZ. Is Auckland weather similar to Tauranga, is Welly colder, wetter, windier? I'm looking for warm
Old Aug 7th 2006, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helinuk
Sarah how does the weather vary between places in NZ. Is Auckland weather similar to Tauranga, is Welly colder, wetter, windier? I'm looking for warm
I dont really know sorry. Ive not managed to go far since being here. But I do watch the weather forecast and top of NI always seems to be warm... Auckland is normally wet and warm. SI looks like it gets more extremes of weather.... good hot summers but much colder winters.

We keep saying that when we retire we're off to the top of NI or to the BOI... looks gorgeous up there. We went to BOP and it was lovely too... warm breeze coming in over the sea and the beaches are to die for!

I was told that Auckland weather can be very humid and I know Ive only been here a year but last year the winter was gorgeous and warm... the spring was wet and warm.... I only remember about 3 or 4 humid days in the summer... and the temperature here is great in the summer.... it doesnt get too hot.

I wouldnt want to go back to the UK or live anywhere cold as I have metal in my leg and it hurts too much if it gets cold in it.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

I dont really know sorry. Ive not managed to go far since being here. But I do watch the weather forecast and top of NI always seems to be warm... Auckland is normally wet and warm. SI looks like it gets more extremes of weather.... good hot summers but much colder winters.

We keep saying that when we retire we're off to the top of NI or to the BOI... looks gorgeous up there. We went to BOP and it was lovely too... warm breeze coming in over the sea and the beaches are to die for!

I was told that Auckland weather can be very humid and I know Ive only been here a year but last year the winter was gorgeous and warm... the spring was wet and warm.... I only remember about 3 or 4 humid days in the summer... and the temperature here is great in the summer.... it doesnt get too hot.

I wouldnt want to go back to the UK or live anywhere cold as I have metal in my leg and it hurts too much if it gets cold in it.
Thanks Sarah-
my legs get very jumpy in rainy damp weather. I also suffered a lot of allergic rhinitus in Singapore caused by high humidity. I feel the cold. It drives hubby nuts that I have the heating on high, he thinks its like a sauna in our house(in winter).
Old Aug 7th 2006, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

OK Wonder Woman. Explain the metal in the leg please. I know you want us to ask. If it's too painful for you to explain-sit down,then do it!!
Old Aug 7th 2006, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danny.f
OK Wonder Woman. Explain the metal in the leg please. I know you want us to ask. If it's too painful for you to explain-sit down,then do it!!
Im sure Ive said before on here.... dont bother me to tell you. I'm a horse-rider.... guess what I did!? I didnt stay on its back!! Pride goes before a fall.... I was doing a photo shoot for a horse magazine in UK to go with an article about my horse and Id polished my new saddle for the picture!!! He stopped suddenly and I hit the ground at a funny angle and totally smashed my left leg up at the ankle joint. I had 5 operations to reconstruct it.....had a fantastic surgeon.... I used to get loads of pain in the winter in UK but here I dont really get any. I was told the joint wouldnt last me til I die but I reckon here it just might.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Talking What's the weather like?

This is the sunrise over Mairangi Bay yesterday...............could not do today as it was covered by cloud!
Attached Thumbnails What's th weather like?-dscf0543.jpg  
Old Aug 24th 2006, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

StevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud of
Default Re: What's the weather like?

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
This is the sunrise over Mairangi Bay yesterday...............could not do today as it was covered by cloud!
I have GOT to get out there!!!
Old Aug 24th 2006, 10:47 pm
Actually just Adie

Jac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by StevieB
I have GOT to get out there!!!
I was thinking just the same
Old Aug 25th 2006, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

brackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud of
Default Re: What's th weather like?

getting very autumish here morning and evening, hope it says nice for us tonight, we are having our leaving party at the cricket club. cant wait to get to nz now, roll on 20th sept.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 9:13 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Was just discussing with a friend earlier how different this winter is to last years. Its been much colder..... we have a coffee group and even in mid winter last year we were able to sit outside in a t shirt whilst the kids ran around barefoot round the gardens.... it was gorgeous and quite warm. We've had the odd nice day here havnt we this winter but not as many as last year. Knowing that the northern hemisphere is having a particularly hot summer and we have a cold winter do you think this is related in any way?

Roll on the lovely warm spring days again. So looking forward to them

this is my 3rd winter and the first one was crap, 2nd (last yr: excellent) and this year, I'm dreaming of summer! Summer here's lovely. So maybe next winter will be kinder!
Old Aug 25th 2006, 9:22 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by helinuk
They have a fictional place here known as the 'winterless north'. I equate it to Devon/Cornwall when we were kids we'd go down there and there'd be palm trees and cos there were palm trees we'd say it was warmer there!

It is lovely in NZ in the summer. When it's all foggy and grotty you could be anywhere but the sun comes out and you somehow instantly forgive it for being such a 'b' and making you feel colder inside your home than out.

My OH and I came here via Oz and since he's been here he has never stopped wheezing. The doc says it's because there is so much mould, damp and pollen here. My friends returned to the UK because their dog was so allergic to teh pollen here too. I'm not trying to put you off honest; it's just that it is not tropical over here.

For instance, I'm near Hamilton and my OH commutes to Auckland to work most days. We have consistent thick frosts here (then can be sunny) adn in Auckland it's 3 deg overnight. The weather here's maritime and, like the UK, as it's such a small island(s) you get that variation. We also get thick fogs here in the Waikato area.

Go further down towards Taupo, colder again and on teh desert Road, snow going towards the ski fields. These are only about 2 hours away from us so, as you can see, it's a right mixed bag!

Old Aug 25th 2006, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mumomonty
They have a fictional place here known as the 'winterless north'. I equate it to Devon/Cornwall when we were kids we'd go down there and there'd be palm trees and cos there were palm trees we'd say it was warmer there!

It is lovely in NZ in the summer. When it's all foggy and grotty you could be anywhere but the sun comes out and you somehow instantly forgive it for being such a 'b' and making you feel colder inside your home than out.

My OH and I came here via Oz and since he's been here he has never stopped wheezing. The doc says it's because there is so much mould, damp and pollen here. My friends returned to the UK because their dog was so allergic to teh pollen here too. I'm not trying to put you off honest; it's just that it is not tropical over here.

For instance, I'm near Hamilton and my OH commutes to Auckland to work most days. We have consistent thick frosts here (then can be sunny) adn in Auckland it's 3 deg overnight. The weather here's maritime and, like the UK, as it's such a small island(s) you get that variation. We also get thick fogs here in the Waikato area.

Go further down towards Taupo, colder again and on teh desert Road, snow going towards the ski fields. These are only about 2 hours away from us so, as you can see, it's a right mixed bag!

Thank you - interesting reading this. I had trouble in Singapore with allergic rhinitus from the mould and humidity. Looks like I'll be back on the meds in NZ
Old Aug 25th 2006, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

spackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud of

Great photo Mr Nice Guy. Wish my photos came out like that.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of

Let's have some more photos please, from you lucky people in NZ...........go on give us something to look forward too!!