British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   whats the chances of a nursing job offer? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/whats-chances-nursing-job-offer-437337/)

nearly nurse Mar 25th 2007 1:47 pm

whats the chances of a nursing job offer?

Hello from Scotland to anyone who reads this :)

I plan to come to NZ for a holiday in December and by then I will be a newly qualified Registered General Nurse :eek: . I was hoping someone could tell me if it's likely that I may be offered employment at this time to enable me to apply for PR. Also In order to find employment can I contact District Health Boards directly? Any advice welcomed.

claire

Mandie Mar 25th 2007 2:38 pm

Re: whats the chances of a nursing job offer?

Originally Posted by nearly nurse (Post 4559285)

I plan to come to NZ for a holiday in December and by then I will be a newly qualified Registered General Nurse :eek: . I was hoping someone could tell me if it's likely that I may be offered employment at this time to enable me to apply for PR. Also In order to find employment can I contact District Health Boards directly? Any advice welcomed.

claire

Hi Claire, I'm sure this will apply to nursing as it did for me as a midwife, but what you need to do is get your paperwork together to become registered with the Nursing Council of New Zealand before you'll be able to apply for jobs...they have programmes running for newly qualified nurses they may interest you...also do you do elective placements? if yes then how about going to NZ for your elective period...that's what i did and that's how i got offered my job in NZ.
Take care and happy studies

nearly nurse Mar 25th 2007 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Mandie.H (Post 4559376)
Hi Claire, I'm sure this will apply to nursing as it did for me as a midwife, but what you need to do is get your paperwork together to become registered with the Nursing Council of New Zealand before you'll be able to apply for jobs...they have programmes running for newly qualified nurses they may interest you...also do you do elective placements? if yes then how about going to NZ for your elective period...that's what i did and that's how i got offered my job in NZ.
Take care and happy studies

Hi mandi

Thanks for replying. Do you think it would be a waste of time to try and see if anyone would be willing to hire me on the provision of NZ registration? Would I need this before anyone would take me seriously? I wouldnt be able to get it until March next year, as I'v been led to believe the process takes about 4 months and I dont register in the UK untill November. I will do one elective placement but this is due to start in about 9 weeks time so left it too late :mad:

Thanks again, claire.

Jack The Lad Mar 25th 2007 3:58 pm

Im not too sure about nurses, but ODP's need to have 2 years post grad experience before being able to apply.

Might be worth double checking before you get your hopes up :thumbsup:

PS Defo worth getting in touch direct with health boards IMHO :thumbup:

Boopy Mar 25th 2007 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by nearly nurse (Post 4559285)

claire

Yes, contact the DHB's direct. They do need good nurses here. Like Maz says, start the process, with nursing reg (can take up to 4 months) and police checks (can take up to 40 days). Google, Disitrict Health Boards NZ. Contact as many as you want, see what they have to offer you, some offer re location packages, but you can be tied in to a contract.
Good Luck

nearly nurse Mar 25th 2007 8:52 pm

Thanks all for your advice.

Today I had a look at Auckland DHB and searched through the current vacancies. Most staff nurse jobs were asking for experience but I'm hoping this is not essential in all cases. The cost of flights are extremely expensive at the time of year we want to come over (December), airlines want almost 4000 GBP for 3 tickets :eek: therefore I would like to make the trip as worth while as possible on the jobs front to try and justify the expense. Is this just too soon to be making this kind of trip. On our income this is a substantial amount of money.

claire

karonious Mar 25th 2007 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by nearly nurse (Post 4560333)
Thanks all for your advice.

Today I had a look at Auckland DHB and searched through the current vacancies. Most staff nurse jobs were asking for experience but I'm hoping this is not essential in all cases. The cost of flights are extremely expensive at the time of year we want to come over (December), airlines want almost 4000 GBP for 3 tickets :eek: therefore I would like to make the trip as worth while as possible on the jobs front to try and justify the expense. Is this just too soon to be making this kind of trip. On our income this is a substantial amount of money.

claire

If you want to work for a DHB you will be obliged to join the New Grad Nurse programme for a year. I know this is correct for Waikato - I am assuming it is the same accross NZ. This entails 3 placements, supervision, preceptorship and a few written papers (2 000 words I think). You would be paid by the ward that you are on placement with. Otherwise, you will need to be employed in the private sector for a year and then apply to the DHB's. I thought it would be like adding an extra year to my training, so stayed in the UK and waited 18 months. Sir Eglamore's wife is newly qualified - try PMing/emailing him as they would maybe have more information.
Karen B

Mandie Mar 25th 2007 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by nearly nurse (Post 4559508)
Hi mandi

Thanks for replying. Do you think it would be a waste of time to try and see if anyone would be willing to hire me on the provision of NZ registration? Would I need this before anyone would take me seriously? I wouldnt be able to get it until March next year, as I'v been led to believe the process takes about 4 months and I dont register in the UK untill November. I will do one elective placement but this is due to start in about 9 weeks time so left it too late :mad:

Thanks again, claire.

I don't think they'll hire you without a definite registration...but what you could do is in sept get your police checks done so they'll be back by Nov, you could also get the nursing registration forms sorted and all the relevant paperwork up together. so that you'll be able to proceed as soon as you've got your uk registration.

Take your time, don't rush. I think the way to go is going for a New Grad nursing position, it's a brilliant way to consolidate your training and get used to nursing in a different country.

take care

karonious Mar 26th 2007 1:30 am

Gill, of Gill & Rob works in nursing recruitment I'm sure. Try PMing/emailing her for information. She always seems happy to help and offers good advice.

Gill and Rob Mar 26th 2007 6:07 am

Hello
Try doing a search of Nurse Entry to Practice (NETP). This will tell you about the new graduate nurse programme, HOWEVER, as you will see, ONLY NZ trained nurses are eligible to apply. As there has been a change to the way DHB's are funded for new grads I think this is being adhered to quite strictly to ensure the DHB gets the funding. As the academic year starts in Jan/Feb, there are a lot of new graduates in Dec, starting new grad programmes in January. As these tend to be 12 month contracts, you will find there are a lot of nurses who have just completed this first year of practice, who are "on the jobs market" in January.

My personal advice would be to do 1 year back in the UK then apply to NZ, however don't dispair some places may be willling to take you on, but this may be to fill a vacancy that has been difficult to recruit in to. Rotorua is quite a small hospital and I do encourage managers to take on UK new grads, as I know the level of training is somwhat improved on NZ training (Rob is a NZ student nurse).

Our son graduated as a nurse last August in the UK and has found a great job in Manchester. I don't think he would have enjoyed the "new grad" year here, as it is very much is like doing a 4th year.

Any specific questions please just PM me. Also, if Rotorua is on your route, I would be more than happy to show you around the hospital :)

Starting salary for a new grad $40,000

Gill

donnaf Mar 26th 2007 8:06 am

Hi,
we basically e mailed the hospitals that we were interested in and sent them our CVs without being asked - we were approached by 2 hospitals and were given phone interviews and both offered jobs pretty much straight away. We didn't need NZ registration to apply for jobs. We both have years experience so I don't know about newly qualified nurses (we're both nurses)
good luck:)

nearly nurse Mar 26th 2007 8:49 pm

What can i say?!! Fantastic advice from all you guys, its very much appriciated :thumbsup:

Iv definetly got some serious thinking to do. :eek: Things just seem so complicated and confusing but I think the current uni work has a part to play in the brain-mush syndrome I seem to have at the moment :huh:

Gill, I will PM you in the next day or two, thanks so much for the offer. I would do it now but times running out as I need to go to bed (need to get up at 5.15am to go do a 12.5 hour shift!! :blink: ). At least it will be light when I drag myself out of bed because the clocks changed at the weekend and spring is on its way :rofl:

Thanks again to everyone
claire x