Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

what's it really like living in Auckland?

what's it really like living in Auckland?

Old Jan 31st 2009, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: what's it really like living in Auckland?

[QUOTE=Lorrielou;7232960]We are in the same position. We got our permanent residency visa earlier this month and have booked flights to validate. However, I'm a bit concerned about Oz and wondering if it has the offer what we wanted when we started out. It seems to me that it is becoming more like the UK and the differences are starting to blur. I've noticed the crime rates rising steadily in Melbourne in areas that were 'safeish' when we first started looking 2 years ago. There are regular posts of Ozzies getting less friendly, are more unhappy about immigrants and 'pulling up the bridges', the economy isn' fareing too well (although NZ isn't too different, but at least properties are cheaper!), education doesn't appear too brilliant (don't know about NZ), bush fires and 45 degrees heat (in Melboure, which is where we are looking at), rise in graffiti and vandalism.

I've posted a seperate thread recently which has had one good response (thanks for that) although more would of course be welcome. I must admit that the thought of starting the whole process again (visas, research on areas etc) is hugely daunting. But then, so is the thought of getting over to somewhere and not staying.

Nightmare, isn't it? Hopefully we can find out a bit more between us as I don't have a clue where to start! I'll keep an eye on your post too.
Regards

Lorraine[/QUOT

I think you should go in with your eyes open,every country has there problems...If you have all the info, good and bad before you go you are more prepared...but please don,t judge somewhere on someone else's experience.one mans meat is another mans poison...an all that.some posters on here Auckland isn't for them..and thats fine...Us we love it and wouldn't want to be anywhere else...:.and certainly don't judge it by UK standards...remember you are leaving the UK for a reason.....Go and judge it for yourself,.thumbsup...but good luck with your choices...Jacky
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

eddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to all

Don't worry crime on NZ is statistically as bad in NZ as it is in the UK

Oh and the NZ infant mortality rate is way worse in NZ..
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by eddie_nz
Don't worry crime on NZ is statistically as bad in NZ as it is in the UK

yep statistically it might well be,havn't looked at any figures,but given the population here is small it feels a lot safer..IMHO anyway...
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 6:55 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie_nz
Couldn't not be really.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=garryhg;7234145]
Originally Posted by Lorrielou
We are in the same position. We got our permanent residency visa earlier this month and have booked flights to validate. However, I'm a bit concerned about Oz and wondering if it has the offer what we wanted when we started out. It seems to me that it is becoming more like the UK and the differences are starting to blur. I've noticed the crime rates rising steadily in Melbourne in areas that were 'safeish' when we first started looking 2 years ago. There are regular posts of Ozzies getting less friendly, are more unhappy about immigrants and 'pulling up the bridges', the economy isn' fareing too well (although NZ isn't too different, but at least properties are cheaper!), education doesn't appear too brilliant (don't know about NZ), bush fires and 45 degrees heat (in Melboure, which is where we are looking at), rise in graffiti and vandalism.

I've posted a seperate thread recently which has had one good response (thanks for that) although more would of course be welcome. I must admit that the thought of starting the whole process again (visas, research on areas etc) is hugely daunting. But then, so is the thought of getting over to somewhere and not staying.

Nightmare, isn't it? Hopefully we can find out a bit more between us as I don't have a clue where to start! I'll keep an eye on your post too.
Regards

Lorraine[/QUOT

I think you should go in with your eyes open,every country has there problems...If you have all the info, good and bad before you go you are more prepared...but please don,t judge somewhere on someone else's experience.one mans meat is another mans poison...an all that.some posters on here Auckland isn't for them..and thats fine...Us we love it and wouldn't want to be anywhere else...:.and certainly don't judge it by UK standards...remember you are leaving the UK for a reason.....Go and judge it for yourself,.thumbsup...but good luck with your choices...Jacky
I think that Jacky has just given you some very good advice.

I think you will find that crime in NZ is noted in the media far more than in Aus and the UK and that can give you a distorted impression of crime.

I have worked in Auckland, Aus and the UK as a OT nurse and from what I have seen violence has been on the increase everywhere.

The difference is in NZ it is reported and highlighted more by the media.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

ginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
I've just moved to the Howick area, and it seems a nice compromise - away from the hustle and bustle but within a reasonable commute, though Auckland traffic is very very nasty and targeting the CBD area could v easily stretch over 45mins - depends when you set off.
There is the ferry from Half Moon Bay that goes into the CBD, I haven't used it myself but from the amount of cars down there it looks like a lot of people use it to commute to the CBD for work, not sure how long it takes and then of course you've got to consider how to get to work from the other end, but it seems a pleasant way of avoiding the traffic.

I've just moved into the Half Moon Bay area and am so far loving it. I originally wanted to live in the Mellons Bay/Cockle Bay area but found it difficult finding a nice rental house there, although will definitely consider living there when we're looking to buy.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

Kerri. is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by helen roberts
Hi everyone

First time I've posted on the New Zealand forum because up until recently, we were set on Oz. However, have been doing a little research into Auckland, and talking to a friend of mine who's just come back, and I wonder if this could be our place. Looking at places to live up and around Howick and it seems as if it has everything: decent weather, lovely beach, nice scenery, parks, walks, good schools and lots of places to see in close proximity. Would this be fair to say?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Helen
We've been living in Bucklands Beach for over 2 years and are definitely happy and settled, it's a fabulous place with so much around.
Rather than driving into CBD for work, I'd suggest catching the ferry from Half Moon Bay, it only takes about 30mins, it's really reasonable priced and a great way to travel in
Old Feb 7th 2009, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

We live just out of the city, to the north. It's a fantastic place to be - out of the city bustle when we want to be but close enough to commute into town for work or visit for the facilities.
The Auckland area is great - very nice climate, some nice surrounding countryside and a fantastic coastline. I was brought up in the South Island but have no doubt I'd rather be here than down there
Old Feb 7th 2009, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.emigratenz.org/ms-living-in-auckland-1.html

I think the same.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crap coffee
Sums it up quite well really!
Old Feb 7th 2009, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
Sums it up quite well really!
Hell Yeah.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

As i've said one man's meat is another man's poison...Jacky