Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What's everyone doing on New Year's Eve?!

What's everyone doing on New Year's Eve?!

Old Nov 18th 2013, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

ianrobbo has a brilliant futureianrobbo has a brilliant futureianrobbo has a brilliant futureianrobbo has a brilliant futureianrobbo has a brilliant futureianrobbo has a brilliant futureianrobbo has a brilliant future
Default Re: What's everyone doing on New Year's Eve?!

Originally Posted by e4ebs
In previous years we've kept it low-key apart from one year where we camped out with friends.

This year we will be in Wellington for a visit - any suggestions on things to do, places to go?!

Picton - Great Place, wonderful people + Plenty wine :-)
Old Nov 25th 2013, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianrobbo
Picton - Great Place, wonderful people + Plenty wine :-)
I still appreciate the Welly public library/ Clarks cafe. Coffee is one of the best in nz. and love their christmans cakes.. I just arrived in Welly 2 weeks ago... made me cry.

Beer coffee foods everything tastes fantastic .
Attached Thumbnails What's everyone doing on New Year's Eve?!-asb1.jpg   What's everyone doing on New Year's Eve?!-asb30.jpg   What's everyone doing on New Year's Eve?!-asb21.jpg  

Last edited by crap coffee; Nov 25th 2013 at 10:12 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 10:19 pm
seenbeendonenocriesnowhys

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute

Going Bed....why, what, where , how...not decided, who can plan that far
In advance
Old Nov 26th 2013, 12:23 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crap coffee
I still appreciate the Welly public library/ Clarks cafe. Coffee is one of the best in nz. and love their christmans cakes.. I just arrived in Welly 2 weeks ago... made me cry.

Beer coffee foods everything tastes fantastic .
I love the beer out here! I've tried so many different ones since arriving. I'm particularly partial to a Pilsner nowadays - Emersons or a Rogue Hop go down way too easily
Old Nov 26th 2013, 7:02 am
JPA
Forum Regular

JPA is an unknown quantity at this point

With zero availability on the Cook Strait ferries (thanks to that pesky propeller) we will not be camping on the South Island. So plan B, camping somewhere north.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 5:06 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I will be in the UK having a few drinkies with my Dad and anyone else who happens to turn up
Mr S won't be there this year so we can't try and get him to do the first footing again. He thought us 'poms' were playing a joke on the unsuspecting NZer by trying to get him to leave the house at 11.55pm and only come back in after midnight. My Dad did it instead. It was only when various people came knocking later on that he realised it was actually for real

I feel a nasty hangover coming on already...
Old Nov 26th 2013, 5:58 pm
seenbeendonenocriesnowhys

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute

I cant binge anymore, I cant eat my kids left overs at festives times I cant finish my wifes curries, when we go to a restaurant, I cant order that extra parratha, or naan,
I cant watch sport alone and enjoy a good beer and pie.I cant finish off a bottle of congnac, I cant enjoy being able to take my drink, like before, I cant enjoy getting
Up in the middle of the night, and finishing, the last morsel of pork pie, sausage roll,
Mince pie, with pickeled onion, with a gulp of the last dregs of punch......
Happy new year.... bahhh Humbug...oh god whats left in life, whats going to happen to me...now I find a xmas cracker wise ass note...
" Life is like a book , and if you can read this, your epilogue is still not been written"
Ahh coffee , yogurts, and muesli ..what a future !!!
Old Nov 26th 2013, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

I haven't heard the term 'first footing' for quite some time.
Here is a short piece from the web which may any answers on what it is.

==========
‘First Footing’ is a long held tradition that is said to ensure that good fortune will be brought into the house on Christmas morning, or more usually on New Year’s Eve. One tradition says that a dark man , who should be an uninvited stranger should enter the house after midnight. He, the ‘First Footer’, should enter the house carrying a piece of coal, a slice of bread, a pinch of salt and an evergreen. Try and avoid a strange woman, or someone with red hair, or someone with cross-eyes or flat feet entering the house for the first time on Christmas morning or New Year’s Eve as traditionally it is said that disaster will strike and misfortune will stay throughout the year! If you are in the mood for cleaning on New Year’s Day it is said to be disastrous to do this before midday or you will sweep out your quota of good luck for the year.

Take something out of the house on Christmas morning before something is brought in to encourage prosperity and health throughout the next year.
==================
Old Nov 26th 2013, 7:48 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Never heard of the need for it to be an uninvited stranger, it's always been the first one over the threshold in the new year. Should be male, dark haired and carrying a lump of coal, no need to bring all that other stuff! Though those sort of traditions tend to vary a lot by locale...
Everyone who turned up asked about the first footing, MrS was starting to feel a little foolish for not believing us

Do like the one on not cleaning on New Year's Day, it's a good excuse [not that I've ever known anyone clean that particular day anyway]
Old Nov 26th 2013, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

kiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snaps
I haven't heard the term 'first footing' for quite some time.
Here is a short piece from the web which may any answers on what it is.

==========
Try and avoid a strange woman, or someone with red hair, or someone with cross-eyes or flat feet entering the house
==================
That lets the missus out on all counts (hope she doesn't read this)

Pete

Last edited by kiwigeordie; Nov 26th 2013 at 10:53 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Working.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

samboka1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

having my baby hopefully
Old Nov 30th 2013, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

oceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by samboka1975
having my baby hopefully
Good luck
Old Nov 30th 2013, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

oceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant future

Probably still trying to make decision
Old Nov 30th 2013, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Choccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with the baby - I had one of those 21 years ago this New Years Day!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.