Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What's for dinner?

What's for dinner?

Old May 23rd 2014, 12:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's for dinner?

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
And we're having fish pie and baked beans - also comfort food! Quite tempted to go carb-mental and do a rice pudding too, seeing as it's friday n'all. How do you do yours, Vital? I bake it with part milk, part condensed milk and about half a nutmeg grated on top. Sometimes I do the pan method with egg (Edmond's style) which dh likes more cos it's like UK tinned rice pud, but I prefer the baked one with crispy edges ... delish!
I bake mine with part milk & part cream ( I love the Lewis Road cream as a special treat). If I've not got cream then I will use all milk. I've never liked the taste of condensed milk.

I also grate lemon rind into mine & like you go mad with the nutmeg. My DH doesn't like the skin, but that's my favourite bit, so I have his .

Having seen the weekend's weather forecast, think I'll be making a steamed treacle sponge tomorrow.

What do you put in your fish pie? Fush, obviously. Always looking for a good fish pie recipe.
Old May 23rd 2014, 2:29 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I bake mine with part milk & part cream ( I love the Lewis Road cream as a special treat). If I've not got cream then I will use all milk. I've never liked the taste of condensed milk.

I also grate lemon rind into mine & like you go mad with the nutmeg. My DH doesn't like the skin, but that's my favourite bit, so I have his .

Having seen the weekend's weather forecast, think I'll be making a steamed treacle sponge tomorrow.

What do you put in your fish pie? Fush, obviously. Always looking for a good fish pie recipe.
Stupid me, I didn't mean condensed - I meant evaporated a la Delia. My husband is a bit of a fat-fusser and would not like it made with cream ... I'd love it! I like the lemon rind idea!

I do a cobbled JO recipe adapted for NZ food and my family's preferences! I buy salmon, snapper etc when it is going cheap and freeze it. I used to buy bags of frozen prawns but they seem to have doubled in price in the last year (?).

I grate celery and carrots and finely sliced onions then sweat it all in a pan with a little bit of chili and sliced garlic (we are all mad about garlic so I use half a bulb in most recipes). I grate in some lemon rind, a little of the juice, season it and make a bed of this lot on the bottom of my pie dish (I used to add grated cheese, which is totally DELISH but the bloody teen has found she cannot tolerate dairy!) and then place bite size chunks of fish all over to cover - sometimes I add prawns or halved boiled eggs. Then I put spinach over it (if I only have frozen block spinach I add it to the cooking veg above instead) and then heaps of delicious mash which I usually make using heaps of butter or, if dh is there to see, I use natural yoghurt and nutmeg, sometimes I add cooked, blended peas (so good). Bake and gobble with baked beans ... scrummy!
Old May 23rd 2014, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I've yet to start making my dinner just got in and sat down with a cuppa but hoping to make some Pad Thai kind of affair with chicken left over from yesterday.

I am definitely into the carb loading. I made pineapple upside down cake last weekend and rice pud the weekend before.

These days I do my rice puds in the slow cooker; 1 litre of milk and 1 cup of rice with some sugar and a knob of butter. OH doesn't like nutmeg, otherwise I would have a ton of that too. Cook for 2.5 to 3 hours, or more according to how browned and crispy you want the edges.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 1:34 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Ate out Chinese Hainanese..... Fried rice with all bells and whistles, mixed veggies in nice garlicky sauce, and black pepper squid with green pepper and spring onions.

Lying on the sofa feeling like a beached whale at the moment. Totally stuffed
Old Jul 11th 2014, 3:59 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Last night! I think I've cracked this pizza making business
Attached Thumbnails What's for dinner?-dsc_0024.jpg  
Old Jul 12th 2014, 12:48 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Oh that looks nice.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 3:31 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Persephone
Last night! I think I've cracked this pizza making business
I think you have.

Is that your own base?
Old Jul 15th 2014, 5:12 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Oh that looks nice.
Originally Posted by BEVS
I think you have.

Is that your own base?
Thanks, give me your addresses and I'll post you a slice

Yes, I made the dough and the tomato sauce from scratch. That's why it's shaped like a deformed egg
I found adding a small amount of wholewheat flour gave it a bit more taste and made it slightly less like trying to herd cats when rolling it out. I haven't got the hang of that throwing it between the hands thing and can see us having to scrape it off the ceiling if I tried!
It's actually a thin base which we both prefer even though it doesn't look like it in the photo.

This was my pizza-spinach, mushroom and red onion-I prefer pizzas without meat.
He 'decorates' his own pizza to his own specifications...
Old Jul 16th 2014, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Persephone
Thanks, give me your addresses and I'll post you a slice
Nice thought ...thanks...but suspect it may be gorn orf by the time it lands in Malaysia
Old Jul 16th 2014, 5:02 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Nice thought ...thanks...but suspect it may be gorn orf by the time it lands in Malaysia
I'll ask Sue if I can use the BE private jet to courier it across to you then, I'm sure she'll say yes
Old Jul 17th 2014, 12:27 pm

Old Sep 30th 2014, 2:31 pm

Meatballs
Old Sep 30th 2014, 10:10 pm
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Home made burgers new potatoes n veg interesting lol
Old Sep 30th 2014, 10:21 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Meatballs

.... and to you too, missus.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 11:29 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Sea run brown trout caught in the Waimakariri 2 hours ago....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.