Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What's for dinner?

What's for dinner?

Old Sep 6th 2012, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's for dinner?

Originally Posted by scottishstacey
im feeling hungry now! this threads even good, im always running out of dinner ideas and sometimes end up just buying microwave rubbish. want to start cooking things from scratch even if its at the weekend when i have more time. Also waste food which i need to stop!
Not sure if you are arrived here yet but i'm assuming not........if you thought microwave food was rubbish in england - you wouldn't want to touch it with a stick here. I was never a fan anyway - but the tesco finest and M&S stuff would be alright.

I love making a mission out of what nice things i can cook frugally and without waste. The more you cook, the more larder/fridge store stuff you have laying about so you can whip up amazing things for next to nothing and try and get inspiration off the next for what to do with what i have in the fridge.

Gonna do a massive tray of roast veggies tonight and have it with some chicken breast, but those veggies will go in bubble and squeak, pizza, pasta and frittata over the next week. bargain and yummy!
Old Sep 6th 2012, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Set the scene : New World Supermarket:

I had decided me and him needed a bit of UK winter comfort food , so bought a Frey Bentos Steak n Kidney pie.

I knew what was probably going to happen as it's happened similarly before.

Checkout woman has a fit of complete quizzical astonishment, pauses , turning offending tin around in her hands -

Her - as though touching a mouldy, stinky dead fish : "What is it?"
Me - deadpan : "A steak and kidney pie".
Her - " Really ! I've never seen this before !!"
Me ( play up accent like a cheerful cockney type sparrow type ) - "Give it over 'ere then . I'll check the sell-by date coz they've been on your shelves for over a year"
Her - " Is it an ..............English thing then?" Expression = http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...ilies/puke.gif
Me - " Yup ! Post war Britain. Used to sell 'em in the co-op shop . My Mum stockpiled 'em. Great when there was no meat to be had & tea might be bread with old dripping. I'm older than I look y'know."
Her --------- the sound of golden silence. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...es/biggrin.gif

I have also received a 'Good god, what do you do with that?'. Answer ' Hand it to husband to make tea'

Haven't got around to 'Mind your own effing business' yet.
I will admit that I have never tried one of those pies - but it just seems wrong - pastry in a tin???
Old Sep 6th 2012, 2:28 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ
I will admit that I have never tried one of those pies - but it just seems wrong - pastry in a tin?
It works It really does.

It's prolly a generational thing. Ask yer grandma.

Tonight is undecided .
Either cornish pasties or quiche. Both home-made of course except for the baked beans to go with it. They come in a tin as I wouldn't be arsed to get into that malarky.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hmmm yeah ok then ;-)

Never been a pastie fan either! ha ha!

I'm not against ALL tinned food - baked beans - i wouldn't even consider doing them myself - i mean - why would you??

i eat tinned fish, beetroot, beans, sweetcorn, tomatoes, um, prolly loads of other stuff too - just pie in a tin seems wrong! I guess its what you grow up with though isn't it.

At least you can get decent mayo in NZ without HAVING to buy Hellmans. That drove me crazy in Oz and the amount of people who told me this or that whole egg mayo was actually really good - ergh!
Old Sep 6th 2012, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm yeah ok then ;-)

Never been a pastie fan either! ha ha!

I'm not against ALL tinned food - baked beans - i wouldn't even consider doing them myself - i mean - why would you??

i eat tinned fish, beetroot, beans, sweetcorn, tomatoes, um, prolly loads of other stuff too - just pie in a tin seems wrong! I guess its what you grow up with though isn't it.

At least you can get decent mayo in NZ without HAVING to buy Hellmans. That drove me crazy in Oz and the amount of people who told me this or that whole egg mayo was actually really good - ergh!
What is it?

I've got trouble to find decent mayo here... haven't had it long long time. 10 odd years ago, a decent Italian mayo was available in Welly but not any more because its pricey....
Old Sep 6th 2012, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crap coffee
What is it?

I've got trouble to find decent mayo here.....
Indeed please do tell, as all of the ones we tried were absolutely wrank. The only one that ever passed muster for me is Best Foods Lite (AKA Hellmans) and once we discovered that I couldn't bring myself to try any others.

Today's lazy Friday night dinner is some Al Brown's Burgers, Ciabatta Rolls, bag of lettuce and plastic cheese slices.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 8:34 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Friday and chips for us tonight. Crumb fish and oven chips, peas and tomatoes.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Indeed please do tell, as all of the ones we tried were absolutely wrank. The only one that ever passed muster for me is Best Foods Lite (AKA Hellmans) and once we discovered that I couldn't bring myself to try any others.

Today's lazy Friday night dinner is some Al Brown's Burgers, Ciabatta Rolls, bag of lettuce and plastic cheese slices.
Yes, they are so disgusting, aren't they? - full of thicker/sugar/vinegar... can't stand.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lardyl
scratching me head over why the checkout peeps would be sore over some pies in tins?
hard to scan or summat?

fancy a pie at the mo, a certain someone has introduced me to the joys of steak and cheese, and with me being a bacon and egg man......
What?.....

have had enough steak and cheese pies last week while I was in Welly! I missed the proper nice pies so much! haha...

I don't like pies here.... . Never again I think.

The only decent pies I enjoyed so far was one we had in Waihi! Thank you.

Steamed organic brocollies from mum's garden + Ensure - thats my dinner!

Last edited by crap coffee; Sep 6th 2012 at 9:05 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

What is it?

I've got trouble to find decent mayo here... haven't had it long long time. 10 odd years ago, a decent Italian mayo was available in Welly but not any more because its pricey....
Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

Yes, they are so disgusting, aren't they? - full of thicker/sugar/vinegar... can't stand.
really? Ok - well you can buy Hellmans in my local Countdown (Mt Eden) but its a bit on the pricey side. Heinz Mayo is a bit cheaper and nearly as good. Or I generally buy Edmonds whole egg mayo. Its not totally the time, but its better than the Aussie Mayo (salad cream) version.

Kato's Aioli was quite nice too i thought.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

You could also always make it yourself of course!
Old Sep 9th 2012, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Bev,s is right u can,t beat a good fray bentos

I have just "cooked" beef pickled red cabbage feta cheese and pringles

I thought it worked rather well
Old Sep 9th 2012, 5:54 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Just had venison, garlic mash, carrots and broccoli...mmmmm yum!
Old Sep 9th 2012, 6:21 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

get your own as daughter is sick, son is a fussy eater and hubby has a fat belly
Old Sep 9th 2012, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

really? Ok - well you can buy Hellmans in my local Countdown (Mt Eden) but its a bit on the pricey side. Heinz Mayo is a bit cheaper and nearly as good. Or I generally buy Edmonds whole egg mayo. Its not totally the time, but its better than the Aussie Mayo (salad cream) version
No need to pay the premium for Hellmans, Best Foods is the same thing with a different label and I usually get two or three in advance when it's on special. The Heinz 'Seriously Good' one is a relatively new kid on the block and I have been tempted to give it a try but to date have passed it by, as we can't afford too many failed experiments.

As for making it myself............... life is way too short.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.