British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   What's th weather like? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/whats-th-weather-like-385324/)

nickcharliepark Jul 17th 2006 9:31 am

What's th weather like?

Hiya

Just wondered how the weather was at the moment.

Hoping to travel to Tauranga in next month or so ( providing dog gets better!) Trying to decide what to pack what to ship etc.

cheers

Nick

lapsed kiwi Jul 17th 2006 10:12 am

Re: What's th weather like?

Originally Posted by nickcharliepark
Hiya

Just wondered how the weather was at the moment.

Hoping to travel to Tauranga in next month or so ( providing dog gets better!) Trying to decide what to pack what to ship etc.

cheers

Nick

Fantastic - especially compared to mid Jan in the UK (I thought someone said NZ was comparable to North Wales / Scotland? :confused: ). 16-17C, sunny and calm in Auckland all weekend and today, same forecast tomorrow but may turn to rats for the weekend. Tauranga details here:
http://www.metservice.co.nz/default/...alias=tauranga

SarahB Jul 17th 2006 7:59 pm

Was gorgeous here in Auckland yesterday.... my washing all dried outside... and I actually got an hour to myself whilst littlun was asleep and I sat on the deck in the sun... it was 17 degrees but felt much hotter out of the breeze. Not bad for mid winter eh? :)

Jude J Jul 17th 2006 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by SarahB
Was gorgeous here in Auckland yesterday.... my washing all dried outside... and I actually got an hour to myself whilst littlun was asleep and I sat on the deck in the sun... it was 17 degrees but felt much hotter out of the breeze. Not bad for mid winter eh? :)

It was fantastic wasn't it?!
I was paddling in the sea with my 18 month old, well, she had her wellies on but my feet were bare!

Nice Guy Jul 17th 2006 10:39 pm

2 Attachment(s)
A bit overcast in Auckland's North Shore today, but the sun is trying it’s best to get through.

Picture is from one of my balconies looking over to Rangitoto island, you can just make it out among the cloud formation, temp at 10.30 am is 15C.

Jude J Jul 17th 2006 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
A bit overcast in Auckland's North Shore today, but the sun is trying it’s best to get through.

Picture is from one of my balconies looking over to Rangitoto island, you can just make it out among the cloud formation, temp at 10.30 am is 15C.

Oh... :( that used to be my view too, from Rothesay Bay. Just moved to our own house but couldn't afford one with a view! :(

SarahB Jul 18th 2006 1:04 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Jude J
It was fantastic wasn't it?!
I was paddling in the sea with my 18 month old, well, she had her wellies on but my feet were bare!

Snap!! We washed my car in the morning and then went down to the beach (Sunkist Bay) for an hour before lunch. Pity we picked high tide and there was only one little corner about 6ft wide left for him to play in the sand. He loved it and he paddled in the sea all the time... he was soaked... and filthy!! hehe. If we go down to either Shelly Bay or Sunkist during the week we normally have the whole beach to ourselves. I think its great that the littluns can play in the sand/sea even in winter. It used to be a whole day out if we wanted to see the sea back in the UK.. now I can walk there in 10 minutes.

I cant see Rangitoto today from deck... its disappeared under a huge cloud. I can just see part of it now... here have a look.

Jude J Jul 18th 2006 1:31 am

Snap!! We washed my car in the morning and then went down to the beach (Sunkist Bay) for an hour before lunch. Pity we picked high tide and there was only one little corner about 6ft wide left for him to play in the sand. He loved it and he paddled in the sea all the time... he was soaked... and filthy!! hehe. If we go down to either Shelly Bay or Sunkist during the week we normally have the whole beach to ourselves. I think its great that the littluns can play in the sand/sea even in winter. It used to be a whole day out if we wanted to see the sea back in the UK.. now I can walk there in 10 minutes.

I cant see Rangitoto today from deck... its disappeared under a huge cloud. I can just see part of it now... here have a look.

Lovely view too!

Yep, my baby loves it! She was covered in sand and got a bit wet but I cant keep her away! She calls the sea 'bath' :D

So, can someone tell me how to post a picture? Cheers!

kwprwn Jul 18th 2006 1:32 am

its onlythe british who would go to a beach in the middle of winter...so my hubbie says and hes a kiwi so he would say that :)

SarahB Jul 18th 2006 3:41 am

Originally Posted by Jude J
Lovely view too!

Yep, my baby loves it! She was covered in sand and got a bit wet but I cant keep her away! She calls the sea 'bath' :D

So, can someone tell me how to post a picture? Cheers!

We have almost 180 degrees of broken sea view here in the house that we rent. When we move to our own property next month we will have the tiniest glimpse of Rangitoto and the sea. My DS was scared of the sea when we got here but now hes brave and paddles right in.

To post a pic click on Manage Attachments. Click the top Browse box and then choose the picture you want to add (remember where you stored it). Click Upload, when thats finished click Close This Window and youll go back to this reply screen. Submit as usual... good luck

SarahB Jul 18th 2006 3:44 am

Originally Posted by kwprwn
its onlythe british who would go to a beach in the middle of winter...so my hubbie says and hes a kiwi so he would say that :)

LOL... so thats why I'm the only person there!! ...and heres me thinking that the kiwis are a tough bunch.

It was so lovely... I took the picnic blanket and sat in the sun whilst DS played... it felt quite warm in the sun.

kwprwn Jul 18th 2006 3:53 am

LOL... so thats why I'm the only person there!! ...and heres me thinking that the kiwis are a tough bunch.

It was so lovely... I took the picnic blanket and sat in the sun whilst DS played... it felt quite warm in the sun.

but on the other hand it is only the kiwis who eat ice cream in the middle of winter.....

so you arent the only daft person really

SarahB Jul 18th 2006 3:58 am

but on the other hand it is only the kiwis who eat ice cream in the middle of winter.....

so you arent the only daft person really

No no no.... :) we were eating ice creams on sunday whilst waiting in the chippy in Maraetai for our order! We all love Ice-pops too... my 2 year old son loves them and helps himself from the freezer, but at the moment we just cant buy any... there doesnt seem to be any for sale at the moment. Good job I dont have any pregnancy cravings for ice-pops or I'd be bu**ered!! :eek:

kwprwn Jul 18th 2006 4:02 am

No no no.... :) we were eating ice creams on sunday whilst waiting in the chippy in Maraetai for our order! We all love Ice-pops too... my 2 year old son loves them and helps himself from the freezer, but at the moment we just cant buy any... there doesnt seem to be any for sale at the moment. Good job I dont have any pregnancy cravings for ice-pops or I'd be bu**ered!! :eek:

you'd soon learn to make your own if you did have those sorts of cravings

so the kiwis arent the only idiots, but I bet you wouldnt eat them if it was cold wet and rainy here....they still do, I have seen them

but it felt like summer here at the weekend (well a british summery day)

I got here in march so am enduring another winter straight after a UK winter, not the best timing in the world really...I miss my central heating onthese cold mornings sometimes, but then the view of the auckland skyline is kind of better than the view I used to have

SarahB Jul 18th 2006 4:17 am

you'd soon learn to make your own if you did have those sorts of cravings

so the kiwis arent the only idiots, but I bet you wouldnt eat them if it was cold wet and rainy here....they still do, I have seen them

but it felt like summer here at the weekend (well a british summery day)

I got here in march so am enduring another winter straight after a UK winter, not the best timing in the world really...I miss my central heating onthese cold mornings sometimes, but then the view of the auckland skyline is kind of better than the view I used to have

Yeah good idea... I could make some too! Nah, youre right, when its cold here I wouldnt want to eat ice cream.

We came here last June so came from British springtime into NZ winter.... but last winter seemed pretty mild compared to this one. Our rental house is a beautiful house but boy its a cold place! I dont know how I'd handle UK central heating now though... I suppose I'm kinda getting used to it here after a year. The views from this house are great.... I love watching the weather come in over the sea.... thats why we cant afford to buy it... I reckon theyre asking $100k just for the view on top of the house price.