Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

what's it really like living in Auckland?

what's it really like living in Auckland?

Old Apr 21st 2008, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

helen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nice
Default what's it really like living in Auckland?

Hi everyone

First time I've posted on the New Zealand forum because up until recently, we were set on Oz. However, have been doing a little research into Auckland, and talking to a friend of mine who's just come back, and I wonder if this could be our place. Looking at places to live up and around Howick and it seems as if it has everything: decent weather, lovely beach, nice scenery, parks, walks, good schools and lots of places to see in close proximity. Would this be fair to say?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Helen
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: what's it really like living in Auckland?

The area around Howick is very nice.

Like all parts it has and has had its problems but in general its a quiet area. The beaches at Howick and Cockle bay are lovely places and i would say if you are looking at that area as somewhere to live you'd couldn't go far wrong.

If you look slightly further outside Howick, Clevedon and Whitford are beautiful country areas and the beaches around Maraetai and out to Kawakawa are stunning.

One advantage about being south is that you avoid the traffic slightly when compared to having to commute to the CBD from the north shore etc. To be honest Howick feels very much like the North Shore areas in that it has a very high density of housing which for us was a downside as we wanted space.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

helen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nice

Thanks for that. We do have to consider the commute as Simon, my husband, would be working in the CBD. He doesn't really want to commute more than 45 minutes in the morning. Having said that, there may be a possibility of some working from home.

Thanks

Helen
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helen roberts View Post
Thanks for that. We do have to consider the commute as Simon, my husband, would be working in the CBD. He doesn't really want to commute more than 45 minutes in the morning. Having said that, there may be a possibility of some working from home.

Thanks

Helen
Commute times are all important Clevedon, Whitford are quite areas but in IMHO too far to consider a decent commute in Auckland's CBD. Likewise Maraetai, and certainly Kawakawa.
The latter has a beach, but there signs warning of the water quality being polluted and advising against swimming and collecting shellfish.

I've just moved to the Howick area, and it seems a nice compromise - away from the hustle and bustle but within a reasonable commute, though Auckland traffic is very very nasty and targeting the CBD area could v easily stretch over 45mins - depends when you set off.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,we are in Cockle Bay,which is basicaly Howick...we have picked the right area for us,we like it here..lovely beaches,good amenities if you have kids,good schools,although check out your zones before securing a house here....Bucklands Beach, Melons Bay,are all minutes drive from Howick,they are lovely too,and schools there IMHO are probably better,for teens anyway,as they sit the Cambridge exams there.....Oh drives into CBD every day and he is in his office in about 30 mins,he does leave earlyish in the morning ,so this may help.....But Howick is a lovely little village,with a real community feel...We think...Jacky
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by chocolate cake View Post
Commute times are all important Clevedon, Whitford are quite areas but in IMHO too far to consider a decent commute in Auckland's CBD. Likewise Maraetai, and certainly Kawakawa.
The latter has a beach, but there signs warning of the water quality being polluted and advising against swimming and collecting shellfish.
The renowned Clevedon Oysters are actually farmed in Kawakawa bay oyster beds........

Last edited by teambwr47; Apr 22nd 2008 at 10:44 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 1:05 pm
TIE
Forum Regular

TIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really nice

Originally Posted by helen roberts View Post
Hi everyone

First time I've posted on the New Zealand forum because up until recently, we were set on Oz. However, have been doing a little research into Auckland, and talking to a friend of mine who's just come back, and I wonder if this could be our place. Looking at places to live up and around Howick and it seems as if it has everything: decent weather, lovely beach, nice scenery, parks, walks, good schools and lots of places to see in close proximity. Would this be fair to say?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Helen
There are nice parts (and not so nice ones!) all over Auckland if you know where to look. The North Shore and the eastern areas around Howick do tend to prove very popular with people moving from the UK and South Africa.

For some basic suburb information, have a look at this site www.auckland-suburb-guide.co.nz

It shows all the Auckland suburbs, how well-off they are and has links to a write-up on most of them. It's basic, but not a bad start point when looking at suburbs to live in or check out a suburb you see on a property site or For Sale ad.

Good luck on your move.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teambwr47 View Post
The renowned Clevedon Oysters are actually farmed in Kawakawa bay oyster beds........
I hope that's not the true origin of the Clevedon Oysters after reading the Howick Times article today about beach quaility. The reason for the signs advising against swimming in Kawakawa Bay, become very clear when you know they flush raw sewage out into the sea there

Last edited by chocolate cake; Jan 12th 2009 at 7:56 am. Reason: typo correction
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

newt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant future

Depends what you're looking for, and what you're used to, I suppose. I haven't been back to Auckland in 16 years....but wild horses couldn't drag me anywhere near the place, thankyouverymuch.

It was a Godforsaken hellhole of a dump back then, and I don't imagine it's got much better.

That said, many of my relatives on Mum's side still live there, or near it, and claim to like it.

Personally I believe, as I have done for some time, that the real New Zealand begins at Picton.

I haven't been on this site for a wee while, so I should add that I am a native (as in a native New Zealander, not a Native new zealander ), I grew up in the NI and have lived in the SI these past 15 years.
My new Lady is from Lincolnshire, and we're moving to Rangiora from Central Otago in a couple of weeks.

Looking forward to it.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by newt View Post
My new Lady is from Lincolnshire, and we're moving to Rangiora from Central Otago in a couple of weeks.

Looking forward to it.
Wishing you all the very best mate
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Docklander by choice
Attached Thumbnails what's it really like living in Auckland?-jafaland.jpg  
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by crap coffee View Post
Docklander by choice
Piccy taken from Devonport I guess
Old Jan 29th 2009, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

eddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by julesnye View Post
Piccy taken from Devonport I guess

or from a boat
Old Jan 31st 2009, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crap coffee View Post
Docklander by choice
Another Jafa by choice
Old Jan 31st 2009, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

We are in the same position. We got our permanent residency visa earlier this month and have booked flights to validate. However, I'm a bit concerned about Oz and wondering if it has the offer what we wanted when we started out. It seems to me that it is becoming more like the UK and the differences are starting to blur. I've noticed the crime rates rising steadily in Melbourne in areas that were 'safeish' when we first started looking 2 years ago. There are regular posts of Ozzies getting less friendly, are more unhappy about immigrants and 'pulling up the bridges', the economy isn' fareing too well (although NZ isn't too different, but at least properties are cheaper!), education doesn't appear too brilliant (don't know about NZ), bush fires and 45 degrees heat (in Melboure, which is where we are looking at), rise in graffiti and vandalism.

I've posted a seperate thread recently which has had one good response (thanks for that) although more would of course be welcome. I must admit that the thought of starting the whole process again (visas, research on areas etc) is hugely daunting. But then, so is the thought of getting over to somewhere and not staying.

Nightmare, isn't it? Hopefully we can find out a bit more between us as I don't have a clue where to start! I'll keep an eye on your post too.
Regards

Lorraine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.