Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What's for dinner?

What's for dinner?

Old Oct 20th 2009, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's for dinner?

I moved here in my mid twenties and had developed super lazy cooking habits
Being in NZ at that time, there was less access to anything pre prepared so I had to cook ...properly

My husband showed me how to make on chicken breast feed a family...(add lots of veg!)
we bought, and continue to buy veg that is in season only...means right now I've had ENOUGH of brocolli LOL

the destitute gourmet has helped me on many an occasion...learning how to make fake maple syrup and make fake condensed milk for cookies

I grate veges into burgers, meat balls etc to extend the meat.
And don't tell my family but I subsitute half the meat for mashed beans in "beef" burgers

My friend makes a meatloaf from oats and flavourings, sticks on a blue cheese sauce and after all these years the teenage boys don't know that it's vege

Oh and also my OH is obsessed with turning every discarded chicken bone into stock for soup
Old Oct 20th 2009, 10:41 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Sounds commendable but what did you actually have for dinner tonight?

We had fresh new potatoes , a tin of Oak beans and leftover chicken and home made sage and onion stuffing.

It's our usual lazy Tuesday fare as we both work until around 5 /6pm on a Tuesday

Husband had a homemade crumble for afters.
Tilly hen got a Silverbeet leaf and some grapes plus her grain. We get eggs
Ducks got their feed. We got eggs.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 10:54 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Tilly

I had a cheese sandwich at midnight was up till late fixing the bleeping computer! Don't know what OH had as he was on the graveyard shift last night I think our dogs have it best in our household
Old Oct 21st 2009, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Did my shopping tonight for the weekend as it will be crazy busy with the long weekend coming up and despite buying a few extras, a magazine and some treats for the weekend I did extremely well to spend just a tad over $130.

Celery looked like a goer $2.00 for a huge head which I will make into soup on Saturday and a piece of boiling bacon will do us for Sunday and Monday with perhaps enough for Tuesday's sandwiches,

Tonight's dinner was spaghetti carbonara, made with a packet of bacon from my rather large stash of $3.99 specials.

I'll share my observation for today on the difference with the Kiwi stylie shopping experience. We have to purchase council rubbish bags from the supermarket, we also have to pay 0.10 cents per carrier bag to carry the shopping home in.

So what would a canny Kiwi do?

Buy the rubbish bags and use them to pack the shopping in.

Go'on, you know it makes sense!
Old Oct 21st 2009, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

alchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Did my shopping tonight for the weekend as it will be crazy busy with the long weekend coming up and despite buying a few extras, a magazine and some treats for the weekend I did extremely well to spend just a tad over $130.

Celery looked like a goer $2.00 for a huge head which I will make into soup on Saturday and a piece of boiling bacon will do us for Sunday and Monday with perhaps enough for Tuesday's sandwiches,

Tonight's dinner was spaghetti carbonara, made with a packet of bacon from my rather large stash of $3.99 specials.

I'll share my observation for today on the difference with the Kiwi stylie shopping experience. We have to purchase council rubbish bags from the supermarket, we also have to pay 0.10 cents per carrier bag to carry the shopping home in.

Reading through these makes me wonder what my 12 yr old will live on! as he survives on sausages and chicken nuggets, wont touch veg, fruit potatoes, and he was brought up no different to my 15 yr old who loves cooking and eats almost anything. Was having a look on ''foodtown'' to get ideas on prices arent chicken nuggets expensive?
Shouldnt have read thread on food started my diet sunday as weve our meds on Thursday, but I;m really hugry now!!
Old Oct 21st 2009, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

who is charging you 10 cents? is it pak and save? I very occasionally use the one here in Richmond and I know they charge for bags, I put everything back in to the cart wheel it out to the car and dump it all in those green reusable bags that I have been given for free on occasion. I should of course remember to take the green bags into pak n save but keep leaving them in the car by mistake.
I will not pay for a plastic carrier, supermarkets are fleecing us enough as it is, New World here in Nelson has just had to back down on its 5 cents a bag policy, shareholders not happy with the lower profits I imagine although the excuse they gave in the newspaper was that customers were 'complaining'.

We pay a contractor $270.00 per year to come and pick up our wheelie bin, we get 52 pick ups for that price, as our rates are 60% less than they were in London I don't mind paying the $270.00.

I've got one of those slow cookers which I used last night to do a curry, cheap beef/spices/potatos etc, not as good as doing a curry in the conventional fashion though but good if I am out all day.....although having to prepare it at 8.00am in the morning requires a bit of a mental adjustment!
Old Oct 21st 2009, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alchris
Reading through these makes me wonder what my 12 yr old will live on! as he survives on sausages and chicken nuggets, wont touch veg, fruit potatoes, and he was brought up no different to my 15 yr old who loves cooking and eats almost anything. Was having a look on ''foodtown'' to get ideas on prices arent chicken nuggets expensive?
Shouldnt have read thread on food started my diet sunday as weve our meds on Thursday, but I;m really hugry now!!
Well he won't eat another suasage once he has tasted our rubbish ones here. I bought one or two packs to compare taste but there is no comparison to the UK ones. Still sausages I can easily do without!! And before you all start.... I have not tasted Doug's sausages as I am in the South Island LOL !!!
Old Oct 21st 2009, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janek
who is charging you 10 cents? is it pak and save?
Yes, Pak n Save, but New World and the Warehouse do too. I don't pay either and take my own bags. Lots of people use the cardboard boxes or do it the way you suggest and just throw the loose shopping straight from the trolley into the back of the car. I couldn't be bothered with all that, as it must be ten times harder to unload when you get home. A re-usable shopping bag costs $1.39 or $2.00 for the cool bag type and they last forever.

It sums up nicely the lengths some people will go to here to save a dollar.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 9:02 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Last night I did two lamb shanks , peas (grown last year and frozen) and onion gravy. Got 4 lamb shanks on special a while ago. Sorry can't remember the price now.
Husband still eating the crumble.

I should of course remember to take the green bags into pak n save but keep leaving them in the car by mistake.
Gawd ! I'm always doing that & then having to either run to the car or dump the lot in the trolley and have to load at the car.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reading through these makes me wonder what my 12 yr old will live on! as he survives on sausages and chicken nuggets, wont touch veg, fruit potatoes,
Now might be a good time to wean him off those or make your own chicken in breadcrumbs and take on board more sneaky ways to bulk out meals with extra veggies, such as adding grated carrot to mince dishes.

If you read the food labels here, most ready made or processed meat products fall to the lowest common denominator i.e, LAMB scraps and are IMO best avoided. Pork 'fllavoured' sausages and beefburgers are usually blended with lamb and thus gives a very unusual flavour. I don't mind lamb if it's meant to be lamb, but it hacks me off when a burger that is supposed to be beef, has lamb featured high up in the contents list. The only way to go is to make your own.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

. Was having a look on ''foodtown'' to get ideas on prices arent chicken nuggets expensive?
Its total madness! They basically contain the gizzards of the chook and a bit of starch and chicken flavouring. Tell the kids whats really in a " chicken " nugget and they'll never touch em again.

Just read Bo- jangles reply. 100 % agree.

Last edited by Hokey-pokey; Oct 21st 2009 at 9:10 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 9:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a Hawaiian pizza at our local bar last night for $10. Bargain. Have to be honest, I don't have a budget for food. I buy what I like when I like. Certainly I do more cooking here, the cook-chill foods are of poor quality & expensive. I tend to get my veg from Fruit World, meat from the butchers & most other stuff from the supermarket.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

gina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hokey-pokey
Its total madness! They basically contain the gizzards of the chook and a bit of starch and chicken flavouring. Tell the kids whats really in a " chicken " nugget and they'll never touch em again.

Just read Bo- jangles reply. 100 % agree.

i dont find them that expensive if you look at all the frozen food here like nuggets etc they are sold in a much larger quantity ( i mean you get around 40 nuggets in the bag rather than usual 15 nuggets that you get in the uk)than in the uk. i dont buy chicken nuggets as theyre yuk yuk yuk, but its just an observation

Last edited by gina and danny; Oct 21st 2009 at 10:39 pm. Reason: wrong number
Old Oct 21st 2009, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

gina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of light

for tea tonight i shall be having old potatoe peelings out of the bottom of the bin, i shall rinse them off then fry them and present them as wedges!!!

as we are all to poor in this country to be able to eat a decent meal

i think not!!!

im sorry for the joking!!
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 4:16 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

pak and save have always charged for bags. That was one of their points of difference.

Admittedly they 'charged' but then the operator would give you them anyway but yep they have always charged.

I actually wish smaller rubbish bags were available. I have no problem leaving the rubbish in the bin (or even paying for bags as I think it does make you think twice about rubbish accumulation) but living with two men who seem to eat a shedload of meat and put the scraps in the bin it makes the bin rather stinky malinki.

I put my scraps and old food (I can't compost where I am) into a bag in the fridge until rubbish day. But I can't get them to do the same!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.