Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What's everyone doing on New Year's Eve?!

Old Nov 13th 2013, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

e4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nice
Smile What's everyone doing on New Year's Eve?!

In previous years we've kept it low-key apart from one year where we camped out with friends.

This year we will be in Wellington for a visit - any suggestions on things to do, places to go?!

Old Nov 13th 2013, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's everyone doing on New Year's Eve?!

Am hosting a big Christmas Party this year, but not much on NY Eve.

I'll probably arrange it so that my location on the night includes a spa pool for the drinking of bubbly in.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 1:42 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by e4ebs
In previous years we've kept it low-key apart from one year where we camped out with friends.

This year we will be in Wellington for a visit - any suggestions on things to do, places to go?!

Te Papa Museum in Wellington is fantastic.

A walk along the boardwalk at the waterfront is a nice little leg stretch. You could carry on and walk all the way to Oriental Bay and watch the aircraft come into land at Wellington airport as they use Lyall Bay for navigation.

I took the bus from Central Wellington to Seatoun. A nice little beachside suburb. It probably wouldn't hold your attention for long. I have it in mind to drive to Scorching Bay one day, just for a day trip.

Courtenay Place is considered to be Party Central in Wellington, well, after dark anyway as it's where the pubs and theatres are.

Cable Car Lane is off of Lambton Quay, Wellington. It's a nominal fee to ride the funicular rail car all the way to the top it takes about ten minutes inclusive of stopping at stations along the way. It's public transport rather than being laid on for tourists but it's still good. There's the cable car museum at the end of the journey at Kelburn. Also The Botanical Gardens are lovely to walk through if you are up that way and want to walk back into Wellington. Butlers Chocolate Café is a nice coffee house in central Wellington and you get to choose a posh chocolate to go with your coffee.

'The Terrace' in Wellington is just a busy street with old houses, offices and hotels either side. It's probably the most prestigious address in Wellington but I wouldn't pay that amount of money to live on such a major arterial road.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Nov 14th 2013 at 2:02 am. Reason: correction
Old Nov 14th 2013, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I shall be as drunk as a skunk and happy as a pig in sh!t...Happy hic New year !!
Old Nov 14th 2013, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

oceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant futureoceane01 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Justcol
I shall be as drunk as a skunk and happy as a pig in sh!t...Happy hic New year !!
Love this reply really made me giggle
Old Nov 14th 2013, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

e4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nice

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Te Papa Museum in Wellington is fantastic.

A walk along the boardwalk at the waterfront is a nice little leg stretch. You could carry on and walk all the way to Oriental Bay and watch the aircraft come into land at Wellington airport as they use Lyall Bay for navigation.

I took the bus from Central Wellington to Seatoun. A nice little beachside suburb. It probably wouldn't hold your attention for long. I have it in mind to drive to Scorching Bay one day, just for a day trip.

Courtenay Place is considered to be Party Central in Wellington, well, after dark anyway as it's where the pubs and theatres are.

Cable Car Lane is off of Lambton Quay, Wellington. It's a nominal fee to ride the funicular rail car all the way to the top it takes about ten minutes inclusive of stopping at stations along the way. It's public transport rather than being laid on for tourists but it's still good. There's the cable car museum at the end of the journey at Kelburn. Also The Botanical Gardens are lovely to walk through if you are up that way and want to walk back into Wellington. Butlers Chocolate Café is a nice coffee house in central Wellington and you get to choose a posh chocolate to go with your coffee.

'The Terrace' in Wellington is just a busy street with old houses, offices and hotels either side. It's probably the most prestigious address in Wellington but I wouldn't pay that amount of money to live on such a major arterial road.

Thanks for those suggestions, will check them out. Visited Te Papa on our way down South when we first arrived in NZ, but it was a very quick visit and would definitely like to explore it again.

Any recommended places to eat? I have been to the KK Malaysian Cafe a few times on overnight work trips and it's was always so yum, so that's definitely on the list for hubby to try out too.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Justcol

Old Nov 14th 2013, 10:01 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for those suggestions, will check them out. Visited Te Papa on our way down South when we first arrived in NZ, but it was a very quick visit and would definitely like to explore it again.

Any recommended places to eat? I have been to the KK Malaysian Cafe a few times on overnight work trips and it's was always so yum, so that's definitely on the list for hubby to try out too.
Places to eat. Um, suck it and see is my answer. There's an Irish Pub that was ok. There's Wishbone sandwich bar chain that I'm not a fan of. 'Sweet Mother's' is a New Orleans themed eatery. Not very posh. However, if you like chowder, fish, gumbo and that sort of thing, you might like it. I liked it.

My husband has been to a few restaurants in Wellington when he's been there on business. 'The Tap Haus' was not much more than ok. He's been to a selection of oriental/curry/malay/Indonesian restaurants in Wellington with his boss and colleagues and found them all fairly, 'middle of the road' regarding food etc.

If you watch the 'Street Hospital' t.v. show about drunks being dealt with at 2am by paramedics in ambulances on standby at Courtenay Place, Wellington. One of the ambulances are parked outside of, 'Sweet Mother's' on Courtenay Place. By 2am you will probably be tucked up in bed, so you don't need to worry about the 'revellers'.

Head for Featherston Street. There's a great restaurant called, 'Portlander' it's the restaurant of Rydges Hotel. The food is lovely. I had spare ribs which where delicious. There's also a steak bar called, 'Steaks on Featherston' or something like that. I haven't eaten there but the menu seemed ok. If you like sushi there's lots of sushi bars on Featherson Street too. It might be a bit hit and miss with regard to what's open because of the Christmas Holiday/Summer Holiday shut down. I'm guessing that a hotel restaurant like Portlander at Rydges would be open. Even in a capital city such as Wellington in peak tourist season,...... oh wait !

Chews Lane is a lovely little lane from the main throroughfare in Wellington to nearer the waterfront. At the end of the lane is, 'The Colonial Carriage Company' it's a hip and happening bar if you just want a drink and a bit of bar food.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Nov 14th 2013 at 10:15 pm. Reason: Featherston Street
Old Nov 15th 2013, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Good question.

Land back from Brisbane in the afternoon. May then head to the Coromandel or Taupo - it's up in the air at the moment.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 5:18 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Flirting with my new neighbors wife I suspect.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 6:26 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

At the moment, on a plane to the UK...

Hope the circumstances change
Old Nov 15th 2013, 8:28 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom1983

Oh dear, everything Ok? 😞
Old Nov 15th 2013, 8:31 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Tom1983

Whatever this is, I will also hope circumstances change for you .

I once had to make a NYE flight for far less than happy reasons & circumstance. Wouldn't wish the same on anyone.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 9:02 pm

Siem Reap is a good Cambodian/Thai restaurant in Wellington on Dixon Street. My husband has been there for an evening meal with colleagues whilst on business in Wellington.

Oh, and how could I possibly forget, 'Crazy Horse' steak restaurant. It's our favourite place to eat in Wellington. With a name like, 'Crazy Horse' it doesn't sound to promising but it's an upmarket steak restaurant. Like anything in life, use your own judgement.

Happy New Year.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Nov 15th 2013 at 9:04 pm. Reason: Crazy Horse
Old Nov 18th 2013, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

Choccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond repute

Landing at Heathrow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.