Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What's For Dinner?

What's For Dinner?

Old Dec 23rd 2008, 10:54 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What's For Dinner?

Just wondering what everyone's doing for dinner tomorrow?

Last year, our first Christmas in NZ, we had the traditional roast turkey and all the trimmings. By the time we sat down to it with sweat dripping off our brows everyone was too hot to eat!

This time, despite the rain today, we are hoping for BBQ weather tomorrow. We are having the traditional Kiwi ham, wasabi new potato salad, tomato salad with basil and feta, green salad, coconut, chili and lime prawns on the BBQ, garlic and lemon prawns (BBQ) and crayfish!

Yummie!!! Can't wait!!

Anyone got anything new they are trying?
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 11:07 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's For Dinner?

Um....remembering I am a kiwi....

Traditional Roast Turkey, Traditional Roast Ham, Traditional Roast Chicken, boiled potatoes, roasted potatoes, jacket potatoes (i can see a theme), roasted vegetables (apart from the potatoes!) including peas, parsnips (i think),kumara and punkin.

Followed by pavlova, sherry trifle, meringues, and some weird ice cream thing my cousin makes which tastes divine.

Oh, and salads too. Definitely salads - med salads, greek salads, bean salads, indian rice salads, some weird egg and potato salad.

I would love a BBQ on the beach but that's not how it is done in my family. And for all the people that say it is normal - I don't know anyone who does have that kind of christmas. Weird. You would think I would if it was that common.

BBQ on Boxing Day is likely though. I may have to skip it though because I plan to go to the Church of Westfield and Pray to the Great God Portmans.

And finally, a shedload of Sangria. I have to buy a case of wine for it all today so I can make some.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 11:56 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Steak and prawns on the Barbie for lunch then off to mates house later
Old Dec 24th 2008, 1:02 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Well our first christmas, was a barbecue, this Christmas, will be breakfast smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, then a traditional Turkey with all the trimmings, and a nice cooked ham, Christmas pudding, brandy cream...

started on the wine already and the sausage rolls and chocolates, will be the gym and diet in the new year again!!!
Old Dec 24th 2008, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

kiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nice

Our first Christmas and I never done the turkey meal in UK and not going to break this year, I love to play with the kids seeing what santa brings them
So we are having crossiants strawberries and champange for brunch and then for tea pealla that can be shimmering away whilst I play
Hope you all have a good Christmas

D
Old Dec 24th 2008, 3:20 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

it's a barby.

We've got poussins - but I'm having chicken ( have a thing about eating teeny tiny birds!) a pheasant, a ham, and roast potatoes, and cray fish. Salad
A giant pav for desert.
I know it sounds like loads but there's a big crowd of us.
Also the forecast is very good - I think.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 3:33 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess

Traditional Roast Turkey, Traditional Roast Ham, Traditional Roast Chicken, boiled potatoes, roasted potatoes, jacket potatoes (i can see a theme), roasted vegetables (apart from the potatoes!) including peas, parsnips (i think),kumara and punkin.

Followed by pavlova, sherry trifle, meringues, and some weird ice cream thing my cousin makes which tastes divine.

Oh, and salads too. Definitely salads - med salads, greek salads, bean salads, indian rice salads, some weird egg and potato salad.
We spend Christmas with my Kiwi inlaws and that's our dinner too! I'd quite like Am Loolah's or Pixie Dust's but I don't think they could cope with the loss
Old Dec 25th 2008, 8:54 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

For the first time in 5 years, we spent Christmas Day quietly in our own home & splashed out on a traditional turkey roast.

Smoked salmon and scrambled egg for breakfast.
A walk along the Waimea estuary and around Mapua.

Roast turkey - sorta Jamie Oliver style with all the trimmings.
Christmas Pud.

Pop to see neighbours and friends locally and had a few pop to see us.

Laters - chill and listen to music whilst a-sittin' on the deck.

Cold cuts & salad tea . Mince pies and cheeses

Laze on sofas watching a recorded Oliver Twist.
Old Dec 26th 2008, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

minky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really nice

We had our Christmas Dinner on Christmas Eve turkey etc then after all the present opening took the turkey sandwiches loaded the car up and spent the day at Port Waikato Beach
Old Dec 27th 2008, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

We had the whole trad roast lamb and a turkey rolled roast, but it was kind of cold and raining here so it didn't seem out of place. We were all fulll and went for a walk to visit friends for drinks and then came home at around 4pm for dessert and had left overs, salad and buns for tea.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Well we went to papamoa to spend it with our freinds....

We had Ham chicken totties with skins on homemade coleslaw, salad and a brown rice salad thing which was to die for also garlic bread and mint peas then for afters pavlova fruit salad and this trifle my friends mum made which was nicest i have ever eaten (sry gran) finished off with a bottle of wine and a few hours at the beach ... then later on we all had left overs

Got to say best xmas off my life, who would want the horrible cold frost when you can have the beach , know what i prefer lol

glad to be home in NP though
Old Dec 28th 2008, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Just wondering what everyone's doing for dinner tomorrow?

Last year, our first Christmas in NZ, we had the traditional roast turkey and all the trimmings. By the time we sat down to it with sweat dripping off our brows everyone was too hot to eat!

This time, despite the rain today, we are hoping for BBQ weather tomorrow. We are having the traditional Kiwi ham, wasabi new potato salad, tomato salad with basil and feta, green salad, coconut, chili and lime prawns on the BBQ, garlic and lemon prawns (BBQ) and crayfish!

Yummie!!! Can't wait!!

Anyone got anything new they are trying?
What is traditional Kiwi Ham?? I mean is it cooked in a certain way, what makes it Kiwi?
Old Dec 28th 2008, 7:18 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by teebrown
What is traditional Kiwi Ham?? I mean is it cooked in a certain way, what makes it Kiwi?
No, it's just traditional to the kiwi's to have a ham at Christmas, some say more so than a turkey.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 11:47 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely more traditional to have a glazed ham.

I have to fight to gets me a turkey. Turkey just doesn't seem to have the same significance.

Actually, I realised that we had exactly what I predicted but got to work it off with Killer Volleyball which was fantastic. Basically, it was a team game - if you 'went' for the ball and missed then you were 'out'.

Last one standing wins.