Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What's the procedure for taking kids out of the UK schools?

What's the procedure for taking kids out of the UK schools?

Old Mar 15th 2016, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

valleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nice
Default Re: What's the procedure for taking kids out of the UK schools?

Just explain to the local authority that you are emigrating to nz! We have had to do this as we have told them that our daughter won't be taking her gcses. Coming from the uk to Nz benefits them as the schooling is 6 months behind so they will possibly be more advanced anyway. Good Luck
Old Mar 16th 2016, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valleygurl
Coming from the uk to Nz benefits them as the schooling is 6 months behind so they will possibly be more advanced anyway. Good Luck
Not necessarily, it depends on when your child's birthday is. Some children who finish a particular year in July in the UK, may have to repeat the last term so they finish the same year in December, others will 'jump' forward to the year above so they'll miss 3 terms of schooling.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KOH2
We're slowly shutting down our life in the UK - I wish I knew how other people have managed to co-ordinate everything together?
Just picking up on this comment
If your children don't return to school, they will miss the opportunity to say goodbye to all their friends.
Having pulled kids from school myself, I know how important it is for them to get closure on their UK lives.
It helps them to cope with the upheaval of leaving and with settling in to their new lives
Old Mar 19th 2016, 10:09 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree. Closure is so important. I'm a counsellor and not allowing children to say goodbye properly can create attatchment issues around future relationships. If you don't want them to return to school how about a goodbye party for their friends?
Old Mar 19th 2016, 8:58 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
I totally agree. Closure is so important. I'm a counsellor and not allowing children to say goodbye properly can create attatchment issues around future relationships. If you don't want them to return to school how about a goodbye party for their friends?
Pips you're back 😊 How are you getting on?
Old Mar 19th 2016, 9:33 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Pips you're back 😊 How are you getting on?
Hi! I'm doing really well thanks. Just thought I'd pay the forum a visit and see what's happening with everyone. How are you?
Old Mar 19th 2016, 10:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi! I'm doing really well thanks. Just thought I'd pay the forum a visit and see what's happening with everyone. How are you?
Great to see you back. Hope you're going to hang around.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 10:49 pm
Looking for my marbles.

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Great to see you back. Hope you're going to hang around.
Hi there! Yes I think I will hang around. I've missed you lot! Hope you're ok.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 6:32 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

my kids left at the end of Dec term so I did a combined party for them both. hired a hall and a entertainer and asked the parents to bring some food so it didn't sky rocket out of control on costs. kids had a great time and also enabled their friends to make them cards to say goodbye. I did small party bags with home made bookmarks with kids faces on and their email addresses.

As we hadn't had our visa's agreed by the time we left so we going over on a holiday visa with a return for 6mths later so we organised the kids to go back into school for a day to update their friends and we also arranged play dates.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

maquis is an unknown quantity at this point

We're planning to leave mid September, so kids will say goodbye to classmates at the end of the school year in July and then we'll probably do a general goodbye party early September for friends and family.

Mrs Fychan, the homemade bookmarks sound like a brilliant idea!
Old Mar 27th 2016, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

KOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Just picking up on this comment
If your children don't return to school, they will miss the opportunity to say goodbye to all their friends.
Having pulled kids from school myself, I know how important it is for them to get closure on their UK lives.
It helps them to cope with the upheaval of leaving and with settling in to their new lives

Well, actually, they will say goodbye to their friends at the end of the summer term, then the house gets sold (so we'll have no UK base any more) and we go off to Poland to say goodbye to my rellies over there + a bit of travelling around Europe & come back for our flight to NZ. So there's closure on all fronts.

I know it's a slightly prolonged departure but hopefully the travelling will keep them occupied & broaden their minds.

Our original plan to keep them in school till December has fallen through but tbh I think it's for the better as they'll get to be involved in choosing our new property in NZ and if they miss a bit of schooling I'm sure the whole experience will be much more worthwhile than some missed lessons.
Old Mar 27th 2016, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

KOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi pippalonghorn,

Thank you for your comment. I'm quite aware of of closure as I was never offered any when I moved to the UK and what was initially meant to be a 3 month stay turned out to be an almost 5 year stint. This is probably why I'm a bit screwed up and am absolutely adamant that our kids get to say goodbye to their friends - albeit at the end of the summer term - since we won't have a UK base for much beyond that.