Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What's for dinner?

What's for dinner?

Old Oct 27th 2009, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's for dinner?

Home made sushi, piles of it. Had to force feed the kids - but they finally got in the groove and enjoyed. 10 year old finished off with 6 weetbix and 1/2 tin of peaches and most of milk for morning .
Old Oct 27th 2009, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hokey-pokey
Home made sushi, piles of it. Had to force feed the kids - but they finally got in the groove and enjoyed. 10 year old finished off with 6 weetbix and 1/2 tin of peaches and most of milk for morning .
Oh, that's interesting I was reading an article about making Sushi, it was a Cooking with Kids thing and I thought about having a go myself. Do you have to get a special rolly up thing, or could you use something like a bamboo tablemat?

No surprises here, we had boiled bacon again today, served up under another disguise as Bacon and Lentil Soup, made with some carrots, potato, onion, tomato, celery, garlic and lentils of course - nice it was too with a crusty french stick. I saved just enough bacon for another sandwich tomorrow.

I got extremely good value out of that one piece of meat.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

karron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nice

do you expats eat much kumara ?
Old Oct 27th 2009, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Oh, that's interesting I was reading an article about making Sushi, it was a Cooking with Kids thing and I thought about having a go myself. Do you have to get a special rolly up thing, or could you use something like a bamboo tablemat?
I use a proper sushi bamboo roll up thingy . Cheap to buy and dishwasher proof. The first time I made sushi was slightly awkward, but now have it down to a fine art. I rest the roll in the fridge before slicing with an electric knife. Serve with the traditional condiments. Yum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFsPTFkQCNQ

Last edited by Hokey-pokey; Oct 27th 2009 at 8:25 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 6:07 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

The resting in the fridge before slicing and eating is essential, ime.

We (well, 3/4 of us) love baked kumara SLATHERED in butter
Old Oct 28th 2009, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hokey-pokey
I use a proper sushi bamboo roll up thingy . Cheap to buy and dishwasher proof. The first time I made sushi was slightly awkward, but now have it down to a fine art. I rest the roll in the fridge before slicing with an electric knife. Serve with the traditional condiments. Yum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFsPTFkQCNQ
Thanks I will have a scout around the Asian supermarkets and do my usual thing of guessing what the things are. Last time I went I thought I had picked up a packet of plain noodles, until I opened the packet. OMG the most almighty stench overwhelmed me and on closer inspection I found out that I had bought Abalone flavoured. Yeughy!

Today was a meat-free extra cheapy day, mushroom omelette, chips and tinned tomatoes. This coming week is going to be interesting with only $48 to last until payday.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Thanks I will have a scout around the Asian supermarkets and do my usual thing of guessing what the things are.

Saw them in Woolworths today $ 3.99 . Hope payday isnt too far off.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 8:27 am
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point

LO and I had tuna pasta leftover from last night, OH (late shift at work) took left over rice, lentils and noodles (which he also had last night, and erm, the night before.... bless him... but it's good nourishing stuff!) LO and i also had pudding tonight! egg custard with an egg and 1/4pint milk - 4 mins in the microwave! yum... tomorrow is pasta casserole (and lunch the day after... we're on a cheap week too! chopped onion, herbs, tin of baked beans, tin of chopped toms, tin of water and a couple of handfuls of pasta... lid on and an hour in oven at gas 5)... much nicer than it sounds, honest!!
Old Oct 28th 2009, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My OH rarely complains at what he gets for dinner and luckily he will eat most things, however he does draw the line if he feels there's too much rabbit food, rice and pasta. Without thinking much last week we had: Spaghetti Carbonara, Tortellini and Lasagna, one after the other and he was none too impressed with "friggin' pasta week" at all.

So I'm thinking pasta will be off the menu for a week or two, at least until he has recovered from the recent overload.

I am praying for Pak and Save to have $10 chickens when I go shopping tomorrow, that will then see us through three days dinners - Sunday to Tuesday and I get paid on Wednesday. I'm sure we'll get by with a few essentials, bread and milk and some fresh veggies.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

"fast, cheap and good - pick two. If it's fast and cheap it won't be good. If it's cheap and good it won't be fast. If it's fast and good it won't be cheap. Fast, cheap and good... pick two words to live by"
Under the circumstances this made me
Old Oct 28th 2009, 7:46 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

We had chili (sin carne), cheap, nutritious and easy to make. For me, easy and fast to make is crucial, I hate cooking
Old Oct 28th 2009, 9:25 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karron
do you expats eat much kumara ?
yep at the right time of the year.
and no I don't live in Dargaville.......
Old Oct 28th 2009, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

karron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nice

i first had it about 20 years ago in new zealand and when back there 2 years ago my wife got a taste for it,now she hunts it down in sainsburys etc. now explain the dargaville bit
Old Oct 28th 2009, 10:48 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

that's the area where most of it is grown......
Old Oct 28th 2009, 11:01 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Last night was bowls of pasta carbonara.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.