Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Whats happening to Orewa?

Whats happening to Orewa?

Old Jun 8th 2009, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

NZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to behold
Default Whats happening to Orewa?

Just driving to work this morning and was having a look at the general state of Orewa...Is it me or is it looking pretty rough these days?

I think its due to the amount of people who are not renewing the leases on their businesses and also the new Orewa Boulevard thats going in..Roll on when all the old buildings are scrapped and the new ones are built...

Could be to do with the awful weather too mind you.....
Old Jun 9th 2009, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats happening to Orewa?

It is looking a bit bleak due to the roadworks I think. But hopefully, the "boulevard" and the reduced traffic levels due to the motorway will give it a nice atmosphere in the summer. There are some scruffy old buildings which could do with demolition but I don't suppose that will happen for a couple of years with the recession etc.
I'm amazed at how many new houses are being built - and very nice ones too - in our part of town. We also have the retirees' village complex being built just down the hill from us, so there should be a bit more life in town for the restaurants etc
Old Jun 9th 2009, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

NZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
It is looking a bit bleak due to the roadworks I think. But hopefully, the "boulevard" and the reduced traffic levels due to the motorway will give it a nice atmosphere in the summer. There are some scruffy old buildings which could do with demolition but I don't suppose that will happen for a couple of years with the recession etc.
I'm amazed at how many new houses are being built - and very nice ones too - in our part of town. We also have the retirees' village complex being built just down the hill from us, so there should be a bit more life in town for the restaurants etc
Yeah I think you are right...You must be up West Hoe..I wish they would not keep building quite so many retirement places in Orewa. We really could do with some young people stuff...Places to go with families etc. I know that there is heaps of younger people moving into Orewa and they need to cater for that. The surf club would be perfect if was not such a hole...

Last edited by NZGrl; Jun 9th 2009 at 9:00 pm. Reason: Sounding like a whingeing pom...Sorry
Old Jun 9th 2009, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

zoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nice

Being new to the area I can't really make any comparisons with how it used to be, but I do think the road works are not helping with the feel of the place. Also, there does'nt seem to be any community or sports hall or any "heart" to the area. Some cafes and shops, but no soul.

The weather definately makes things seem worse too!
Old Jun 12th 2009, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Orewa does look a bit pants compared to last year but apparently (!!) it will look good when it's finished. I'm at the other (South) end so I'm only really affected when I head up into Orewa itself. It's a nightmare to park now though and I find myself missing turn-offs because the traffic cones have been moved or blown.