Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What's for dinner?

What's for dinner?

Old Apr 22nd 2012, 8:38 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's for dinner?

Originally Posted by crap coffee
there's organic beef mince in uk. why use pork for chilli con carne? yuck!
Believe me when you live in a country where they find 180,000 confirmed cases of 'mad cow disease that resulted in 4,400,000 cattle being destroyed all because of greed and stupidity in stock rearing and scores of people dying as a result........pork suddenly becomes a better option!
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Believe me when you live in a country where they find 180,000 confirmed cases of 'mad cow disease that resulted in 4,400,000 cattle being destroyed all because of greed and stupidity in stock rearing and scores of people dying as a result........pork suddenly becomes a better option!
OMG, dwell on the past much? That was 23 years ago.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 1:36 pm

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Remember the mistakes so that you can learn from them.....and no it was no laughing matter for the families of the victims. vCJD is still occuring in the UK as a result.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 1:38 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Not having much as I'm on a diet again

Having a tasty chickpeas with tomatoes and green beans served with lean grilled chicken, from my tasty low GI recipe book I bought for $10 from a book sale in Palmy. It's a UK book btw
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 1:40 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Remember the mistakes so that you can learn from them.....and no it was no laughing matter for the families of the victims. vCJD is still occuring in the UK as a result.
I watched a progrmme on that the other week was interesting and don't worry about Bo jangles shes always on a Downer must be exhausting
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

my ex partner never seemed to worry about such issue. but I do.
He does eat beef all the time (in both UK & Nz), and he often used to make chili con carne. I freaking loved the stuff he made for me but after he went back to the uk, I don't eat the chilli any more. so tasteless if I make it.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=539160

most of people who live in UK I know - they all say to me British beef 100% safe now. oh... whatever... you would never know... God only knows what the hell is on.....

honestly I would steer clear of beef in UK. or eat organic beef occasionally.

Last edited by crap coffee; Apr 22nd 2012 at 2:16 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by crap coffee
my ex partner never seemed to worry about such issue. but I do.
He does eat beef all the time (in both UK & Nz), and he often used to make chili con carne for me. I freaking loved the stuff he made for me but after he went back to the uk, I don't eat the chilli any more. so tasteless if I make it.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=539160

most of people who live in UK I know - they all say to me British beef 100% safe now. oh... whatever... you would never know... God only knows what the hell is on.....

honestly I would steer clear of beef in UK. or eat organic beef occasionally.
I was guided by wifey who is a microbiologist and she wouldn't eat the beef or any of it's hundreds of bi-products inc buscuits where the extracts were used! We did eat Scottish beef as the regs for them were stricter and the serial number of each beast is traceable like organic beef but a lot cheaper.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by love30stm
I watched a progrmme on that the other week was interesting and don't worry about Bo jangles shes always on a Downer must be exhausting
Must have a slow puter...still thinks I'm in the UK......
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

I was guided by wifey who is a microbiologist and she wouldn't eat the beef or any of it's hundreds of bi-products inc buscuits where the extracts were used! We did eat Scottish beef as the regs for them were stricter and the serial number of each beast is traceable like organic beef but a lot cheaper.
me too.

last night I went to supermarket, thought about buying some breakfast cereal bars (just for fun) - but what? it contains GELATine!!! (I didn't know before) No wonder its sticky base - thought its just sugar, but it was gelatine. gross!
Attached Thumbnails What's for dinner?-am-2.jpg  

Last edited by crap coffee; Apr 22nd 2012 at 2:31 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 9:48 am

Well BJ you might flipantly write off 23 years ago but the people in NZ who know what they are talking about won't.....from NZ blood donorship.....

You must not have lived in the United Kingdom, France or the Republic of Ireland between 1980 and 1996 for a cumulative 6 months or more.

We are not eligable to donate blood as we are suspected of being infected..
Old Apr 27th 2012, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Well BJ you might flipantly write off 23 years ago but the people in NZ who know what they are talking about won't.....from NZ blood donorship.....

You must not have lived in the United Kingdom, France or the Republic of Ireland between 1980 and 1996 for a cumulative 6 months or more
Still I will be flippant, even those that 'know what they are talking about' have put a ceiling on it 1996 and have not seen its a problem for the past 16 years. Something like 175 cases of CJD out of that episode, I think there are enough things to worry about and far more life threatening choices made everyday than eating British roast beef for Sunday dinner. If we stopped eating everything that have been said to harm us over the years, life would be thoroughly boring.

At least the UK does have a plethora of affordable organic and free-range choices and options these days. Most of NZ certainly can't and/or wont afford to be so choosy about the progeny of their food.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 10:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

You must not have lived in the United Kingdom, France or the Republic of Ireland between 1980 and 1996 for a cumulative 6 months or more.

We are not eligable to donate blood as we are suspected of being infected..
We stopped eating beef in the UK for a while during the main "mad cow" hysteria but following advice from my SIL (Consultant Medical Microbiologist), we started eating it again.

I think it's ridiculous that we can't donate blood in NZ . Wonder if it exempts us from organ donation too? Anyone know?

I feel sorry for those that have contracted vCJD, it's a terrible disease but the numbers who have contracted it are small compared to what was initially expected.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 11:09 am
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

I think there are enough things to worry about and far more life threatening choices made everyday than eating British roast beef for Sunday dinner. If we stopped eating everything that have been said to harm us over the years, life would be thoroughly boring.
Agreed.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 11:35 am

Still I will be flippant, even those that 'know what they are talking about' have put a ceiling on it 1996 and have not seen its a problem for the past 16 years. Something like 175 cases of CJD out of that episode, I think there are enough things to worry about and far more life threatening choices made everyday than eating British roast beef for Sunday dinner. If we stopped eating everything that have been said to harm us over the years, life would be thoroughly boring.

At least the UK does have a plethora of affordable organic and free-range choices and options these days. Most of NZ certainly can't and/or wont afford to be so choosy about the progeny of their food.
Maybe in NZ cows can eat grass......instead of each other....
Old May 9th 2012, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

f & c
Attached Thumbnails What's for dinner?-rain-2.jpg  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.