British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   What's the most you have lost money wise. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/whats-most-you-have-lost-money-wise-645855/)

Genesis Dec 23rd 2009 2:04 am

What's the most you have lost money wise.

I have lost jobs, friends, one wife (back in 1997) and a whole pile of kiwi$$. I have just gotten out of Hanover Finance/Allied Farmers losing to the tune of $95,000ish. Its a long story but from what I have heard Allied are pretty dodgy at present and as they say 'a bird in the hand'. I was hoping to buy some back if they dropped to the 5 cents mark as was suggested but this has not happened. We ended up with getting just under $58k back including the 3 payments hanover made this year. Kate is awesome about it and says we are lucky..had we been with Bridgecorp we would have got nought. Nevertheless I am really hurting over this just now (as we have had endless shite over this debacle)......how have others dealt with big financial losses? I guess I have to move on aye but this has really go to me. I guess I wanted receivership and have Hotchin and Watkins held to account. But that was never gonna happen.

BEVS Dec 23rd 2009 2:24 am

Re: What's the most you have lost money wise.

I was once swindled out of a huge sum of money by a pair that I regarded as such long time close friends that I regarded them as family. Talk about duped hook, line and sinker. What a trusting fool I was.
That would have been around NZD $25 / 30 K and at that time, 20 odd years ago , represented many years of hard earned savings.
Those people could have sold a couple of antiques or a vintage car to return my money. They chose things & greed over my friendship.

I don't know that I will ever forget or forgive but time has lessened the hurt.
As for the money? Well I tried to sue but it was impossible .

Genesis Dec 23rd 2009 2:35 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 8192798)
I was once swindled out of a huge sum of money by a pair that I regarded as such long time close friends that I regarded them as family. Talk about duped hook, line and sinker. What a trusting fool I was.
That would have been around NZD $25 / 30 K and at that time, 20 odd years ago , represented many years of hard earned savings.
Those people could have sold a couple of antiques or a vintage car to return my money. They chose things & greed over my friendship.

I don't know that I will ever forget or forgive but time has lessened the hurt.
As for the money? Well I tried to sue but it was impossible .

Sorry to hear that Bevs, I guess at least I didn't personaly know the bunch that screwed me. That is very sad and $25k 20 years ago is big bucks. I could never forgive someone who did that.

Jan n Neil Dec 23rd 2009 4:42 am

We lost over $300.000 (yes 3 hundred):eek: on the house sale and exchange rate it got to me at first but now i dont care i consider it a small price to pay to get out of the UK

Neil

mickey_d Dec 23rd 2009 5:17 am

About $280k in salary for the 4 years we have been here:eek:

bourbon-biscuit Dec 23rd 2009 5:56 am

Entered NZ in 2007 with about $100k and built a house (long, sorry story)- am now down to just the deposit the landlord (well, the rental ppl) holds on our rental.

I'm able to be pretty philisophical about it but I am in my early 30s and feel sure it'll all turn out right in the long run. We made some bad decisions compounded by bad luck and there's nothing to be gained from dwelling on it. It only bothers me when I think about how long it will be before we can own the roof over our heads again but then I've heard some sorry emigration tales and I'm thankful I still have a wonderful marriage, happy healthy children and a bright future here :)

bourbon-biscuit Dec 23rd 2009 6:03 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 8192825)
Sorry to hear that Bevs, I guess at least I didn't personaly know the bunch that screwed me. That is very sad and $25k 20 years ago is big bucks. I could never forgive someone who did that.

You'd be better off to- my mum once told me a story about two monks who were walking along a road and came to a river crossing where a rich woman insisted the older monk carry her across. He did so but the younger monk was furious and though they walked on in silence his anger and resentment grew. Eventually the older monk asked him what the matter was and he replied that it bothers him so that the rich woman had demanded he carry her like that, to which he replied "oh but I put that woman down two hours ago".

I suspect it's a well known buddhist monk story and perhaps I've not got it quite correct in the retelling but I do believe that applies well to most shitty situations in life.