Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

whats it like in marlbourough region

whats it like in marlbourough region

Old Apr 3rd 2005, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

dlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant future
Default whats it like in marlbourough region

i am planning on moving my family to this area, can someone tell me what this area is like for schools and work for electricians. looking to live either near kaikoura or down to kaiapoi.
Old Apr 4th 2005, 12:22 pm
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: whats it like in marlbourough region

Originally Posted by dlummis
i am planning on moving my family to this area, can someone tell me what this area is like for schools and work for electricians. looking to live either near kaikoura or down to kaiapoi.
Have you been to Kaikoura? Its a beautiful place, whale watching center etc.very tourist orientated, but not much there, isolated and quite small compared to Blenheim, which is the main city in Marlborough.

Kaiapoi is near Christchurch in North Canterbury, not Marlborough. Ask Watt Dabney for info there as thats where she lives.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 5:23 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garrisondamn
Have you been to Kaikoura? Its a beautiful place, whale watching center etc.very tourist orientated, but not much there, isolated and quite small compared to Blenheim, which is the main city in Marlborough.

Kaiapoi is near Christchurch in North Canterbury, not Marlborough. Ask Watt Dabney for info there as thats where she lives.
I suggest you study a map of NZ a little more. Marlborough is towards the Northern part of The South Island while Kaikoura is on the east coast & closer to North Canterbury really. I think Blenheim is a lovely town/City. Kaikoura is known for tourist attractions as whale watching & fishing but not a lot of local employment so unless you have something lined up I wouldnt count on finding a job there too easy. Kaiapoi is on the outskirts of Christchurch, about a 15 minute drive to the city on a good day. Its a lovely township & gives one a country style life but still close to the city. Its a very popular place to live these days. Not a problem to live there drive into the City everyday for work.

Shepslady
Old Apr 15th 2005, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

dlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by shepslady
I suggest you study a map of NZ a little more. Marlborough is towards the Northern part of The South Island while Kaikoura is on the east coast & closer to North Canterbury really. I think Blenheim is a lovely town/City. Kaikoura is known for tourist attractions as whale watching & fishing but not a lot of local employment so unless you have something lined up I wouldnt count on finding a job there too easy. Kaiapoi is on the outskirts of Christchurch, about a 15 minute drive to the city on a good day. Its a lovely township & gives one a country style life but still close to the city. Its a very popular place to live these days. Not a problem to live there drive into the City everyday for work.

Shepslady
i think some people think im a muppet i know where these places are but there is only so much info you can put on the header note
anyway thanks for the info
Old Apr 15th 2005, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

Sally1 will become famous soon enoughSally1 will become famous soon enough

Think that note from Shepslady wasn't aimed at you Dlummas
Old Apr 15th 2005, 2:38 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

i think some people think im a muppet i know where these places are but there is only so much info you can put on the header note
anyway thanks for the info
Wasnt trying to insinuate anything such thing & Im sorry you took it that way. Just giving my two cents worth & trying to help!!
Old Apr 15th 2005, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shepslady
Wasnt trying to insinuate anything such thing & Im sorry you took it that way. Just giving my two cents worth & trying to help!!
thats ok im only messing thanks for info i notice you are in usa are you from nz, when did you move to usa
Old Apr 15th 2005, 4:08 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

thats ok im only messing thanks for info i notice you are in usa are you from nz, when did you move to usa
Yes I moved to the USA in 2003 but NZ will always be my home. I was born & bred in Christchurch & am very much a one eyed Cantabrian, something Im sure you will learn about when you move to NZ. NZ'ers in general are all very loyal to NZ but none quite as much as those from the Canterbury area The sports mad people, especially rugby fans particularly so. The rivalry between provinces is particularyly strong so once you get settled no doubt you will soon figure out who to support etc. Its all a bit of fun really but some tend to take it all a bit too seriously. Just in case you wondered I dont intend to spend the rest of my days here in the US. My American husband is very keen to move to NZ permanently when the time is right. He has only seen the South Island of NZ & quite a bit of Auckland too but says the south is definately where he wants to settle. Good news for me as the majority of my family are in the south.
Id be pleased to offer you any advise as long as you remember Im probably a little biased because I just love NZ
Old Apr 16th 2005, 12:39 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Technically Kaikoura is in Marlborough, not Canterbury. However because it is fairly remote from any cities (that is if Blenheim even qualifies as a city) it tends to get sort of forgotten.

Potentially marvellous place to live, if you can get some good work. And is absolutely booming with tourism at present.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 12:43 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

Originally Posted by southerner
Technically Kaikoura is in Marlborough, not Canterbury. However because it is fairly remote from any cities (that is if Blenheim even qualifies as a city) it tends to get sort of forgotten.

Potentially marvellous place to live, if you can get some good work. And is absolutely booming with tourism at present.
You will note that I did say North Canterbury & not Canterbury because I wasnt sure if it came under Marlborough or not but did know enough to know it wasnt part of Canterbury. Agree that its booming with tourism at present but still think with it being a smaller city work might be hard to come by but thats just my opinion. Then again it can be difficult in bigger cities too so I guess it best to research it as well as you can before you decide to move over.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 1:03 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, the specified area you have chosen is a bit unusual. Between Kaikoura and Kaiapoi is a lot of country, with very few settlements, and what there are are very small. Unless you are looking for the country lifestyle (its unclear from your note) then your choice really is between Kaiapoi and Kaikoura, two very different places.

I guess what I'm saying, is please give us some more information (such as why that area attracts you so), and we can maybe give some better advice.

Cheers
Old Apr 16th 2005, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

Tayberry will become famous soon enoughTayberry will become famous soon enough

I can only comment on Kaikoura-stopped off there for a couple of days-in my opinion this was 1 day too long!! It is amazingly beautiful-you can watch whales, dolphins and seals but even if you're the world's most fanatical marine life watcher, I think you'd lose the will to live in this town. There isn't much to do and actually, I thought it was sad there was some very noticeable vandalism present when I went there.

If you're looking at the Marlborough region, perhaps you ought to be looking at Blenheim or further west towards Nelson. Stunning places but just too quiet for my liking. This of course is a blessing for many others!!!!
Old Apr 16th 2005, 6:15 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tayberry
I can only comment on Kaikoura-stopped off there for a couple of days-in my opinion this was 1 day too long!! It is amazingly beautiful-you can watch whales, dolphins and seals but even if you're the world's most fanatical marine life watcher, I think you'd lose the will to live in this town. There isn't much to do and actually, I thought it was sad there was some very noticeable vandalism present when I went there.

If you're looking at the Marlborough region, perhaps you ought to be looking at Blenheim or further west towards Nelson. Stunning places but just too quiet for my liking. This of course is a blessing for many others!!!!
I'd agree with this view on Kaikoura! Wonderful setting, particularly when there's snow on the mountains in the distance, but it would be like living in a very deserted Durness for 6-8 months of the year. (Durness? Where's that? EXACTLY!!!) Take away the touristy shops & eateries and I'm not sure there'd be anything much left.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by southerner
Actually, the specified area you have chosen is a bit unusual. Between Kaikoura and Kaiapoi is a lot of country, with very few settlements, and what there are are very small. Unless you are looking for the country lifestyle (its unclear from your note) then your choice really is between Kaiapoi and Kaikoura, two very different places.

I guess what I'm saying, is please give us some more information (such as why that area attracts you so), and we can maybe give some better advice.

Cheers
i live in suffolk at the moment and have always been surrounded by farms and fields so i like it remote but i have to think about work and as an electrician i need to find a contractor to work for. whould any of you suggest any areas around christchurch but which is out of the city 1/2 hour drive or something as i like living the village life
thanks
Old Apr 16th 2005, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Tayberry will become famous soon enoughTayberry will become famous soon enough

i live in suffolk at the moment and have always been surrounded by farms and fields so i like it remote but i have to think about work and as an electrician i need to find a contractor to work for. whould any of you suggest any areas around christchurch but which is out of the city 1/2 hour drive or something as i like living the village life
thanks
I'm definately not the person to be offerring suggestions on this, given the fact I'm living in Auckland but I've heard Rangiora is a nice place to be-just outside Christchurch. I'm sure others can help you out with this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.