Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Whats happening with the NZ Dollar!!

Whats happening with the NZ Dollar!!

Old Nov 29th 2005, 8:47 am
Sly
Just Joined

Sly is on a distinguished road
Default Whats happening with the NZ Dollar!!

At the time of this post - £1 = $2.45..????????????????? :scared:
Is anyone in the same position as us in that we are moving to NZ very soon and are very alarmed at this current rate?
Is there anyone out there with a crystal ball, coz when we were first looking at house prices we had enough left over for this
http://www.boatsforsalenz.com/photo_gallery.htm
and now all we can afford is this
http://www.incept.co.nz/K37D.htm
Basically we need a genuis out there who can predict the future. Is the NZ Dollar going to drop soon or will I have to stop eating Lobster Thermidor?
Old Nov 29th 2005, 9:00 am
turkeytickler

Default Re: Whats happening with the NZ Dollar!!

Originally Posted by Sly
Is anyone in the same position as us in that we are moving to NZ very soon and are very alarmed at this current rate?
Is there anyone out there with a crystal ball, coz when we were first looking at house prices we had enough left over for this
Basically we need a genuis out there who can predict the future. Is the NZ Dollar going to drop soon or will I have to stop eating Lobster Thermidor?
It is generally seen as being overvalued at present and due for a correction... when that will come i dont know since interest rates are still likely to rise to curb consumer spending....

Old Nov 29th 2005, 5:00 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sly
Now if anyone really had a clue they probably wouldn't be on this forum as they'd have made their millions on currency speculation and be enjoying the fruits of their hard earned labour on some tropical island paradise. (NZ??)

Seriously, consensus seems to be that the dollar is due for correction but as to the timing - anyone's guess. Some have said within a year, not too sure. I would guess at it being closer to $2.7 by the end of next year, based on nothing economical at all!! That's my completely personal guess, any more takers?

And if it hits $3 at any time, I will be buying some NZD.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 6:27 pm
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Now if anyone really had a clue they probably wouldn't be on this forum as they'd have made their millions on currency speculation and be enjoying the fruits of their hard earned labour on some tropical island paradise. (NZ??)

Seriously, consensus seems to be that the dollar is due for correction but as to the timing - anyone's guess. Some have said within a year, not too sure. I would guess at it being closer to $2.7 by the end of next year, based on nothing economical at all!! That's my completely personal guess, any more takers?

And if it hits $3 at any time, I will be buying some NZD.
it was pretty stable at £1/$3.5 a few years ago but has crept progressivly down since then..... although i dont know if this is the norm and the last few years have been an anomoly, but im keeping my UK income in the UK for now

Old Nov 29th 2005, 9:58 pm
Isle of Wight Chick

silvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant future

i hope the dollar gets stronger. that means i wont need to save up as much for my visit back home.
but i also hope it gets weaker for those of u moving out here or those who are still using their pounds.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 11:24 pm
livewire

I reckon the real agenda with the NZ dollar is for it to gain parity with the Australian dollar.

It would make trade within the Pacfic countries a lot easier. Perhaps we'll even see the Oceania equivalent of the Euro in the coming years, wonder what they'd call it.................

Old Nov 29th 2005, 11:30 pm
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by livewire
I reckon the real agenda with the NZ dollar is for it to gain parity with the Australian dollar.

It would make trade within the Pacfic countries a lot easier. Perhaps we'll even see the Oceania equivalent of the Euro in the coming years, wonder what they'd call it.................
the kangiwi?

Old Nov 29th 2005, 11:33 pm
livewire

Old Nov 29th 2005, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

Location: I'm a Brit who's lived in Auckland for the last 2 years
NZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by livewire

Absolutely, it's almost 1 for 1 now and asctually the same currency thing has been suggested a short while ago. The currency of choice of course was the Aussie Dollar - chosen by the Aussies. At the time the Aussie economy was (and pretty much still is) in the topilet so the Kiwis told them (rightly IMHO) to get stuffed.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

CWEMM02 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Sly
There was the OECD report (I think it was OECD, it is on my email at work) that was released today. The report showed NZ growth slowing from 4.4% this year to 2.8 % next year. It also looked at relative cost of housing and found that only the Netherlands had a level of mortgage to income than New Zealand. I think it was 129%. The report is suggesting a soft landing for the New Zealand economy and also agrees with Bollard that house prices may indeed fall in the near future. As I trade some currency in my current job I do get lots of information sent my way. Exchange rates are being driven by spreads in interest rates more than anything else at the moment. As you have the likelihood of increased rates in NZ while steady to lower rates in the UK, it is likely that over the next 12 months you will not see much of a change in the GBP/NZ rates. Rates in New Zealand are not expected to decline until well into next year. I feel a little luckier in that my Canadian dollars are likely to grow in value against NZD over the next 12 months due to sticky oil prices, a strong trade surplus. Canada also is the only G7 country with a fiscal surplus too. I would think though that converting GPB to NZD would not be so bad if you watch for some dips. Then put the funds into some high yeilding bonds I have been told about by a financial planner in Christchurch. Use the funds to offset rent and then you live in the house for less than the annual interest on the mortgage while you wait for a property correction and lower mortgage rates.

Best of luck

Michael
Old Nov 30th 2005, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I just had to change a large amount of £ to $ and got 2.43 - ouch! The trader reckoned it's liklely to bottom out at about 2.4 and there will be a correction some time next year - 2nd or 3rd quarter. So it may be worth hanging on if you can - we want to buy a house so had to bite the bullet.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmmmmmm............

Interesting (excuse the pun!).......my prophesy, £1 = 2 NZ$ by this time next year and with NZ interest rates approaching, if not in, double figures.

But remember I am by nature a misery and also have a healthy liberal dose of cynicism.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 9:14 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by turkeytickler
it was pretty stable at £1/$3.5 a few years ago but has crept progressivly down since then..... although i dont know if this is the norm and the last few years have been an anomoly, but im keeping my UK income in the UK for now
I can't remember the dollar being as strong as 2.45 in the 15 years since I have been with my kiwi now husband (that's not to say it hasn't been though). I can remember 2.7-3 being the norm and yes sadly it has strengthened tremendously over the past 2 years when it was at $3.

Lord of the bl**dy Rings has an awful lot to answer to in my opinion!
Old Nov 30th 2005, 9:18 am
turkeytickler

I can't remember the dollar being as strong as 2.45 in the 15 years since I have been with my kiwi now husband (that's not to say it hasn't been though). I can remember 2.7-3 being the norm and yes sadly it has strengthened tremendously over the past 2 years when it was at $3.

yeah - next time i see a hobbit im gonna throw rocks at it!

Old Nov 30th 2005, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

chez is an unknown quantity at this point

May 1996 2.20NZ to the pound

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.