Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

whats the first step

whats the first step

Old Oct 13th 2006, 11:53 am
Account Closed

eileen35 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question whats the first step

hi ,just wondering what the first step is.We are going to start on january,let xmas get by.Any advice on what you do first.Any good companies to go with.Do you need to have work lined up before you go?how much does it cost to ship your furniture over?
Definetly fancy Wellington.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 12:34 pm
within Touching distance

GowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to all
Default Re: whats the first step

Originally Posted by eileen35
hi ,just wondering what the first step is.We are going to start on january,let xmas get by.Any advice on what you do first.Any good companies to go with.Do you need to have work lined up before you go?how much does it cost to ship your furniture over?
Look at www.immigration.govt.nz in the first instance. I cannot advise strongly enough NOT to use an agency. Do it yourself, its fairly straightforward and you will save £1000's. Good luck
Old Oct 14th 2006, 2:17 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

What GowHow said

And welcome to the forum , now you've found here you should be able to DIY your way through the whole process and not have to give your precious money to any agents.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 10:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sky
What GowHow said

And welcome to the forum , now you've found here you should be able to DIY your way through the whole process and not have to give your precious money to any agents.
thanks gowhow and sky,
looked that page up but cant see hubbys job in skilled migrant,though theres definetly loads construction work over there.hes an external and internal wall plasterer,so he probably would find work easily enough.
im looking up courses for myself here too as well,maybe then we could get in through skilled migrant.
read post further back about family who sold everything here and hired campervan over there,now they have jobs and house etc.sounds brilliant,but what kind visa do you apply for then?and where would all your stuff go furniture etc?
appreciate all the help we can get
eileen
Old Oct 17th 2006, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Brianbrain will become famous soon enoughBrianbrain will become famous soon enough
Question Re: whats the first step

We are also in the first "throws" of investigating NZ - new life etc etc. Hubby an HGV driver and as this on Immediate shortage list but not on long term it is important to have a job etc and although I realise agencies cost they also provide a service useful when it's not as simple a process as applying with residency. Just a thought....... confusing innit!!!!!
Old Oct 17th 2006, 4:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Brianbrain
We are also in the first "throws" of investigating NZ - new life etc etc. Hubby an HGV driver and as this on Immediate shortage list but not on long term it is important to have a job etc and although I realise agencies cost they also provide a service useful when it's not as simple a process as applying with residency. Just a thought....... confusing innit!!!!!
hi brianbrain,
its really confusing as we havent fully decided where in new zealand either.
we are pretty sure about wellington but have started looking at hamilton also
and now im going to go to college see if i can learn something to use in skilled migrant category as hubbys job comes under immediate shortage also.
but he does have couple city and guilds he,ll have to try and find them though.but we seen they count on points list also.
what part are you thinking of moving to?
Old Oct 17th 2006, 9:07 pm
Account Closed

cherry will become famous soon enoughcherry will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Brianbrain
Make sure you have the correct area for a shortage of HGV drivers ,I am a skilled HGV mechanic with a HGV 1 licence and it did not count there .There are plenty of class one drivers there already sorry to say ,been there tried that route .I am lucky I have a job waiting for me next week mending trucks as well as being able to drive them ,not that Iwould like to there ,the driving is diabolical from what I have seen on my last 3 visits and insurance is NOT COMPULSARY .NZ is a no go for good driving .
Old Oct 18th 2006, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Brianbrain will become famous soon enoughBrianbrain will become famous soon enough

Eileen
Looking at Auckland area initially - seems to be where the majority of haulage companies operate. How about you?
Old Oct 18th 2006, 12:56 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

find out if you have enough points?
find out if you can afford to live?
Old Oct 18th 2006, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

hi brianbrain,
its really confusing as we havent fully decided where in new zealand either.
we are pretty sure about wellington but have started looking at hamilton also
and now im going to go to college see if i can learn something to use in skilled migrant category as hubbys job comes under immediate shortage also.
but he does have couple city and guilds he,ll have to try and find them though.but we seen they count on points list also.
what part are you thinking of moving to?
Eileen,
PM StevieB and Karonious (Mrs StevieB) they have just arrived in Hamilton and may be able to give you the inside view,
Donna
Old Oct 18th 2006, 7:53 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I'd like to be a HGV driver on some of the roads over here :scared: :scared: :scared:
The west coast was an horrific experience, I was terrified :scared:
Old Oct 19th 2006, 10:16 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by danny.f
Eileen,
PM StevieB and Karonious (Mrs StevieB) they have just arrived in Hamilton and may be able to give you the inside view,
Donna
cheers danny,
not long till your medicals now.
i seen on your previous post your eoi had been accepted.congratulations
i bet yous cant wait now. have yous got most things sorted?
my daughter had been chatting to guy in hamilton too and he said that wellingtons windy.thats couple people said that now.but a bit winds nothing.
colins still more for wellington anyway as its bigger than hamilton.he still wants city life.
so you get the low down on wellington.and keep us clued up.
do yous know anyone in wellington?
Old Oct 19th 2006, 10:28 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there Eileen,
don't know if I can offer any help at all but saw my name mentioned and thougth I should check in with you - it would be rude not to
First of all - we have been here all of 15 days, spent the last 3/4 years thinking about it - don't think any longer - DO IT!
Don't know anything about the line of work mentioned but could ask at work it you think that would be helpful.
By all means ask what you will - can't guarantee sensible answers Not always helpful but may offer some light relief
Steve isn't working at the moment, may be able to research for you as a means to keeping busy.
Karen B
Some karma to help you on your way!
Good luck
Old Oct 19th 2006, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

cheers danny,
not long till your medicals now.
i seen on your previous post your eoi had been accepted.congratulations
i bet yous cant wait now. have yous got most things sorted?
my daughter had been chatting to guy in hamilton too and he said that wellingtons windy.thats couple people said that now.but a bit winds nothing.
colins still more for wellington anyway as its bigger than hamilton.he still wants city life.
so you get the low down on wellington.and keep us clued up.
do yous know anyone in wellington?
Wellington has a "windy season" about now until Christmas, but then, so can the whole country... it's just a part of Wellington's character - I can hear the chuckles as I type this!! Auckland has humidity and mosquitoes, Nelson and Christchurch have winter pollution from uncontrolled wood/coal fires, Dunedin is freezing in winter - why travel to the other side of the world to recreate a British winter? - Taranaki has a mountain about to explode - there are reasons not to go to each part of Nz.

Look for the positives - if you like being close to city life but want to be within 10 minutes of surfing, fishing, boating, tramping - that's kiwi for hiking - in the bush - that's kiwi for wilderness - with lots of job opportunities - Wellington may well be the place for you!!
Old Oct 19th 2006, 10:52 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha,
just read your profile Eileen ,
Scottish and a prolific reader?
Hamilton beckons!!
I have just posted on the Kiwi Bar about joining the Library here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.