Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Whats the one thing about NZ

Whats the one thing about NZ

Old Nov 17th 2013, 6:35 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Whats the one thing about NZ

you would love to show a loved one or best friend.

I would love to show my mum the evening sky. It amazes me most nights on my evening dog walk and I get a bit choked up that my mum would never see how jaw dropping it is. getting a bit teary eyed just typing this
Old Nov 17th 2013, 6:53 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats the one thing about NZ

I'd love to show my Dad around the town as some of the buildings are old and historical. We could get coffee in a funky coffee bar such as Jolt or Cracked Pepper then walk along the boardwalk and take a trip on the antique steamboat. Followed by lunch in an old pub overlooking the river.

Unfortunately his doctor has told him not to fly long haul because of the health risks due to his age, 71, and he's overweight. He's also got a funny attitude about spending most days in the pub if he came to visit

However, some days I remember when he can be in a good mood and taking an interest in things around him. That makes me sigh when I remember the old days, i.e. anytime when mum was still alive prior to her death in 2005.

(Hope I haven't killed this thread stone dead)
Old Nov 17th 2013, 8:21 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

I have to go with the stars too. When we went camping I needed to go to the loo. It was 3.30am. I couldnt believe what I was seeing in the sky. The stars were I have never seen anything like that in my life and probably never will again.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 8:35 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Sodium light pollution is a problem but you will see great stars again Pippalonghorn.
Just go looking.
We used to go out about 20 minutes to a place called Cranbourne Chase just to star gaze . The Milky Way was the right way round too.

Not sure if MrsF means the night sky or the evening sky. UK sunsets tend to be gentle hues of pinks and blues , whereas here the colours are far more marked.

I know what you mean SnapShot. My Dad was never quite the same after Mum died in '96. Still miss them both and would have liked my Dad to have been able to come see where we are for himself. Not anything specific. Just that he shared the same space.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 9:35 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I would probably go for Lake Tekapo day and night when the mountains are snowy. Looking out across Lake Tekapo and Pukaki at the snow capped mountains is just beautiful. I've never seen water that colour before! Night time star gazing as above at Tekapo is apparently one of the best places in the world to star gaze
Old Nov 18th 2013, 4:18 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

both really, the sun setting over the hills sometimes makes it look like they are on fire and the stars and milky way at night is just amazing.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 4:25 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Not so much see, more experience The silence.........
Old Nov 18th 2013, 4:47 am
`

Originally Posted by Stormer999
The silence.........
We would love that.

Ah ! See what you mean Mrs F.

A mackerel sky at sunset would be one then. So very typical of the South Pacific.

The night sky, we personally had in the UK , as we did blue pools.

Perhaps thermal hot pools whilst snow is on the ground. Hanmer Springs.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I would show my mum my own garden (2.5 acres). She wasn't really "allowed" spend much on hers before dad died, and now she is gone too, I just wish she could see where we ended up; she died before we emigrated so never knew.....

Jan
Old Nov 18th 2013, 7:36 pm

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
We would love that.

Ah ! See what you mean Mrs F.

A mackerel sky at sunset would be one then. So very typical of the South Pacific.

The night sky, we personally had in the UK , as we did blue pools.

Perhaps thermal hot pools whilst snow is on the ground. Hanmer Springs.
Sorry forgot them Bas*ards
Old Nov 18th 2013, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
I would show my mum my own garden (2.5 acres). She wasn't really "allowed" spend much on hers before dad died, and now she is gone too, I just wish she could see where we ended up; she died before we emigrated so never knew.....

Jan
I like to think my mum and dad "somehow" know where I ended up
Old Nov 18th 2013, 9:00 pm
`

So true.
They will never see for themselves but I like to think they are all right here with us, as they are, in our hearts.
My MIL included. She is still alive but her mind is only just with us still.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

ChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really nice

Hard to choose, pretty much too hard. Perhaps one of the following:

Arthur's Pass
Tongariro/Ngauruhoe and the surrounding deep red colours from Red Ridge on the crossing
Wellington Harbour

I could go on.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

kiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond repute

My old Dad, now long gone, was a great bird watcher (or 'twitcher'). He would have loved to see some of the varieties we have here - especially the Tui, Rosellas and Fantails.
Pete
Old Nov 20th 2013, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

burbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this point

It would have to be a road trip purely for the clearness of the air. To look many ks into the distance & pick out individual things, to look ahead to where the sky & land are as crisp as plants etc are on a walk.

I read lots of books from early settlers here & one remark from a lady who came over 1856 seems just as pertinent today. She wrote ' that the joy of looking at trees in the distance & almost picking out individual leaves..."

I used to regularly do the M25 run from Kent to Heathrow & that brown haze (always in the distance) was something that I hated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.