Reload this Page >

Whats it like then?

Whats it like then?

Old Jul 4th 2007, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

bonzos is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Whats it like then?

Hi there

I am living in Scotland with my family (me, wife and 3-year-old son).

Would love to go the whole hog and move to New Zealand!
We both, my wife and I, have family here we are close to but would definitely move to New Zealand if there were opportunities for us to be successful and have a nice lifestyle.

Of course my sons education is of the upmost importance.

I work in education as an Active Schools Co-ordinator and run a very small Personal Training Business. My wife works part-time in a restaurant.

I hope to go back to uni and do a Masters in Sports Science at some point

Anyone been where we are just now and DID it?

regards

David
Old Jul 4th 2007, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Whats it like then?

Hi David,

We were in the same boat only 8 weeks ago. I fortunately got a job offer and we thought very hard about the move. As you, we have family close by, but we believe the opportunities are greater and the kids will have more freedom.

As mentioned this was only 8 weeks ago and we fly of to Auckland on the 17th of this Month....Another Scottish family on their way.

All the best with your plans. We may even meet up one day in NZ.

Garry
Old Jul 4th 2007, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by garryhg
Hi David,

We were in the same boat only 8 weeks ago. I fortunately got a job offer and we thought very hard about the move. As you, we have family close by, but we believe the opportunities are greater and the kids will have more freedom.

As mentioned this was only 8 weeks ago and we fly of to Auckland on the 17th of this Month....Another Scottish family on their way.

All the best with your plans. We may even meet up one day in NZ.

Garry
Hi Garry
Thanks for the reply, weird to hear from other people taking the big step.
If you keep using this forum we would love to hear more about NZ, especially interested in schooling!

David
Old Jul 4th 2007, 8:14 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by bonzos
Hi there

I am living in Scotland with my family (me, wife and 3-year-old son).
Hello, Bonzos clan.

Would love to go the whole hog and move to New Zealand!
We both, my wife and I, have family here we are close to but would definitely move to New Zealand if there were opportunities for us to be successful and have a nice lifestyle.
Of course there are opportunities for 'success', same as most places, but nothing is guaranteed. As far as a nice lifestyle, well that is pretty damn relevant to your own tastes and expectations. For example I like spinach and think it's very nice, but my ten-year-old doesn't agree.

Of course my son's education is of the upmost importance.
Of course.

I work in education as an Active Schools Co-ordinator and run a very small Personal Training Business. My wife works part-time in a restaurant.

I hope to go back to uni and do a Masters in Sports Science at some point

Anyone been where we are just now and DID it?
Many thousands of people DO it every year according to immigration statistics.

regards

David
Good luck David & family.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Bonzos...I'll certainly keep you updated..I also agree with the post above...Life's what you make it"...

Where in Scotland are you from?
Old Jul 4th 2007, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Leighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant future

Hi Bonzos...I'll certainly keep you updated..I also agree with the post above...Life's what you make it"...

Aye Bonzo's fa d'ya bide?
Old Jul 4th 2007, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

Hi David,
we have been here since January after coming out on recce in 2005. We put in our EOI in September and our ITA in November, got PR early December and haven't loked back since.
Our kids are 10,9 and 3 and they love it. The schools have their good points and their not so good points but I can honestly say that the school my kids go to is great and the kids have developed a lot more emotionally while we have been here due in part to the school and in part due to the increased freedom and responsibilty we give them here.
We do get homesick occasionally but only for family and friends, not for the UK in general. It isn't as cheap as some would have you believe (not when you're earning kiwi dollars) but we definitely have a better family lifestyle here.
We took someone's advice when we were planning to move to not see NZ as better than the UK (or worse in some peoples opinions) but to see it as different and that has worked for us.
Good luck with your plans.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donnaf
Hi David,
we have been here since January after coming out on recce in 2005. We put in our EOI in September and our ITA in November, got PR early December and haven't loked back since.
Our kids are 10,9 and 3 and they love it. The schools have their good points and their not so good points but I can honestly say that the school my kids go to is great and the kids have developed a lot more emotionally while we have been here due in part to the school and in part due to the increased freedom and responsibilty we give them here.
We do get homesick occasionally but only for family and friends, not for the UK in general. It isn't as cheap as some would have you believe (not when you're earning kiwi dollars) but we definitely have a better family lifestyle here.
We took someone's advice when we were planning to move to not see NZ as better than the UK (or worse in some peoples opinions) but to see it as different and that has worked for us.
Good luck with your plans.
I have to agree with Donna - we've been here nearly eleven months, and we are sure that we made a great decision! We made the move without coming for a visit first, but everything has worked out well for us.

You only have one life - so follow your dreams!
Debbie.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:36 am
Dr. Watchers

Scottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really nice
Wink Re: Whats it like then?

Originally Posted by planty
I have to agree with Donna - we've been here nearly eleven months, and we are sure that we made a great decision! We made the move without coming for a visit first, but everything has worked out well for us.

You only have one life - so follow your dreams!
Debbie.

Hi there

I agree with Debbie, we haven't been on a recce either so its a huge leap of faith for us from East Kilbride to the Kapiti Coast. Hopefully!
We're submitting our Invitation To Apply (ITA) for residency on Friday. We have an 8 year old and a 7 year old both boys. I intend to keep up the weekly spelling tests their current primary school started and also to ensure they 'learn' the times tables in the same way their school wanted. It might mean extra homework but it won't do them any harm.
The school here have provided me with some home schooling materials from the curriculum. [I did 4 months of postgrad teacher training at Jordanhill before illness caused me to withdraw].
My boys could do with some emotional maturity and we're hoping to be able to give them a bit more freedom in NZ than we do here at the moment. Some would say there's more to life than academia. I should know I was a Senior Lecturer at University of Salford before returning to Scotland when I had the kids. Think about what you really want out of life. We're going for it!!
Old Jul 5th 2007, 1:59 am
Just Joined

Wendy22 will become famous soon enoughWendy22 will become famous soon enough

We lived in NZ for two years before moving to the US for work. We'd like to move back one day as the climate's perfect for us and the beaches are magnificent.

When we left we did feel a bit disillusioned careerwise and so I'd definitely suggest doing plenty of research about your profession before moving. We really struggled in the beginning because we were a bit naive in this area. That said, there are opportunities to succeed in your career if you look around.

There are plenty of opportunities to have a nice lifestyle, especially with kids. The outdoors lifestyle is so healthy and people generally put their families before their jobs which is refreshing to see.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

Kerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to all

Hi there

We have been here since Dec 06 and had planned to move here 3 years ago ... long story.

My partner is Kiwi but has been away for 14yrs. We too visited NZ so that we could make a decision as to whether to move here or not.

Although it has only been 7 months, I don't regret the decision one bit. Initially, it was much more difficult than we expected finding a job and a new home and was quite stressful. I have a 18mth old and a 14 year old and my 14 year old loves his school. NZ schools are a little behind which is causing a slight problem with Kieran as he is getting a little bored as he has already done most of the work they are studying currently.

Our friends here have become more like family and it makes you learn to appreciate your friends and family more when you move away. As so many people are in such a similar situation, there is a huge support network out here which has largely contributed to our settlement here.

Kerry
Old Jul 5th 2007, 5:09 am
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

I agree that "life is what you make it" butwhy do so many people say that actually move? Do you see the irony?

If people really believed it, they wouldn't leave.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:17 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
What a good point. I never thought that before and completely agree.

I really don't think people believe it either. I think many use it as the catalyst for changing the way they live and/or having an adventure. Some obviously manage to live a better life, mainly through a comparatively better environment/neighbourhood I suspect.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Garry

Cheers mate

We are from airdrie
Old Jul 12th 2007, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
I agree that "life is what you make it" butwhy do so many people say that actually move? Do you see the irony?

Garryhg

you talk sense.
I would agree in that I make what I can of life and try to pass that on to my son.
My partner, however, just despises the cold weather (born in RSA) and the ned culture of Scotland. I believe she WOULD try to make of it what she can if she didnt have these things to moan about...like a barrier

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.